Tyrion

Aegon II

Would you believe that? lol. spoiler alert. open after you finished the book.

Way to go Tyrion! lol i thought it hilarious that the halfman survives the battle, where able-bodied men died like flies in the wildfire. Its ok though or else i'll miss his witty remarks.

• 2 months later...

Would you believe that? lol. spoiler alert. open after you finished the book.

Way to go Tyrion! lol i thought it hilarious that the halfman survives the battle, where able-bodied men died like flies in the wildfire. Its ok though or else i'll miss his witty remarks.

Yes, his survival is rather amazing. Thank goodness for Podrick Payne, no? :cheers:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Personally I found the book's idea of Tyrion as a warrior in Gimili mode a tad unrealistic.

The way GRRM writes Tyrion as a cynical, intelligent and rather devious sort of man - doesn't make the idea that he would stick his neck out and fight in the front line bloodthirsty like very realistic.

I actually found the representation of Tyrion by HBO writers and the way Peter Dinklage played him out to be more realistic.

Personally I found the book's idea of Tyrion as a warrior in Gimili mode a tad unrealistic.

The way GRRM writes Tyrion as a cynical, intelligent and rather devious sort of man - doesn't make the idea that he would stick his neck out and fight in the front line bloodthirsty like very realistic.

I actually found the representation of Tyrion by HBO writers and the way Peter Dinklage played him out to be more realistic.

I do not think that the Tyrion in HBO GoT and book CoK are contradicting. Actually I think, that HBO GoT and book GoT Tyrions are pretty much the same. Tyrion in the end of CoK is the result of some development that happened during CoK.

The way I see it, the position of Hand was finally a chance to prove himself after his whole life, Tywin at last fully acknowledging him as his son.

All the time he was in capital, he was doing his best to prevent the battle / prepare the city as well as he could. He managed more than I would think. And when he saw that in the end it should all come crashing down because of Hound's decision to lay down the sword....yes, I was surprised, but I can understand, why he rode out himself and turned to "gimli mode".

If the gate have been broken, the battle would be lost in his eyes, and in the end every Lannister inside slain. They could hide in Maegor's and wait for Tywin's help, but he did not know he is coming.

I do not think that the Tyrion in HBO GoT and book CoK are contradicting. Actually I think, that HBO GoT and book GoT Tyrions are pretty much the same. Tyrion in the end of CoK is the result of some development that happened during CoK.

The way I see it, the position of Hand was finally a chance to prove himself after his whole life, Tywin at last fully acknowledging him as his son.

All the time he was in capital, he was doing his best to prevent the battle / prepare the city as well as he could. He managed more than I would think. And when he saw that in the end it should all come crashing down because of Hound's decision to lay down the sword....yes, I was surprised, but I can understand, why he rode out himself and turned to "gimli mode".

If the gate have been broken, the battle would be lost in his eyes, and in the end every Lannister inside slain. They could hide in Maegor's and wait for Tywin's help, but he did not know he is coming.

I agree both are pretty much the same but I wouldn't use the word "contradicting" - its more like "moderating".

We haven't yet seen HBO's version of the Battle of Blackwater - so we don't know how that will turn out. We have however seen the melee with the Mountain Clan fighters at the Vale, and the battle with the Stark forces where the HBO Tyrion took part with great effect but not with so much bloodlust as the book version.

You mentioned Tywin handing over the office of the Hand to Tyrion in that Counsel meeting- what do you think looked better? The HBO version (where Tyrion was overwhelmed by the moment) or the book version (where he was scornful of Tywin's offer)?

The book version gave... let's call it a greater amount of insight :D When I first watched the show, I did not think about it, then I read the book and was surprised by all the background that I missed in the show. When I rewatched the show after reading, I missed some "sauce" to the meeting. So I liked the book version better, as it gives better image of what is going on.

CoK spoiler: (maybe our last posts should be also)

But still I think, that Tyrion believed, that in order to win the battle (and to survive), the force battering the gate of the city must be turned away. And since Sandor refused to, and his men would not go without a leader, I understand Tyrion riding out and fighting like hell.

Also, the thing I heard about the battle-fury (not much first-hand experience among people these days :D ) it is not something that works on any kind of logical principles.

SoS Spoiler:

I got 120 pages into SoS today, and wow... the meeting Tywin-Tyrion turned out 180 degrees the other way, than I expected.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived