[Book Spoilers] Show Osha vs Book Osha

j52y

Osha is a character I like but am not crazy about, so perhaps I haven't paid as much attention to her as I have other characters. But I read an interview with GRRM recently where he said he liked the TV version of Osha much more than his book version. But didn't notice a huge difference between the two. So, my question is, what is so different (and theoretically better) about Tv Osha?

So, my question is, what is so different (and theoretically better) about Tv Osha?

Younger and hotter? Lol!

I suppose she's more animal-like in behaviour, at least. And she looks more womenly. I'm not saying that last thing is necessarily a change for the better.

I think the actress who played her, Natalia Tena, did so with a certain panache that impressed GRRM so much that he's rethinking his original vision of the character.

Which is to say, he probably intended to kill her and Rickon off perhaps, and now changed his mind.

Hi,

I'm new here, and I'm just wondering if some of the posts in this thread are spoiling the books? I read the rules of this forum and it says "It is of absolute importance that spoiling the TV show for those who've not read the books does not happen. We will be quite harsh on this point." Although the title of this thread mentions "Book Osha", it doesn't actually have the "[bOOK SPOILERS]" tag, and I made the assumption that "book Osha" would not be discussed beyond the first book.

Apologies. I'm just deciding whether this website is safe enough for me to read, as I am slowly making my way through the books (I just started ASoS today). I assumed this TV thread was totally safe, but some of you are talking about

the Starks opposing Bolton, and Osha and Rickon dying

These posts sound like they have book knowledge behind them.

I for one absolutely hate the TV Osha, the book Osha was pretty badass and much more credible in the context of the book/plot. Seriously, to me she´s the worst casting decision in the series. She makes Osha appear like some halfwit, with all the skulking about, leering, tilting head, and giving sullen sideways glances to all and sundry.

Worst of all, it just doesn´t fit in at all with anything we know about the fierce, proud wildlings who despise all the "kneelers". Can you imagine the Tv Osha stepping into Robb´s path to tell hinm to take his army north instead of south, and being so persistent that the Greatjon has to shove her away?

Apart from the (mild) hotness (with no hair in her face)it´s an absolute mystery to me what GRRM could possibly like about Tena.

I like book Osha a lot more too, not sure why GRRM likes TV Osha more. TV Osha is okay, but she reminds me more of Ygritte or the random wildling women (like those with "Abel" in Dance With Dragons). Book Osha is badass and believable, TV Osha is more cartoony...

I like the TV Osha better too. Her line "I know men who would pick their teeth with his bones" is true to Wildings and just awesome. Her ability to size up Theon in an instant and her wit are just never conveyed that early in the book. The actress playing Osha has literally created an aura about the Wildings for the rest of the TV series that really doesn't happen in the book until Jon pretends to turncloak and meets Ygritte etc.

Osha is a character I like but am not crazy about, so perhaps I haven't paid as much attention to her as I have other characters. But I read an interview with GRRM recently where he said he liked the TV version of Osha much more than his book version. But didn't notice a huge difference between the two. So, my question is, what is so different (and theoretically better) about Tv Osha?

Her acting is actually pretty solid. Osha in the books is a character that isn't fleshed out so well -- her age is difficult to gauge, since some chapters hint at her being attractive (advances on her during the feast) and others show her as being older (when we first meet her). Overall, the character starts off fairly contradictory, which is not usually the case with GRRM's characters.

The actress, on the other hand, is quite consistent -- she portrays the character as a womanly, but wild, character. She's constantly bent & skulking, and her accent is consistent as well. She is also long-limbed, so when she does stand up straight, she looks tall enough to dwarf most of the other women in Winterfell.

Overall, I'd say it's the actress's doing; when she auditioned, she had quite a bit of enthusiasm and even brought her own shackles. GRRM was probably impressed.

Hi,

I'm new here, and I'm just wondering if some of the posts in this thread are spoiling the books? I read the rules of this forum and it says "It is of absolute importance that spoiling the TV show for those who've not read the books does not happen. We will be quite harsh on this point." Although the title of this thread mentions "Book Osha", it doesn't actually have the "[bOOK SPOILERS]" tag, and I made the assumption that "book Osha" would not be discussed beyond the first book.

Apologies. I'm just deciding whether this website is safe enough for me to read, as I am slowly making my way through the books (I just started ASoS today). I assumed this TV thread was totally safe, but some of you are talking about

the Starks opposing Bolton, and Osha and Rickon dying

These posts sound like they have book knowledge behind them.

Everyone else ignored this post? Er, okay...

Yeah, no matter how safe the board might look, you will get spoilt. No doubt. Particulary book 3 spoilers. I highly reccomend reading book 3 pretty quickly and staying away from the forums until you've done so. Hell, I'd reccomend finishing books 4 and 5 first aswell.

Archived