Moments that made you sad

Well if she didn't want to live with it she shouldn't have warged into joffrey to order his death than warged into illyn payne to behead him.

Pfft. You should know better -- Sansa actually warged first Ned to refuse Renly, then Littlefinger to ensure that he would buy Janos for Cersei. Then she sat back madly cackling as Ned was beheaded!

I'm re-reading AGOT now and have really been struck by Robert's story this time around. I admit I didn't give him much thought on my first reads but his story is one of the saddest in whole series.

Robert was the last hero, he defended his enemy in a great battle that lived on in memory and song but it brought him no joy. He became a King but he lost what he was fighting for and he never got over Lyanna's death. He was married to one of the most beautiful women in the Seven Kingdoms whose father was the richest and most powerful Lord in the Realm but he found no love or happiness. He was miserable and I think you see that through out his story. He's ashamed at moments for the way he is now and at some of his actions. Seeing Ned before him, the same man as he always was opened Robert's eyes. After the first day of the tourney, the scene from the tent is so sad. Robert knows he's not a good king and he wants to set things right and "to hell with the Lannisters" He wants to redeem himself but he never gets the chance.

now the moment that made me sad is when Arya comes so close to her family but at zhe end she travells to Bravos. Really the moment that made me cry was when Stannis was defeated at battle of Blackwater i really beleved so much in Stannis's victory :crying:

Robert knows he's not a good king and he wants to set things right and "to hell with the Lannisters" He wants to redeem himself but he never gets the chance.

The moment where Robert almost fully redeems himself with me is when he confides to Ned that his greatest wish in life is to give up the throne and run away to be a free living sellsword, and the reason he will not is the thought of the Lannisters in control via Joff. As much as Robert has become a man who shirks his responsibilities as often as possible, he keeps up at least nominally with the one that irks him most (and from which all the others stem) for the good of his kingdom and people.

If you have ever read "The Autobiography of Henry VIII" (and if not, you should, it is a phenominal read), Henry daydreams of the same thing ... Simply laying down his crown and taking off to be a sailor. He is, IMO, a kindred spirit to Robert; someone who started off thinking kingship was the ultimate joy and found only disillusionment and heartbreak. Sad for men (or women) who are stuck with it for life. I have often wonderedd how many times Elizabeth II has wished she could just pack a suitcase with her favorite hats and go live on a secret tropical island somewhere, far from the British press and her family's various stupidities.

I guess its sad whenever someone grows up to be a terrible person. But Robert could of been a better king, and actively chooses not to. When his hand and his wife's family are feuding and causing people to die in the street's of his capital he makes no effort to resolve it. Instead he flees and puts his hands in his ears.

Robert had multiple chances to "redeem himself" (in the sense that he had multiple chances to improve the realm and be a better king). There is no redeeming yourself from a moral standpoint once you condone the murders of children as he did. He chose not too because he was lazy and disinterested in his job. I suppose its sad that robert is a bad king in some sense. In the same sense that it is sad that tywin lannister has a bad relationship with his kids. In the end Robert has only himself to blame. No one told him to become a lardass.

e is, IMO, a kindred spirit to Robert; someone who started off thinking kingship was the ultimate joy and found only disillusionment and heartbreak. Sad for men (or women) who are stuck with it for life. I have often wonderedd how many times Elizabeth II has wished she could just pack a suitcase with her favorite hats and go live on a secret tropical island somewhere, far from the British press and her family's various stupidities.

Uneasy is the head that wears the crown? I imagine if queen Elizabeth had to get a real job like working at wal-mart (or whatever the british equivalent is tescos?) she'd be begging for the crown back. A lot more uneasy is the head that has to worry about feeding themselves.

• 2 months later...

Here some I didn't see.

Cressen, poor old Maester and reason I don't care much for the religious zealot Melisandre.

Stannis talking about nursing a injured falcon(or some type of bird) and names its Proudwing. It doesn't fly very high and doesn't catch its prey. Robert Baratheon calls it weakwing and later on they suggest him to get a better hawk.

Archived