The Superhero Literature thread

C.T. Phipps

6 hours ago, Liffguard said:

Eh, fair enough. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with intricate and detailed world building per se. It's that he does it in such an inorganic way. It's pretty clear he cares about magic systems and the rules of how his settings work more than he cares about characterisation, dialogue, prose or just storytelling generally.

I have my own theory, which is probably not going to be too popular and relies a lot on generalisations, but whatever. There's a certain type of internet geek that values consistency of detail, complex rules and nitpicking above all else. We all probably know a couple of people like that. The guys ready to instantly jump on any "plot hole" or wonder why character X didn't just do that one obvious thing to resolve the whole story. D&D munchkins basically. The guys who love to quote Sanderson's law as if it was storytelling gospel. There almost certainly aren't enough of them to explain all of Sanderson's success, but they're probably responsible for a lot of his vocal internet fandom.

That's actually a damn good reason, and i think helps me understand the phenomenon. 

Archived