Greatjon Umber's battlefield experience

So I was randomly pondering on the Greatjon Umber and in particular his fervour for war and battle. And it is tempting to think that it is easy to be enthusiastic about war and the glories of the battlefield until you encounter the reality of it. A lot of people in Westeros talk about the glories of battle, but for the most part people have rather limited actual experience thereof.

But then I tried to list the number and outcomes of the battles the Greatjon has actually been involved with, and it turns out that his enthusiasm for war is based on a remarkable personal success record on the battlefield. We know that the Greatjon participated in Robert's Rebellion, and he was also one of Robb's main commanders in the War of the Five Kings. He also happens to have been part of Robb's winning cavalary host in the last war, rather than the Green Fork host that was defeated under Roose Bolton. So in terms of battles the Greatjon has personally been involved with, I have come up with the following list:

Battle of the Bells - Result: Victory (Enemy routed)

Battle of the Trident - Result: Victory (Enemy defeated and dispersed)

Battle of the Whispering Wood - Result: Victory (Enemy wiped out)

Battle of the Camps - Result: Victory (Massive enemy losses, with remnants fleeing back to the Westerlands)

Battle of Oxcross - Result: Victory (Severe enemy losses, survivors dispersed)

The scouring of the Westerlands - Result (Various Westerland castles captured, mines and livestock seized)

Now, various other experienced Northern and Riverland lords would likely have participated in both these wars, and in most of these battles too, but not all of them are living any longer. At this point in time it can rightly be said that among the living lords in Westeros still of an age to lead armies into battle, the Greatjon Umber must be one of the most experienced and battle hardened you can find. And his success record pretty much speaks for itself. Makes one look forward to his imminent escape from the Twins and return to the battlefield.

To the above list add his hypothetical participation in putting down Balon's Rebelion.

We may also assume that he personally leads forces chasing down and killing Wilding raiders. He seems bloodthirsty enough to do that.

But I would not get excited about him being "the most battle experienced" lord. One could make an argument that Oberyn Martel had seen more combat than the Greatjon had, due to experience in Essos. Tywin Lannister or Bryden Tully also have lots of experience.

Also, I do not see Grearjon as overall commander in those battles, but only as the leader of the Umber contingent.

IMO Lord Umber is more bloodied than most, surely, but lets not go overboard with neither his prowess nor commanding skills ...

1 hour ago, TMIFairy said:

To the above list add his hypothetical participation in putting down Balon's Rebelion.

We may also assume that he personally leads forces chasing down and killing Wilding raiders. He seems bloodthirsty enough to do that.

But I would not get excited about him being "the most battle experienced" lord. One could make an argument that Oberyn Martel had seen more combat than the Greatjon had, due to experience in Essos. Tywin Lannister or Bryden Tully also have lots of experience.

Also, I do not see Grearjon as overall commander in those battles, but only as the leader of the Umber contingent.

IMO Lord Umber is more bloodied than most, surely, but lets not go overboard with neither his prowess nor commanding skills ...

I don't see Umber as a strategic general in the manner of Tywin or Stannis. Rather as a lead-from-the-front tactical battle commander in the vein of Robert Baratheon. And I did qualify it by referring to currently living characters. Neither Oberyn nor Tywin meet this condition any longer.

OK - lead from the front, swing largest pointy piece of metal and scream "Kill!" the loudest of all - that's our boy :)

I missed the "alive in mid 300AC" qualifier - sorry.

You used the term "lead armies into battle" which is vague and IMO can be understood as commanding and not leading from the front.

Archived