Moments that made you sad

Besides all those moments, i can add the moment when Bran tell hes drem about he's father being on the cripts

and then they found Rickon there too. It's pretty sad.

I can tell tha the scene when Davos remenber of his sons and think if it's whorty to keep living also made me cry.

One very sad moment was after the red wedding when Arya and Sandor come across this dying knight. It depressed me and put me in near tears when I first read it. I admit I was cheering at the end when that Frey got hung and felt that maybe justice or vengence would finally start happening.

• 2 weeks later...

I cried at this bit, it all just came pouring out. Its in AFFC

"So do you Sam. have a swift, safe voyage, and take care of her and Aemon and the child." Jon smiled a strange, sad smile. "And pull your hood up. the snowflakes are melting in your hair"

robb..and winterfell =[

Tyrion and Jaime in the dungeons in Storm, when Jaime tells him the truth about Tysha, and Tyrion lies about having killed Joffrey.

I didn't find it sad the first time I read the books, but on a re-read, after I realized that Jaime was my favourite character and that he and Tyrion are actually VERY close to one another (I think there's hardly one Tyrion POV when he isn't thinking about his brother, likewise for Jaime), it made me quite sad that they would part on such terms. Especially since we don't know if they'll ever see each other again.

Eddard's dream about the tower of joy and the three Kingsguard, Arthur Dayne,Gerold Hightower,Oswell Whent.

“And now it begins” said Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning. He unsheathed Dawn and held it with both hands. The blade was pale as milkglass, alive with light.

“No,” Ned said with sadness in his voice. “Now it ends.”

This. "Now it ends."

Also the last scene with Arya and the Hound. First he's done and gives up, which is sad, and then she chooses to leave him to suffer, which is even sadder (especially since she's still a child...).

1. First one has to be Ned's death. I quite liked his character and although I had a sinky feeling he might die I still thought NO!! when it actually happened. Also I remember that this was the first major character killed off, and when reading it for the first time I didn't realise that aSoIaF is a series where the author has the balls to kill off major characters.

2. I hated how Grey Wind gets butchered while he's tied up, poor fella didn't have a fighting chance.

3. The Viper vs the Mountain. Throughout the first few books we're constantly hearing about the attorcities this monster is commiting so you're rooting for him to die since Day 1. The fact that he's all but defeated and then somehow manages to win, killing off an interesting character with bags of potential was very unpredictable and caught me completely by surprise.

Why is it no one is ever sad when Joff chokes on his wedding pie? Poor lil' bastard...

You're kidding right? There is a great buildup to that to make you HOPE he dies.

On the other hand - I thought I'd be sad when Robb died, but his character wasn't fleshed out enough and I can't feel sorry for Catelyn because she deserved some form of punishment for putting herself in bad situations, and essentially lost Robb his life through her actions.

Also, anything revolving around the Stark kids. They are so unrealistically young for this stuff to be happening to them. No 10 year old would be running around alive after the stuff that's happened to Arya, and Sansa would be so damaged beyond repair mentally.

Jon is the only character who would be mentally stable.

Most of the deaths tbh. Apart from Joffrey, who I wanted to choke myself.

I find it sad when the characters left behind are talking/are still affected by the ones they loved. Like when Ned died I felt so bad for Cat every time she mentioned him. Then when Robb died, and Winterfell fell. Same for Loras when Renly died, because he was obviously still affected by it. :unsure: It's sad reading about characters that are heartbroken.

I actually was a little sad when Jaime broke Tyrion out of jail and Tyrion says. "Thank you for my life brother." Or something like that...it's heartbreaking on a re-read because you know they don't end on good terms...

2. I hated how Grey Wind gets butchered while he's tied up, poor fella didn't have a fighting chance.

FWIW, the Westerling Robb took as his squire set him free when he saw that the Freys were going to kill the wolf. They both died in the process; IIRC, the Westerling got several quarrels and threw himself into the river...

So it was more of a Futile F-U last stand than a helpless slaughter. It's still pretty sad, though.

Letsee...

Arya realizing that she finally got to her family... just in time for their murders

Dany finding out that Jorah was spying on her up until fairly recently.

Sandor under the tree crying

Sansa telling her husband that she will never want him (I felt so bad for him, even though I could understand Sansa at that moment).

Robert Arryn. Period.

I know this is probably not a popular view, but A Clash of Kings is the saddest book I've ever read, and the death of Lommy Greenhands always makes me depressed. And this is LOMMY GREENHANDS. Aside from that, most of them have been said so I'll just name a few that come to me:

- Arya almost throwing away Needle

- Sansa building Winterfell in the snow (not so much sad as it is "highly emotional")

- "That boy had wanted to be Ser Arthur Dayne, but had become the Smiling Knight instead."

- Septon Maribald's speech about war

- Jaime's last scene in AFFC, where he dreams about his mother and wakes up to snow

- Jaime releasing Tyrion

- Jaime standing vigil for his father

- Brienne's talk to Thoros in the caves at the end of AFFC

- Arya outside the Red Wedding (honestly the Red Wedding itself was never that emotional for me, the first time because it was just such a shock that I couldn't really get into it, and after that, I don't know, it's almost TOO brutal)

- THE FACT THAT RHAEGAR IS DEAD

That will be all for now.

"And the mystery knight should win the tourney, defeating every challenger, and name the wolf maid the queen of love and beauty."

“She was,” said Meera, “but that’s a sadder story.”

“Are you certain you never heard this tale before, Bran?” asked Jojen. “Your lord father never told it to you?”

Bran shook his head. :(

Arya leaving the Hound for dead

Tyrion watching Sansa at Joff's wedding and wishing he could make her open up to him

Robb rejecting Grey Wind after the fall of Winterfell

The death of Lommy

The existence of Shireen

Donal Noye in the tunnel

Brienne in the Myrish silk

Sam Tarly in the dungeons (with the lead pipe)

Vargo Hoat eating himself was kind of sad for me.

Robb being all hopeful about regaining the north only to get stabbed a few hours later.

Ned thinking that the gold cloaks belonged to him right before he got arrested by those very same gold cloaks.

When Tywin talked about Rhaegar's little girl climbing under her father's bed thinking he could still save her.

When the Hound returned Mycah to his father in bits and pieces.

1) When Sansa began building the snow Winterfell. It was such a beautiful, sentimental moment, because of the fact that Sansa still had that spark of innocence after all she's been through. And so sad... since you know by this point Winterfell has burnt and its people are dead or flown...

2) When Jorah was banished... man... Just... tragic.

Tyrion tugging at Sansa to kneel during their wedding so that he could put the cloak on her.

I'm not sure this scene made me feel sad, but it certainly made me pity Tyrion and dislike Sansa even more.

I'm doing a re-read right now and am at the Red Wedding again. Probably the single scene that invokes the most emotion from me in the entire series.

Archived