[ADWD SPOILERS] Where Is Rickon?

eddardstark

So, any thoughts on how and why Osha went to Skagos? It seems an odd choice. Why not the Last Hearth or White Harbor? Skagos seems rather difficult to get to.

Osha did not willing go to Skagos. The galley that she and Rickon were on crashed on the treacherous rocks around Skagos. In the Bran chapter where Bran's ship the Blackbird, is trying to skirt around Skagos to get south to warmer waters and Oldtown, a storm comes up and his captain was worried that they would ship wreck on Skogos too as so many other ships have done.

Osha was trying to take Rickon south. There has been some previous speculation that she was trying to take him to Howland Reed and the Crannogmen who live hidden in the Neck.

How old is Rickon now? he was three in GOT - how many years have gone by? He's only 5 or so now, right?

Rickon was four or five when he left Winterfell. At least two years have passed since then, probably more like three. They left at the end of ACOK. So, we had all of the events in ASOS, and then the combined AFFC & ADWD. I'd estimate him at 8 years old now.

I think most people just assume he's on Skagos.

Manderly needed a smuggler, so it has to be an island or across some body of water.

It seems like the only remotely close place that Osha could get to that's across water.

No idea why Osha would go there. I always just assumed she was going right to White Harbor.

I think most people just assume he's on Skagos.

Manderly needed a smuggler, so it has to be an island or across some body of water.

It seems like the only remotely close place that Osha could get to that's across water.

No idea why Osha would go there. I always just assumed she was going right to White Harbor.

Osha did NOT voluntarily go there. Her ship crashed there.

Rickon was four or five when he left Winterfell. At least two years have passed since then, probably more like three. They left at the end of ACOK. So, we had all of the events in ASOS, and then the combined AFFC & ADWD. I'd estimate him at 8 years old now.

I'd put him more along the lines of six or seven, as I think you may be slightly overestimating some parts. That said, the timeline is somewhat confused to begin with, so it's probably equally likely that I'm underestimating the passage of time.

Yeah, that's my thought or helping him to remember that he is a northman from Winterfall. It didn't take long for Theon to forget who he was under extreme torture. God, I hope Rickon has not been tortured.

Rickon. Rickon. I taste like chicken.

I'd put him more along the lines of six or seven, as I think you may be slightly overestimating some parts. That said, the timeline is somewhat confused to begin with, so it's probably equally likely that I'm underestimating the passage of time.

Yeah, if he's eight then it's been five years since AGOT. I don't think it's been that long. I had assumed he was five based on how time is passing for the other characters. I have to admit though, in this case i would have NO problem with GRRM retconning Rickon as a bit older. Depending on his role to play, being a kindergartner may be just ridiculous. I guess we'll see.

Osha did NOT voluntarily go there. Her ship crashed there.

If this is so, how does Wex know about it? Was he actually on the ship? Or did he see them board and hear the tale of its crash later? Seems dubious. Much easier to imagine she boarded a ship headed that way (that may or may not be the one that crashed).

I think Skagos might be the environment that I am the most excited to see in the upcoming books. Filled with men that even the hardy Northmen think are BAMFs, I mean it took hundreds of Stark lives and one of their Lords to subdue a single island! These guys must be tough as shit.

Also, unicorns.

I can see the conflict is Davos finds Rickon and Osha with Shaggydog living with one of these Cannibal Tribes. And this Tribe has made Rickon their leader (because of some Martin prophecy we never heard of), and Shaggydog killed this Tribe's Leader and Rickon ate his brain. lol So now Rickon rules with his savage Direwolf and wildling mother, Osha.

So now Davos is telling Rickon he has to leave but Rickon feels at home with his Tribe of Cannibals, and Osha and Davos are stuck trying to convince this savage 8 year old that this isn't the life he needs to be living, and the North needs him. lol

I don't think Martin is gonna make it easy on Davos getting Rickon to leave Skagos. I mean Rickon barely knows his family, his father's been dead, Robb he barely remembers, he probably doesn't even remember Jon, his mother he probably resents because she left him. And Bran is nowhere around to tame him.C

Osha and Shaggydog are more his family then the others to him. I pity Davos on this journey.

If this is so, how does Wex know about it? Was he actually on the ship? Or did he see them board and hear the tale of its crash later? Seems dubious. Much easier to imagine she boarded a ship headed that way (that may or may not be the one that crashed).

That's been asked before with no resolution. Either the boat was supposed to go to Skagos originally and instead of successful landing, crashed or Rex doesn't know that they were going to Skagos and made it up for some reason. If he made it up and Rickon is not there then Davos is in for a world of hurt searching an island for him that is populated by people that sound like Orcs.

If this was Osha's planned destination, why? Maybe she thought she could hide him there as it is a shunned island. Maybe she has family there.

I so want to see whay George does with this story.

I agree Rickon is probably at Skagos, simply because it's one of the few places explicitly mentioned to have cannibals. There are three problems I see with it, though, both related to the fact that Wex is pretty certain of where they are and is giving this story to Manderly at White Harbor.

1. If Osha & Rickon went by sea from WH, presumably they boarded a ship to Skagos and Wex overheard where it was going. Aside from the fact that regular WH-Skagos ferry traffic in autumn doesn't seem too likely, how do we know that they didn't crash or sink? The sea voyage from WH to Skagos is about as long as the one from KL to Sunspear, and they presumably traveled through similar weather as that which broke Saan's fleet & troubled the northern leg of Sam's voyage.
  2. If, as someone suggested above, O&R crashed at Skagos, presumably while headed to Eastwatch or Braavos, how did Wex find out about it?
  3. If O&R took a boat somewhere at the Bay of Seals and Wex followed them there, how did he make it back to WH?

As for Rickon's age, it has to be either 5 or 6.

I believe Joff's wedding was on the first day of the new century, making it 300 years after Aegon's Landing. During GoT, we know Rickon was 3. Also, we know based on Jon and Robb's age (and other observations), that GoT started in 298. So we might be 3 years beyond that now. So, Rickon is 5 (if it is still 300) or up to 6 (if it is 301 yet).

I can see the conflict is Davos finds Rickon and Osha with Shaggydog living with one of these Cannibal Tribes. And this Tribe has made Rickon their leader (because of some Martin prophecy we never heard of), and Shaggydog killed this Tribe's Leader and Rickon ate his brain. lol So now Rickon rules with his savage Direwolf and wildling mother, Osha.

So now Davos is telling Rickon he has to leave but Rickon feels at home with his Tribe of Cannibals, and Osha and Davos are stuck trying to convince this savage 8 year old that this isn't the life he needs to be living, and the North needs him. lol

I don't think Martin is gonna make it easy on Davos getting Rickon to leave Skagos. I mean Rickon barely knows his family, his father's been dead, Robb he barely remembers, he probably doesn't even remember Jon, his mother he probably resents because she left him. And Bran is nowhere around to tame him.C

Osha and Shaggydog are more his family then the others to him. I pity Davos on this journey.

OMG, that sounds like Mereen v.2. cue Darth Vader 'NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!' Please, for the sake of all that's holy, let Davos get on and off this island in less than 3 POV chapters. The last thing we need is a cannibal-tribesman-Lord of the Flies subplot. Do. Not. Want.

I wonder if Manderly has people looking for Bran as well. Because, you know, Bran is ACTUALLY his "liege lord".

Good question. Wex may have told then Bran was heading North of the wall and Manderlay may have been like "Yeah, fuck that."

Archived