Undeserved Praise

TimJames

And I hate it when Stannis is so over-hyped by people on the internet

Which moments are when he did his duty? He failed in his duty to his foster father Cressen who brought him up as a son after his father's death. not only does he die in front of Stannis, he is mocked as a clown before his death. He fails in his duty to his true king Robert and runs to save his life. He fails in his duty to his wife and no doubt will fail in his duty to his daughter. Even if the scenario doesn't play out as in the show, he is not so dumb that he doesn't understand that Mel can do that to her if he leaves her alone with her

So which duty has he actually done? Went to the wall? That was Davos's work. He and his loyalist does use the word duty a lot, no doubt, but I would trust that as much as I trust Tyrion's promises of giving up drinking. But for some reason the internet crowd loves him and takes him at face value. Even storm end is praised when it was obvious if he surrendered he would be put to death and he had no option but to fight to suvive

Huh?

Sorry, i won't engage a debate with a person who hasn't read the books.

1. Prince Doran.  He's had 17 years to take a jab at Tywin Lannister.  For 17 years he sat nursing his grudge.  His ace card just got himself cooked in Meeren.  Little Bro picked a fight, cheated even, and still lost. 
  2. Jon Snow.  Too many reasons and even more so now that somebody accurately pointed out he is an accessory to the violation of guest rights.

I hate it. When you guys use this argument, i mean, i won't enter this hole again since it was proven to be pointless. However, i'd like to say that there were a bunch of other moments when he, in fact, did his duty. This was just one moment, you can't judge his whole dutiful reputation by it, can you? Come on, this is just silly.

no its not silly ....i think littledragoncould has explained it well enough...

It could be. But i still don't think he's "overpraised" as being dutiful (well, this is just my opinion).

this whole book is full of a feeling that Rhaegar and Lyanna are worshiped (biggest worshiper is obviously  GRRM).

GRRM is trying his best to make their story as sad and beautiful and perfect as he can. as if they are Beren and Luthien. 

He is right on this track. I am sure next book he will let Howland tell us how beautiful their love story is. 

After reading all 5 books, you get a feeling like this: 

Elia died, her two children died, no problem, nobody care (except Oberyn), because she is not loved by her husband, so it is OK to abandon her and her children and let them die. Aegon and Rhaenys are not products of love, so they are not as good as Jon Snow. 

Then the people of Westeros, thousands of people died, who cares? this is a romantic war. Rhaegar loved his lady Lyanna. then it is understandable to stir a war to claim her. Love is so beautiful. only a bloody war can show us how true and beautiful their love is. Those people who died, nobody even cares. 

Then for Lyanna, she is the best, so lovely and honorable and passionate, everybody said she is beautiful. Rhaegar loved her until death, Robert loved until death. Rhaegar ruined his family for Lyanna. Robert ruined his marriage for her. Ned also damaged his marriage for her. whole country was pretty much ruined for her. Then her child will be the ultimate hero and king (which should have belonged to Aegon) and get everything. Why? because Jon snow is the product of true love. True love is so important. everybody else should just suck it up because their love is so shinning and they love child is so wonderful.

This is quite annoying. 

I don't get that feeling at all. The Martells certainly lament their deaths (as do Dany and Viserys, of course) but a lot of characters express sympathy and/or disgust for the deaths of Elia and her babes. 

Ned definitely cares about Elia and her children and almost broke with Robert over his attitude to their deaths. He is haunted by the sight of those children wrapped in Lannister cloaks and it affects his actions, not just with Jon Snow but in opposing the assassination of Dany and in warning Cersei that he knows her secret so that she can take her children and flee.

Yes, it is shockingly unfair that Elia and her children met such terrible fates - but this isn't a fair universe. Jon and Dany survived because even in this grim world, there were still good men who refused to countenance the murder of children. So a grim world but not one without some hopefulness.

Archived