VS properties Orphan maker and dawn

One-eyed Misbehavin

It's stated in the world book  that Dawn  has very similar properties to VS. And it appeared orphan maker was (maybe) similar in properties.

So if (as many believe) dragon flame or human sacrifice is the key to VS and probably  The main weapon to use against the others,  why would a sword that fell from the sky be effective against the same property of a (very) unknown enemy 

i'm not very familiar with the history of orphan maker so feel free to fill me in

I thought Orphan maker was a VS sword no?  As to why Dawn would have similar properties, it only really shares 1 trait that we know of and that is an incredible, magically incredible strength and hardness.  It doesn't look the same, and is probably not made of iron turned into steal, but it could still involve a human sacrifice and could have even been forged in dragon flame.

5 minutes ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

I thought Orphan maker was a VS sword no?  As to why Dawn would have similar properties, it only really shares 1 trait that we know of and that is an incredible, magically incredible strength and hardness.  It doesn't look the same, and is probably not made of iron turned into steal, but it could still involve a human sacrifice and could have even been forged in dragon flame.

I was unaware but it was VS from what the other person said. 

Do you believe dawn was man made? Or rather "man-improved" never really considered that. Just went with the star fall deal

10 minutes ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

I also posted this twice accidentally

Just now, One-eyed Misbehavin said:

I was unaware but it was VS from what the other person said. 

Do you believe dawn was man made? Or rather "man-improved" never really considered that. Just went with the star fall deal

It's man sized, I mean I guess the Old Ones could've made it but it would be the same process, you still gotta heat it up to work it into a sword shape.  The substance it was made from could explain it's hardness and durability, or it could come from the same process as VS and just be a different color due to being a different metal, which is what I was getting at in my first post.

1 minute ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

It's man sized, I mean I guess the Old Ones could've made it but it would be the same process, you still gotta heat it up to work it into a sword shape.  The substance it was made from could explain it's hardness and durability, or it could come from the same process as VS and just be a different color due to being a different metal, which is what I was getting at in my first post.

Gotcha. Those Daynes are just hoarding on to some secrets 

Sorry I didn't even think about the sword making process you're absolutely right. They had to shape the sword and all that no doubt. Leaves many questions. 

16 hours ago, One-eyed Misbehavin said:

Gotcha. Those Daynes are just hoarding on to some secrets 

Other than the Hightowers (and btw I wonder if we will ever see their longsword, Vigilance) I think the Dayne's might have the most secrets they are hiding.

The thing about Dawn is that it is really a wacky kind of thing. THe founder of the house, in the dawn age, followed a falling star to where he built starfall and forged Dawn with the heat coming off of that star. So it sounds like a meteor or something but with so many millennia the stories are all convoluted and finding a shred of truth is very strange. The one thing we have is that Dawn was forged in the heat of the falling star.

In the heat of discussing what king of magic, material and process went into the creation of Dawn I think people often leave out the question of what meks the Sword of the Morning special. Ok, so we are told that only a knight of house dayne who is deemed worthy may carry the sword. But who does this deeming. This is one of the oldest families in Westeros and the sword was created by the house founder and we have exactly 3 Swords of the Morning that we know of. You have Davos Dayne the husband of Nymeria, Ulrick Dayne who we know nothing about other than that he was considered one of the greatest swordsmen of his time and, of course, Arthur.

I am of the belief that it is not simply the case that the current lord of house dayne can name a knight sword of the morning and hand over the blade nor do I believe there is a test and some obstacle course or whatnot that Dayne family knights take to find out if they get to be SotM. I believe that there is something special about the wielder that forms a symbiotic relationship with the sword. When they hold it something happens. It glows, it feels tingly, whatever.

What this special something is, I believe, is akin to whatever that special something is that makes some Valyrians capable of hatching and riding dragons while others are not. the Dayne's are noted for their pale blond or silver hair and some have purple eyes. So while the sword is something special I think there is something about the wielder which also must be special above and beyond them being a great swordsman or very chivalrous or whatever and it is in that combination, like the combination of a dragon rider and a dragon, that the power of the sword is unleashed.

9 hours ago, YOVMO said:

Other than the Hightowers (and btw I wonder if we will ever see their longsword, Vigilance) I think the Dayne's might have the most secrets they are hiding.

The thing about Dawn is that it is really a wacky kind of thing. THe founder of the house, in the dawn age, followed a falling star to where he built starfall and forged Dawn with the heat coming off of that star. So it sounds like a meteor or something but with so many millennia the stories are all convoluted and finding a shred of truth is very strange. The one thing we have is that Dawn was forged in the heat of the falling star.

In the heat of discussing what king of magic, material and process went into the creation of Dawn I think people often leave out the question of what meks the Sword of the Morning special. Ok, so we are told that only a knight of house dayne who is deemed worthy may carry the sword. But who does this deeming. This is one of the oldest families in Westeros and the sword was created by the house founder and we have exactly 3 Swords of the Morning that we know of. You have Davos Dayne the husband of Nymeria, Ulrick Dayne who we know nothing about other than that he was considered one of the greatest swordsmen of his time and, of course, Arthur.

I am of the belief that it is not simply the case that the current lord of house dayne can name a knight sword of the morning and hand over the blade nor do I believe there is a test and some obstacle course or whatnot that Dayne family knights take to find out if they get to be SotM. I believe that there is something special about the wielder that forms a symbiotic relationship with the sword. When they hold it something happens. It glows, it feels tingly, whatever.

What this special something is, I believe, is akin to whatever that special something is that makes some Valyrians capable of hatching and riding dragons while others are not. the Dayne's are noted for their pale blond or silver hair and some have purple eyes. So while the sword is something special I think there is something about the wielder which also must be special above and beyond them being a great swordsman or very chivalrous or whatever and it is in that combination, like the combination of a dragon rider and a dragon, that the power of the sword is unleashed.

I could be wrong but I feel pretty certain that it was forged from the heart of a fallen star, not in the heat of it.

11 hours ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

I could be wrong but I feel pretty certain that it was forged from the heart of a fallen star, not in the heat of it.

That is possible of course and I think you are far from alone in thinking that. It just seems a little light sabery to me. I really hope we get some concrete answers 

Archived