Dragon Age

Werthead

• 6 months later...

Sounds pretty awesome.

I liked the character system so far.

The dearth of magic items is not my favorite, but you learn to live with these sort of things.

The combat could be good. I'm not the biggest fan of real-time-pause though, but you can't get around that with Bioware.

This game looks better and better the more I read about it.

And no in-game boni for achievements? Awesome! Mass Effect's retarded system made you feel as if you were missing out on half the game unless you played it at least four times (three to get the achievements, one to take advantage of them).

I believe this is the first game that I'm really looking forward to that I simply cannot play (since it is strictly dual-core only). Extremely frustrating :(

On the plus side, by the time I am able to play it, it should be quite cheap.

I believe this is the first game that I'm really looking forward to that I simply cannot play (since it is strictly dual-core only). Extremely frustrating :(

Thought about getting a 360? The interface obviously won't be ideal but it's probably the cheapest way to play it, and I might cave myself.

They've said on the forums that single core machines should be okay, if they are 2GHz or faster.

Thought about getting a 360? The interface obviously won't be ideal but it's probably the cheapest way to play it, and I might cave myself.

If I could afford a 360, I could also afford a decent new motherboard and a dual-core processor (although not a brand new one, and probably not a quad) ;)

So no, that doesn't help.

The news about the single-core specs is interesting. I'm running 3GB of RAM and have a half-gig graphics card, so that might take up some of the slack, and I can run games like Crysis and The Witcher without any major issues.

The only problem is that Dragon Age likely won't have a demo I can run to see if it's going to work. Wonder if there's a benchmarking tool for it?

EDIT: Okay, looks like DAO will work - just - on my PC. So will probably give it a go, although it's still two months until it comes out.

* goes off to check *

EDIT: Okay, looks like DAO will work - just - on my PC. So will probably give it a go, although it's still two months until it comes out.

* goes off to check *

Heh. Reminds me of when I first played Baldur's Gate... on my mom's 100 mhz dell. Yeah, it pretty much ran like shit. It was like a slide-show, but I made it to the end! :)

Then when I replayed it a year or two later on my new computer, I was blown away that the game actually had moving images. ;)

• 1 month later...
Yep, that little marketing gimmick caused quite an uproar on the Mass Effect boards recently. Note to self: don't visit video game forums. They are silly places.

QFT. I'll browse them from time to time, but the frequency with which fanboys gang up on anyone who says anything critical always scares me away.

what is up with all the blood in this game? Is it really necessary to have your character covered head to toe in blood after killing a few rats?

They've said that you can turn that off if you want; their marketing department is just slightly obsesses with sex and violence.

On the bright side, they're going to release a character creator next Tuesday which will allow you to design your characters and save them for use in the game. Since it uses the full game engine, it also serves as a demo of sorts and you can use it to tell whether the game will run on your PC (though of course it won't give you the frame rate in large battles).

They've said that you can turn that off if you want; their marketing department is just slightly obsesses with sex and violence.

I just wish it weren't to the wrong effect. If only they could implement it properly - instead of adding gore which spurts in gratuitous, monochromatic crimson fountains, perhaps give it a more realistic, visceral tone.

Graphics by now should at least give the vaguest emulation of real life violence. Let the characters scream in horror and agony as half their arm has been cut off, or let their bodies twitch with their head partly caved in and the brain visible. It doesn't need excessive red viscous - just enough to give the immersible illusion that lots of people are getting hurt in brutal ways, and they definitely feel it. Enemies who are reduced to their human elements in their pain. Where's my Saving Private Ryan violence?

Violence as it is in RPGs only seems comical. If we're going to celebrate violence, it might as well be done right.

As for sex, no way this can be done without becoming hilarious. Until graphics overcome uncanny valley, sex/intimate contact (including kissing) should be proscribed from video games. It just doesn't work.

I just wish it weren't to the wrong effect. If only they could implement it properly - instead of adding gore which spurts in gratuitous, monochromatic crimson fountains, perhaps give it a more realistic, visceral tone.

i agree with that, altho not the graph that follows. I'm a little sickened by the amount of violence in games, and the unending fountains of blood. Ninja Gaiden 2, for instance, was ridiculous with that shit. And the videos ive watched of Dragon Age have been equally retarded. In a brief Human intro you fight some rats with a friend and a dog. All three end up covered in blood...its creepy and entirely inappropriate, imo.

Archived