Brienne's one word.

Sun Tzu

What about Sandor? I got confused there.

I think Pod will live if Brienne shouts "SWORD" because that is the Stoneheart Crew's insurance. I think they will hold him until Brienne fulfills her oath to kill Jaime, vowing he will come to no harm if Brienne lives up to her end of the deal. I also think that holding Pod (and possibly Ser Hyle) is a good way to show UnCat's transformation. As Cat, she lets Jaime go with nothing but his word that he will return her daughters to her. She won't make that mistake again; she has no heart now, no expectations of trust in oaths and promises.

As Cat, she lets Jaime go with nothing but his word that he will return her daughters to her. She won't make that mistake again; she has no heart now, no expectations of trust in oaths and promises.
As Cat, she didn't trust Jaime's word, she trusted Tyrion's word uttered in front of the whole court, and Brienne's oath, she didn't have any collateral, or she would have used them. As Uncat, she's willing to trust Brienne's word over the evidence marking her as a traitor. No difference except Jaime had no Pod to use.

That’s not what one calls plot holes. That’s karmic justice unfulfilled, or frustrating reader expectations. (Like Ned never getting to talk to Jon.)

But in the case of Ned not talking to Jon, that's more about the possible R+L=J thing, for which we have another way of revealing it. Plus, was there that 'letter' that supposedly went north or via Varys that people around here bandied around? (or is that a figment of the board's collective imagination?).

Plus, was there that 'letter' that supposedly went north or via Varys that people around here bandied around? (or is that a figment of the board's collective imagination?).
It was never written.

Can someone tell me the meaning of Brienne saying "Sword" ? And why it might save her and Pod?

Catelyn tells Brienne to choose between the sword (taking Oathkeeper to kill Jaime) and the noose (dying right there). Brienne screaming "sword" would indicate she has chosen to kill Jaime and will not die right there.

As Cat, she didn't trust Jaime's word, she trusted Tyrion's word uttered in front of the whole court, and Brienne's oath, she didn't have any collateral, or she would have used them. As Uncat, she's willing to trust Brienne's word over the evidence marking her as a traitor. No difference except Jaime had no Pod to use.

Yes, but this is just the point. She did not have any collateral when she let Jaime go, nothing to hold to make sure he did what he said he would do. But if she had kept him in Riverrun's dungeon, she would have at least had some hope of getting her daughters back. And Brienne was just sent to make sure he arrived at King's Landing in one piece, and to return Sansa and Arya to Catelyn. B had no power over whether Jaime kept his oath to Cat.

In any case, holding Pod is not that big a deal (if that is what she ends up doing); I just think it shows that her character has learned not to trust. Obviously we all know that Stoneheart is the darker, more vindictive version of Cat, this is just another example of that.

Guest Other-in-law
Are you certain?

As I recall, Ned asks Varys if he will send a letter for him, to which Varys replies (paraphrasing) "you write it, I'll read it and pass it on if it doesn't implicate me".

Pretty sure. With Varys' polite assistance, Ned is able to shake off teh stupid from weeks of sensory deprivation in unlit solitary confinement.

Archived