Dragon Age

Werthead

[quote name='Werthead' post='1445733' date='Jul 18 2008, 10.25'][i]Dragon Age[/i][b] [/b]is [url="http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=193020&site=cvg"]going to be released [/url]on consoles.

There's also more about the game's party system [url="http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=192837&site=cvg"]here[/url].[/quote]

*hyperventalates*

Looks like I won't have to fork over hundreds of dollars for a new high end computer afterall. Here's hoping it's a good port unlike a certain RTS game that was recently ported to the Xbox :P...

[quote name='Werthead' post='1445733' date='Jul 18 2008, 15.25']There's also more about the game's party system [url="http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=192837&site=cvg"]here[/url].[/quote]
Ooooh. Me likey. :)

[quote name='Intercept' post='1446716' date='Jul 19 2008, 01.06']I'm most excited about the origin story. I want to a guy raised by priests who turns out to be a pathological killer.[/quote]

And has nice business cards and listens to Phil Collins?

[quote name='Anatole Kuragin' post='1446722' date='Jul 19 2008, 01.26']And has nice business cards and listens to Phil Collins?[/quote]

He does enjoy listening to "In the Air Tonight" while dancing about on the leathered skin of a dwarven convict.

[quote name='Intercept' post='1446727' date='Jul 19 2008, 01.31']He does enjoy listening to "In the Air Tonight" while dancing about on the leathered skin of a dwarven convict.[/quote]

Was it the first time, the last time, that they ever met, met, met?

[quote name='Anatole Kuragin' post='1446728' date='Jul 19 2008, 02.32']Was it the first time, the last time, that they ever met, met, met?[/quote]

I saw it with my own two eyes, so you can wipe off that grin. I know where you've been.

It's kind of fun to play environment-defying guys like that. I intended to be a good guy in Mass Effect, and I had absolutely no idea that the background you choose determines how much Paragon and Renegade points you score for making those decisions. I just thought it'd be really cool to have the most depressing character background possible, so I chose an Earthborn slum gang orphan and sole survivor of a 50-man unit that was slaughtered by a space monster. People gave me shit throughout the entire game and every good decision I made gave me a laughable reward of Paragon points, but it was fun. You get to reply with very interesting answers.

I wanted to try a spacer born into a loving military family who became a Big Damn War Hero, but I never have the heart to be an evil bastard in those sorts of games. Psychotic killer I can do, just as long as the characters annoy me at least a little.

[quote name='Intercept' post='1447041' date='Jul 19 2008, 12.07']I saw it with my own two eyes, so you can wipe off that grin. I know where you've been.

It's kind of fun to play environment-defying guys like that. I intended to be a good guy in Mass Effect, and I had absolutely no idea that the background you choose determines how much Paragon and Renegade points you score for making those decisions. I just thought it'd be really cool to have the most depressing character background possible, so I chose an Earthborn slum gang orphan and sole survivor of a 50-man unit that was slaughtered by a space monster. People gave me shit throughout the entire game and every good decision I made gave me a laughable reward of Paragon points, but it was fun. You get to reply with very interesting answers.

I wanted to try a spacer born into a loving military family who became a Big Damn War Hero, but I never have the heart to be an evil bastard in those sorts of games. Psychotic killer I can do, just as long as the characters annoy me at least a little.[/quote]

In all RPGs I just try to do the most logical/effective things and it always ends up being "evil" or "renegade" or "chaotic". Game developers should realize that when I'm trying to hunt down an evil wizard/slaver/demon/king/etc. that is killing thousands of people and/or summoning some otherworldy god, it's probably better that I do x "evil" action that gets me closer to that ultimately altruistic goal.

[quote name='Anatole Kuragin' post='1447044' date='Jul 19 2008, 17.11']In all RPGs I just try to do the most logical/effective things and it always ends up being "evil" or "renegade" or "chaotic". Game developers should realize that when I'm trying to hunt down an evil wizard/slaver/demon/king/etc. that is killing thousands of people and/or summoning some otherworldy god, it's probably better that I do x "evil" action that gets me closer to that ultimately altruistic goal.[/quote]
Ah. "The ends justify the means." Sounds like evil/renegade/chaotic to me. :dunno:

[quote name='potsherds' post='1447064' date='Jul 19 2008, 13.56']Ah. "The ends justify the means." Sounds like evil/renegade/chaotic to me. :dunno:[/quote]

So how many Renegade points did Truman get for the atom bombs?

I think you'll have to wait until mid August. They've scheduled 3 appearances:

August 14-17: Indianapolis, Indiana (Gen-Con)
August 20-24: Leipzig, Germany (Leipzig Games Convention)
August 29-31: Seattle, Washington (PAX)

They've said that at the first one, they'll show the entire demo from E3 to everyone (so far, it was only for the press so we could only read reviews of it). Hopefully there will be some more stuff there as well. I don't know what is happening at the others, but it is reasonable to expect something new at each one.

• 2 months later...
[quote name='arizonahotrock' post='1562884' date='Oct 21 2008, 13.23']Big article on this in the latest Game Informer...

It looks really cool, and there's a line about how ASOIAF influenced the story of the game.[/quote]

For those of us who aren't members, can you please provide whatever juicy tidbits that haven't appeared in other sources?

[quote name='Krafus' post='1563031' date='Oct 21 2008, 19.25']For those of us who aren't members, can you please provide whatever juicy tidbits that haven't appeared in other sources?[/quote]
Seconded!

Are there any new screenshots?

[quote name='potsherds' post='1563033' date='Oct 21 2008, 14.28']Seconded!

Are there any new screenshots?[/quote]

There are several half pages of screenshots, but the new info isn't really anything good/surprising. They talk about the mechanics of combat (big curve ball there, it's basically the same as BG), they talk about origin stories some more, a little bit about the beginning of the plot, how you can get fucked over by being a good guy, stuff you do can decide the fate of races/nations, there are talent trees, a codex type thing, some spells can have their effects combined to do cool stuff (the screenshot for a grease spell and a fire spell was pretty cool).

Some stuff about origin stories: they're around 2-3 hours each, are based on race much more than class, but the mage one will always involve partaking in a ritual called a "harrowing" where you go into the dream realm to prove your aptitude. Your origin stories will affect party members you get later on, and is said to be mainly to "convey your hero's view of the world, and you will see the ripples of your origin constantly from the beginning of Dragon Age to the end."

THERE ARE LORE BOOKS!

The only GRRM reference is in a tool tip on one of the screenshots (which ironically has a biped orc type thing shooting a crossbow at a glorious knight type figure) and it simply says "The team cites author George R. R. Martin (A Song of Ice and Fire) as an influence when it came to creating a world of dark fantasy"

There were also like four paragraphs about how you'll be able to use the world builder to put content out for other people and vice versa.

That's about all I remember that was big, if you have a specific question I can answer it or look it up.

EDIT: Oh, and they've got "early 2009" as the release date for PC and "late 2009" for consoles.

Archived