Dragon Age

Werthead

Character creator is out, although it seems there's no way to get it directly from Bioware without an account. If you already have a Bioware account (and you probably have one if you've ever registered one of their games), the instructions on how to get it are here. If not, it's probably easiest to go to directly to their new site.

Having to register is kind of annoying, but the character creator itself is neat. There are more options than in any game I've seen (even more than Mass Effect) and you also get to see all of the talents, spells, skills, etc. Their descriptions kind of make me long for the days of the Baldur's Gate series when you were actually given the numbers behind what something would do rather than just "Stuns the enemy" (thanks, but is that for a minute or for 5 seconds?).

Fucking amen. God I hate that in the Final Fantasy games.

"Float: Suspends you in the air." YEAH THANKS A LOT BUT WHAT DOES THAT DO!?

Planescape: Torment is a rather polarizing game. I think it mostly comes down to whether you can empathize with the protagonist. I gave it to my sister (who absolutely loved Baldur's Gate 2) and she gave up on it after an hour or so. It's kind of hard to go from a game where you can not only play a character of whichever gender you want but also customize this character a fair bit to one where you're forced to be this zombie-like human male. I've also heard this complaint on various forums where RPGs were discussed. Black Isle underestimated the extent to which people like customization, although for those who are OK with the Nameless One, it allows a much tighter story.

Checked out the character creator. So you don't get to select additional talents, skills or even spells at character creation? That kinda limits the amount of time I'm going to spend on this, as I'm not the type to tinker with my character's looks too much. I'll probably just stick with one of the less ugly defaults.

Black Isle underestimated the extent to which people like customization, although for those who are OK with the Nameless One, it allows a much tighter story.

Yes, the lack of identification with the protagonist does seem to throw a lot of people.

The design decision that has always utterly mystified me is the class switching. It just doesn't make any sense and is incredibly inconvenient.

Checked out the character creator. So you don't get to select additional talents, skills or even spells at character creation? That kinda limits the amount of time I'm going to spend on this, as I'm not the type to tinker with my character's looks too much. I'll probably just stick with one of the less ugly defaults.

I prefer this. I'd like to play a bit before I start making too many character altering choices.

The design decision that has always utterly mystified me is the class switching. It just doesn't make any sense and is incredibly inconvenient.

Well, it makes sense when you remember that your character remembers nothing of his past lives. He no longer knows how to pick pockets or cast spells, so he has to re-learn those skills from scratch.

I agree that it is inconvenient, from a gameplay viewpoint.

Well, it makes sense when you remember that your character remembers nothing of his past lives.

It makes sense that you don't start out as a mage. It doesn't make sense that you suddenly forget how to use weapons other than daggers if you decide to become one further down the road, though.

Checked out the character creator. So you don't get to select additional talents, skills or even spells at character creation?

You do get to choose them in the real game, but they've disabled the functionality in the character creator. I'm hoping they did it because they'll give us more information about the spells and talents when the game comes out. The character creator is mostly about appearance, although it also works as a test of whether or not your PC will run the game.

It makes sense that you don't start out as a mage. It doesn't make sense that you suddenly forget how to use weapons other than daggers if you decide to become one further down the road, though.

I've never been a fan of class-based systems anyway.

Managed to beat that stupid sign-up system into submission and got my hands on the creator, mucked around a bit. It was really nice to get to read all about the skills and such, and I like that there wasn't a metric fuckton of options as far as character specialization goes. There's enough to be able to give your character the flavour you want, but you won't have to spend ten minutes just browsing through options each time you level up just so you know what to pick.

The new way of making character portraits was cleverly done, I think. Bonus points for that.

And I have to say, the rogue archetype with the two swords slung on their back gave me a nerd-boner. I sure hope they've managed some bad-ass animations for that fighting-style, particularly with the flurry/whirlwind attack talents.

I think it's exactly the opposite, you really have to hate Star Wars to not enjoy KOTOR.

KotOR made me realize what an utterly boring piece of shit that the SW universe really is. :)

Not a bad game however. Though I do prefer Mass Effect, warts and all.

And I have to say, the rogue archetype with the two swords slung on their back gave me a nerd-boner. I sure hope they've managed some bad-ass animations for that fighting-style, particularly with the flurry/whirlwind attack talents.

I'm on a crappy connection so can't access this mystical creator you speak of, but this sounds pretty freaking sweet. My partner and I just pre ordered our copy (comes with a cloth map, eee!) for the 360. The day it comes out, there will be blood when we decide who gets to play it first.

I loved KotOR, and I'm not a Star Wars fan AT ALL. I just hated the massive amount of backtracking you had to do.

Managed to beat that stupid sign-up system into submission and got my hands on the creator, mucked around a bit. It was really nice to get to read all about the skills and such, and I like that there wasn't a metric fuckton of options as far as character specialization goes. There's enough to be able to give your character the flavour you want, but you won't have to spend ten minutes just browsing through options each time you level up just so you know what to pick.
I wish they'd give you a bit more information on what some of the specialization options are. Some are decently self-explanatory, but it seems like others offer completely new skill sets for you to pick from. Blood mage, for instance. None of the mage's skills deal with blood in any way, so they either give you another tree or at least another four spells. I'm actually somewhat impressed with the options.

I'm assuming mages are the only group to ever cast spells, right? So any typical multiclassed fighter/wizard type is going to have to come from the mage starting class? Because I love me the ranger archetype with minor magic supporting badassedry.

Archived