Dragon Age

Werthead

I'm assuming mages are the only group to ever cast spells, right? So any typical multiclassed fighter/wizard type is going to have to come from the mage starting class? Because I love me the ranger archetype with minor magic supporting badassedry.

That's the impression I get also, but I don't know for sure. Would love it if someone else speaks up about that if they know for sure. :)

I wish they'd give you a bit more information on what some of the specialization options are. Some are decently self-explanatory, but it seems like others offer completely new skill sets for you to pick from. Blood mage, for instance. None of the mage's skills deal with blood in any way, so they either give you another tree or at least another four spells. I'm actually somewhat impressed with the options.

I'm assuming mages are the only group to ever cast spells, right? So any typical multiclassed fighter/wizard type is going to have to come from the mage starting class? Because I love me the ranger archetype with minor magic supporting badassedry.

The reason the creator doesn't list any specializations is that you can't pick any specializations upon creation, you need to earn specialization points to unlock them. So there's at least some logic in it not being shown.

From what I can glean of blood magic, it is going to be a very special form of magic. It looks like it will deal with mind control and death, but the price of this power is that you pay for it with your own life force (or that of an ally), but I have no further details than that.

Templar is the only specialization with full details, and it lists four new talents along with the attribute bonuses (+2 magic, +3 mental resistance), so I would presume all the specializations follow the same general pattern. An attribute bonus and four new talents/spells.

There will also be no traditional kind of multi-classing in Dragon Age. You can't make a rogue/wizard or a warrior/rogue. You can pick up to two different specializations within your class if you earn enough specialization points, so you can have a shapeshifter/blood magic wizard, or a berzerker/reaver warrior, but that's the extent of multi-classing in DA. Templars are the closest thing to a warrior-caster, since they have some magic-like abilities (Righteous Strike drains mana on melee attacks, Cleanse Area is an AoE dispel and Holy Smite is a mana drain/stun/spirit damage thing), and I presume Arcane Warriors (mage specialization) will be the closest thing to a caster-warrior, though there are no details for them.

For your ranger/caster thing, I suspect the closest you'll ever get is specializing as a Ranger and a Bard with your rogue character. Bards supposedly have inspiring auras and whatnot, which would be the magic aspect of it, and Rangers are pretty much guaranteed to be, you know, rangers.

ETA

Realized I didn't actually answer the question. Yes, the Mage class/origin is the only character to cast magic/have spells. Warriors and Rogues have talents instead of spells.

Archived