Dragon Age

Werthead

Thanks, Anatole. So, there's essentially little that's new or surprising? Too bad.

Did they mention whether a character's race would have an effect throughout the game (I could see, say, characters from feared/reviled races being repeatedly subjected to racism, for instance)?

[quote name='potsherds' post='1563128' date='Oct 21 2008, 22.45']Er, what races can you choose from?[/quote]
The PC can be a human, an elf or a dwarf. However, the choice of race somewhat restricts the choice of class. For example, we know for sure that dwarfs can't be mages because the dwarfs don't interact with the Fade (sort of a dream world complete with demons and the like). The flip side of this is that swarfs are very magic resistant and they're the only ones who can mine the raw material used for magic items (lyrium). It's tolerable once refined, but in its raw form it's lethal to mages, extremely harmful to anyone else (common results of exposure being insanity and death), but only dangerous to dwarfs if they're exposed to it for a long time.

Also, some races aren't fond of others. For example, the humans don't like the elves (the elves seriously screwed something up in the past, though it is not clear what) so expect them to be nasty to you if you play an elf.

If you're interested in screenshots and gameplay videos, there is a whole lot of them on the Bioware [url="http://dragonage.bioware.com/"]Dragon Age page[/url] and also scattered over various gaming sites.

The one thing that Anatole didn't mention (btw, thanks for the concise write up) is that Bioware said, to paraphrase, that they were glad they aren't attached to an existing license (especially D&D) so they could make a mature title.

I like the sound of that.

[quote name='arizonahotrock' post='1563179' date='Oct 21 2008, 16.44']The one thing that Anatole didn't mention (btw, thanks for the concise write up) is that Bioware said, to paraphrase, that they were glad they aren't attached to an existing license (especially D&D) so they could make a mature title.

I like the sound of that.[/quote]

Yeah, BioWare mentioned a few times that they were glad they had the best of both worlds of BG and Mass Effect, being able to make up tons of epic stuff, yet not having to completely start from scratch since they're taking a lot of inspiration from their licensed RPGs.

The more and longer some uber product is built up the more likely it is to be a gargantuan flop*

*Maybe the bitterness I have over my completely obsolete computer system prompted me to say that.

[quote name='Jacen' post='1563241' date='Oct 21 2008, 18.40']The more and longer some uber product is built up the more likely it is to be a gargantuan flop*

*Maybe the bitterness I have over my completely obsolete computer system prompted me to say that.[/quote]

Poor Jacen. I also remember the frustration of not being able to play a PC game I wanted very badly because my computer was basically from the Stone Age and I couldn't afford an upgrade. :( Though given that this is a Bioware game, I'm willing to assume it'll be great to awesome until demonstrated otherwise.

Don't worry, though - I'm sure I and others will be happy to inform you whether or not you were right once we get our paws on the game while you seethe in envy. :D ;)

• 3 months later...
I was about 75% certain this would happen ever since they said that there would be console versions. It is simply unprecedented to release a modern AAA game for PC first and for consoles later (can anyone think of an example?). Here's [url="http://www.gamespot.com/news/6204057.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;4"]the reasoning according to EA's CEO[/url]:
[quote]Finally, Riccitiello admitted that the rationale for delaying Dragon Age may sound a bit odd, but said, "Too much quality can make you reassess your options." The game was shaping up to be so epic in scale, quality, and innovation--according to Riccitiello--that EA thought it would make for a stronger launch to have the console versions of the game arrive at the same time as the PC edition. Additionally, the time would allow for extra polishing of the content.[/quote]

My guess is that they'd need to polish it for a couple of months more anyway -- the Q1 2009 release date is from the beginning of 2008 and there's no way they'd meet that on a project this big. They then decided that they might as well save on the marketing costs and release them all at the same time.

This [url="http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSTRE5126Q120090204"]Reuters article[/url] claims that they did this in order to move games from FY2009 to FY2010:
[quote]EA said it would delay the release of "Sims 3," "Godfather 2" and "Dragon Age" to fiscal 2010 from fiscal 2009, and that it would narrow its product portfolio and cut variable costs.[/quote]
Whatever their reasoning is, the outcome still sucks. The PC version is almost finished and now it's going to sit there for months while more and more potentially incompatible hardware (as well as Windows 7) comes out and the graphics get more and more dated.

That blows. I think the primary purpose is EA is trying to eliminate PC games, since they think copyright protection is such a big deal on the PC.

I'd still buy it for the PC though. I'll be pissed if they dumb down the PC game for the console game...

While I don't have a PC good enough to run Dragon Age, I was truly considering getting one for this release. From what I've seen of the screenshots, characters appear to be controlled much in the same way they were in the BG series and I just don't see that working on consoles.
Just look at the RTS genre on consoles; They've yet to create one anywhere near as good as their PC counterparts.

On the news last night I heard EA cut 1100 jobs. I know they'd already announced layoffs before; Anyone know if these are new layoffs or was my news station just late in their reporting?
Anyway, while it sucks to hear about any layoffs, I really, really hope EA leaves Bioware the way it is.

[quote name='Krafus' post='1563267' date='Oct 21 2008, 18.33']Poor Jacen. I also remember the frustration of not being able to play a PC game I wanted very badly because my computer was basically from the Stone Age and I couldn't afford an upgrade. :( Though given that this is a Bioware game, I'm willing to assume it'll be great to awesome until demonstrated otherwise.[/quote]

What are the system requirments? I need to know if I need to move up my upgrade schedule.

[quote name='14th Dragon' post='1675010' date='Feb 5 2009, 16.38']What are the system requirments? I need to know if I need to move up my upgrade schedule.[/quote]
They're not saying. The closest they came to talking about it is that it should run on well-built PCs from 4-5 years ago. What it takes to run it with high frame rates at high settings is unknown.

How will a game like this work on a console? I've never played western RPGs on a console before so I've no idea. All I can think of is it working like Final Fantasy 12 where you're in direct control of one character and can set up automatic responses (attack/magic/whatever) for the other party members.

Anyway, I'm fairly sure we wouldn't have been able to run it if it had stuck to the original release date, at least this way there's a bit more time for us to get a better system. Sucks for the rest of you though :P

As to the camera. There are two main views. You have a kotor style over the shoulder and an RTS style top down. You can switch between either as seen in some of the gamplay videos I think. In theory the kotor is for exploring and the RTS is for combat. However I'm guessing the console version would just not include the RTS mode due to lack of control.

Archived