How does Jaqen H'Ghar know who Arya is?

Hey guys this is my first post so bear with me please. I'm not even sure I'm doing this right. But I'm rereading ACOK for the third time and I'm at the part where Jaqen H'Ghar comes to Arya in the godswood seeking a third name. She proceeds to question him about how he got the spotted bitch to turn on Weese and whether his true name is Jaqen H'ghar. He replies with "some men have many names. Weasel. Arry. Arya."  And also refers to her as "my lady of Stark".

So basically I'm just wondering how he knew. I mean he is a Faceless Man and therefore knows some form of sorcery but all I know of them is that they can change their appearances hence their names. Would anyone be able to shed some light on this for me? I don't think it's all that important but I'm just curious

Welcome to the forums.

That isn't related to magic at all. Just a bit of open eyes and common sense. Arya is consistently dropping hints on her noble education (like being able to read - and taking it for granted!) and her northern sympathies (even beyond dialect and speech patterns). How many northern noblegirls her age need to get out of KL quickly and have enough influence with the NW for Yoren to go out on a limb for them?

The only reason the other NW recruits don't pick it up is their own ignorance of noble behavior and dialects.  And even so Gendry picks up enough hints to ask her.

On 6/15/2016 at 7:57 PM, jasonothegreat said:

There is a theory that I fully support that Syrio Forel is Jaqen H'Ghar

If so, then what's his game? Was he in King's Landing for something else and using Syrio Forel teacher of Arya as a cover? Or just giving lessons on the side? If he was using Syrio as a cover, how could he have known Ned would send for him, or maybe he heard Syrio Forel was contacted by the Hand of the King and killed and replaced real Syrio.

If he isn't, Jaquen being in the dungeons does still beg a question. But I think either scenario needs some serious answers. 

Guest jasonothegreat
On 6/22/2016 at 3:40 AM, Wyman Manderly's Meat Pies said:

If so, then what's his game? Was he in King's Landing for something else and using Syrio Forel teacher of Arya as a cover? Or just giving lessons on the side? If he was using Syrio as a cover, how could he have known Ned would send for him, or maybe he heard Syrio Forel was contacted by the Hand of the King and killed and replaced real Syrio.

If he isn't, Jaquen being in the dungeons does still beg a question. But I think either scenario needs some serious answers. 

I always figured he needed to kill someone in the Red Keep. and He seized an opportunity. But after the betrayal of Ned his plan was probably foiled and maybe the person he had to kill was killed then. Then he Went to the Dungeons to hide. Or he could have been hired to watch Arya who knows how the Faceless men recruit people

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have the books so I can't be totally sure, but I think jaqen has seen her before, while he was on another mission, wearing a different face. So maybe he saw her as arya stark, in KL or winterfell.

I have a question now.. why was jaqen in westeros in the first place? Who was he trying to kill? Do we ever find out?

She left plenty of clues.  Jaqen probably found out that Arya was missing and the Lannisters were looking for her after he joined Lorch's troops.  Once he found that out, the pieces would fall into place rather quickly.  Yoren taking a girl.  Calling herself Arry.  Having a good sword.  Wanting to go to Riverrun.  It adds up quick.

Archived