Unpopular Opinions

The Storm Queen

I like Littlefinger. I think that his rise in a society that is all about bloodlines is actually quite remarkable and hope that he ends up as Hand to the King or something at the end. He's the one bad guy who I want to see wiggle out of punishment. Although his behavior toward Sansa is incredibly creepy.

I like Sansa and her arc. She has probably three or four of my favorite chapters in the book.

I hate Dany's chapters in SoS. They just seem so disconnected from the rest of the narrative. However, I like Jon's chapters and don't mind his arc even if it is cliche. I trust Martin to spice it up a bit.

1. Agree with those who think Jon is a clishé (at the moment, he could still change), and whatever his parantege may be I dont want a such an ebding to him. like it is revelled that he is actually the son of prince Rhaegar so he ends up on the Throne and such. I hope he evolves. I dont hate him but at the moment he is on the dont really mind list.

2. Agree with those who didnt like the Dany chapters in ASoS. Since there will be a lot of Essos chapters in ADwD I hope her story improves.

3. Agree with those who prefer the political play over the supernatural. I am not fond of dragons either. But since Dany has three I hope other players get some (or some other power up) so there would be more ballance in power.

4. I like Stannis but I dont want him at the end on the Throne (it seems to me that those who dont like him wan him dissapear, those who like mainly want him on the throne)

5. Want Gendry on the Throne, or Robert's other bastard Edrick Storm. (If there are still one)

6. Agree with those who do not like Sam. I have nothing against his fattness, but his constant whinig gets on my nerves.

7. I love Edmure Tully, more than the Blackfish.

8. I love the Tyrells, easily among my favourite houses, dont want to see them fall. They are among the best players but dont use such ruthless methodes as Tywin.

9. Dany is not among the best players. Dont have anything against the girl, she has some good intentions and potentials, but the only reason why she triumphed in those cities, is because her enemies were incredibly stupid(I had faceplam moments, in a you cant be that much of an idiots, you cant! And they were.), and so evil that she didnt really had to deal with much moral questions wether she is in the good or not (destroying a whole civilizaion is not bad, since it was eeeevvvvviiiiiiiiiillll. Please dont be that black and white). I would hate if when she gets to Westeros since it is in a state of post civil war and Others are coming, she just ends up as the saviour and she would never have to deal with the negative consequences of being a conqueror. (Since it always was for some 'better' reson she just gets a pass and the ones who probably suffer from it are just written on the "neccesary casualities" list)- I think you cant be a conqueror and have clean hands at the same time, and I hope Dany will experience it.

10. Want the North, the Riverlands, and the Vale go independednt. They suffered enough becuase of the bloody Throne. I would actually liked to see the Throne getting destroyed.

1. I don't get the popularity of Syrio. So he was a skilled fencing teacher. He did his job, and defended Arya. End of story.

2. Ditto for Bronn. He's a merc. Big deal. I don't see what's so special about him.

3. I've actually come to like and sympathise with Sansa (not so much for most of AGOT, but after that).

4. I don't care how "redeemed" Jaime is supposed to be, he'll never be redeemed in my eyes.

5. Many of Arya's chapters bore me. She's just wandering around the Riverlands with seemingly no end in sight.

6. Ditto for Dany. Her story is just so detached from the rest of the action that I get annoyed when they come up and take me away from Westeros.

7. I actually like Sam Tarly.

1. Agree with those who think Jon is a clishé (at the moment, he could still change), and whatever his parantege may be I dont want a such an ebding to him. like it is revelled that he is actually the son of prince Rhaegar so he ends up on the Throne and such. I hope he evolves. I dont hate him but at the moment he is on the dont really mind list.

2. Agree with those who didnt like the Dany chapters in ASoS. Since there will be a lot of Essos chapters in ADwD I hope her story improves.

3. Agree with those who prefer the political play over the supernatural. I am not fond of dragons either. But since Dany has three I hope other players get some (or some other power up) so there would be more ballance in power.

4. I like Stannis but I dont want him at the end on the Throne (it seems to me that those who dont like him wan him dissapear, those who like mainly want him on the throne)

5. Want Gendry on the Throne, or Robert's other bastard Edrick Storm. (If there are still one)

6. Agree with those who do not like Sam. I have nothing against his fattness, but his constant whinig gets on my nerves.

7. I love Edmure Tully, more than the Blackfish.

8. I love the Tyrells, easily among my favourite houses, dont want to see them fall. They are among the best players but dont use such ruthless methodes as Tywin.

9. Dany is not among the best players. Dont have anything against the girl, she has some good intentions and potentials, but the only reason why she triumphed in those cities, is because her enemies were incredibly stupid(I had faceplam moments, in a you cant be that much of an idiots, you cant! And they were.), and so evil that she didnt really had to deal with much moral questions wether she is in the good or not (destroying a whole civilizaion is not bad, since it was eeeevvvvviiiiiiiiiillll. Please dont be that black and white). I would hate if when she gets to Westeros since it is in a state of post civil war and Others are coming, she just ends up as the saviour and she would never have to deal with the negative consequences of being a conqueror. (Since it always was for some 'better' reson she just gets a pass and the ones who probably suffer from it are just written on the "neccesary casualities" list)- I think you cant be a conqueror and have clean hands at the same time, and I hope Dany will experience it.

10. Want the North, the Riverlands, and the Vale go independednt. They suffered enough becuase of the bloody Throne. I would actually liked to see the Throne getting destroyed.

7. Yes. Love soft-hearted Edmure and enjoy the subversion of the classic gender dynamic between him and Catelyn.

9. Totally agree. My boyfriend calls it the "Nazizombie" phenomen. Make the antagonist so evil (like a Nazi or a Zombie) that the hero can kill him without moral problems. Do you remember the slaver´s speech when selling the Unsullied? He was shown as a sexist, a racist and a cruel piece of shit. The chapter would have been more intriguing if we would have encountered a Roman-like civilication with cruelty against slaves but also with slave owners who allowed their slaves to rise into high positions of power and who generally cared for them better than the nobility of Westeros cares for its smallfolk. This would make Dany actually an ambivalent character and not a saint who destroys teh evil empire.

Concerning post-Other Westeros my hope is that something like parlamentarism evolves encouraged by a weak king/queen (comparable with the British development). So, Mr. Martin please don´t make Dany and her dragons save the day and rule happily in Westeros because I would hate it.

1) I like 'A Feast For Crows'.

2) I like the Ironborn chapters

3) I like the Dornish chapters

Three pretty unpopular opinions right there...a couple more.

4) Stannis is AWESOME. Up there in the running for my favourite character

5) All those songs in Storm are deeply annoying. I used to skip over the songs in Tolkien too.

2) Samwell Tarly must DIE.

I hear ya, though I am surprised he made it this far. When I first was introduced to Sam on his first day at the wall, I said "There is no way that this guy is going to survive this book". Now he's Sam the Slayer, WTF.

I do like Sam but i do believe he has survived way too long.

7. Yes. Love soft-hearted Edmure and enjoy the subversion of the classic gender dynamic between him and Catelyn.

9. Totally agree. My boyfriend calls it the "Nazizombie" phenomen. Make the antagonist so evil (like a Nazi or a Zombie) that the hero can kill him without moral problems. Do you remember the slaver´s speech when selling the Unsullied? He was shown as a sexist, a racist and a cruel piece of shit. The chapter would have been more intriguing if we would have encountered a Roman-like civilication with cruelty against slaves but also with slave owners who allowed their slaves to rise into high positions of power and who generally cared for them better than the nobility of Westeros cares for its smallfolk. This would make Dany actually an ambivalent character and not a saint who destroys teh evil empire.

Concerning post-Other Westeros my hope is that something like parlamentarism evolves encouraged by a weak king/queen (comparable with the British development). So, Mr. Martin please don´t make Dany and her dragons save the day and rule happily in Westeros because I would hate it.

Yeah. like the Nazizombie name for it.

I dont have much against one character being completly black (like Gregor Clegane), but to make a whole civilization just plain evil, is something that is not my cup of tea (I simply dont believe there is such a thing. Even among the Freys there were some who were not part of the RW). The fact that there was nothing reedeming in them made it hard for me to really care for the events, they were so black that it was obvious that Dany would win. It was obvious from the start she is in the right, there is no big tragedy, big price to pray, since the ones she destroyed were evil slavers. Talk about clishé fantasy. A Roman like civilization really would be good. Though it would be interesting if we get an another POV and learn that those civilizations are only that black in the eyes of Dany. (Though I dont know how could be their deeds with the slave children or with attitude explained as not that black, maybe with Dany having visions?) That would be an interesting twist.

EDIT: About the post Other Westeros: I vote either for separate Kingdoms, or if the Iron Throne remains I would choose from Tommen, Myrcella, Gendry, Edrick, but they wouldnt have absolute power. I agree some form of parlamentalism would be good. For example every Kingdom/great house has a minister, and there would be a Council of Seven (for example). And they would be the one in power actually, or they would have a veto right about the Kings/Queens orders.

For example Aerys decides to kill Rickerd and Brandon Stark, the council says veto, and the tragedy does not happen

(2) I dislike Barristan Selmy. I get a General Rommel vibe from him. Yes, he is a honorable, kind and trustworthy man but he constantly ignores his own moral compass by prioritizing an abstract concept of honor that helps tyrants like the Mad King and Joffrey to do as they please.

Interesting point. I often feel as if 'honour' was just another form of cowardice in medieval times and in ASoIaF. Feel like you're gonna be defeated? Surrender and swear an oath that goes against your original oaths.

I completely agree. My own unpopular theory is that Ned really is Jon's father. I would like Ashara to be his mother but do not really care too much who she turns out to be. In all who Jon's mother is should be a minor background type storyline compared to all the upheaval Westerios is into right now.

Okay, you asked for unpopular, so here goes...

1. I like Randyll Tarly. He's a trusted, loyal bannerman and a feared enemy. I wouldn't want Sam to inherit from me either.

2. I can't stand Ygritte. I'm sure many of you are now whispering "You know nothing, Jackanapes."

3. I'm wasn't a fan of Davos. Please rescind your knightship (now lordship) if you're so conflicted or else get on with things and start being awesome!

1. I like Randyll Tarly. He's a trusted, loyal bannerman and a feared enemy. I wouldn't want Sam to inherit from me either.

2. I can't stand Ygritte. I'm sure many of you are now whispering "You know nothing, Jackanapes."

3. I'm wasn't a fan of Davos. Please rescind your knightship (now lordship) if you're so conflicted or else get on with things and start being awesome!

The only I am going to care for Davos' character is if Henrey Ian Cusick is cast as Davos. Go Desmond!!

My favorite three POV's are Bran, Jamie, and Sansa. Sam is probably fourth.

I think both Tyrion and Arya are incredibly overrated characters. aCoK's is far and away my least favorite book in the series, since it mainly consists of Tyion deluding himself that he is the "Giant of Lannistar" and Arya spends her first of two books running around the riverlands in circles.

I think lots of people overestimate Doran's intelligence. He's had a master plan... that hasn't worked in sixteen years!!

Oh oh oh, and for all the Brienne/Davos haters out there I really like both characters. They are both honest about their failings and try to their best to live up to their ideals despite the world constantly pissing in their face (although Davos is much more effective then Brienne ever will be).

Randyll Tarly is one of the biggest badasses in the series. People dont like him? His fat, feminine, failure of a son should die by his hand.

I kind of partly agree. I mean, I liked the character of her, but I certainly do not not like her role in Jon's life. This is only because I believe Jon should have a romance with Dany so she, not the first wildling woman he runs into north of the Wall should be the one and only love of his.

I like Jeyne Stark and want to see her POV. Robb did the right thing marrying her.

And I do not understand all the Bronn and Darkstar love.

1. Narratively the worst possible ending for the series would be that Jon becomes King.

2. Also whatever is more likely, I hope Ned is Jon's father, and I bet that Jon would agree with me.

3. Dany would be an awful Queen. Her views are way too black and white and she refuses to look at the politics of Westeros in anything that resembles a rational manner, making her pretentions to rule it completely laughable.

4. I love Sam, but not as much as I love Sansa.

5. The parts of the books with Stannis are always the funniest, even when he's burning people for their king's blood.

1. Daenerys Targayen is my favorite character in the series. That seems to be an unpopular opinion on these boards.

2. Roose Bolton is pretty badass

3. I liked AFFC.

4. On a related note, I like Brienne and her storyline.

5. Arya IS a murderous nutjob.

6. Samwell Tarly is a boring doofus.

7. I couldn't stand Ygritte. At first because I thought that Jon's story was falling into yet another Goddamned Dances With Wolves/Avatar "Virile young white dude sent to spy on the Noble Savage cliches, goes Native after he gets a whiff of some exotic strange and turns against his own, becoming the Chosen One for the benighted savages" storyline and Ygritte was the catalyst for that.

Later on, it was simply because she was such a smug, know-it-all bitch.

Archived