Ser Duncan's progeny

Which Tyler

I'm a little hazy on that myself. In the SSMs GRRM states he left an obvious clue to Dunk's descendant and they don't get any more obvious than the shield at Evenfall and Jamie asking if she's thick as a castle wall.

im a big dunk fan and I read the novellas. I'm very interested in who his descendants are. I've seen quite a few threads mentioning "four descendants". Nobody can seem to confirm it. There's no basis. With that being said, I do think there are four. Right, left, brienne, hodor. Maybe the belief that there are four turned into "confirmation" there are four?

Some people (more than one, it seems) have heard/read GRRM saying so, but no one has been able to found a written reference...

Read the thread through to see the details.

Nowhere in this thread is there evidence that GRRM ever said anything about more than one descendant. As readily as most people on here can come up with an SSM link I have to think this is just pure speculation. If enough people call a cat a dog it doesn't make it a dog. :)

He is honourable, yes, but he is also very.....lusty. ;)

I disagree.

He's got a crush first on Tanselle and then on the Red Widow. Twice in a three books (in a year?)

And he's not lustying over them, precisely. And I suppose he's not once been with a woman, at that time.

He's a boy of 17 or something. So I consider him very unlusty. ;)

Why do people say Dunk was not knighted. I thought he was knighted before his master's death. Is it because know one saw this happen?

without goig back to read, as I remember he lied about his master knighting him, because he needed to compete in the tournament. Also somewhere it says Barristan suspected I think, something about Duncan being shifty.

I disagree.

He's got a crush first on Tanselle and then on the Red Widow. Twice in a three books (in a year?)

And he's not lustying over them, precisely. And I suppose he's not once been with a woman, at that time.

He's a boy of 17 or something. So I consider him very unlusty. ;)

He's not unlusty he just hasn't had the opportunity and is not pushy. He went all the way to Dorne based on liking Tanselle. He could have had children when he got more grown up.

I know, I was just pointing it out to the posters on here that kept asking for a link.

Nowhere in this thread is there evidence that GRRM ever said anything about more than one descendant. As readily as most people on here can come up with an SSM link I have to think this is just pure speculation. If enough people call a cat a dog it doesn't make it a dog. :)

. This is exactly my point. I've seen it on other dunk descendant threads as well. I've made numerous comments about it but keep getting ignored. This appears to be pure speculation that nobody wants to debunk. If there is evidence of there being 4, I'd love to see it, but if there isn't, I think we should stop pretending there is.

. This is exactly my point. I've seen it on other dunk descendant threads as well. I've made numerous comments about it but keep getting ignored. This appears to be pure speculation that nobody wants to debunk. If there is evidence of there being 4, I'd love to see it, but if there isn't, I think we should stop pretending there is.

That suits me fine. And more the better were there no more talk about the Cleganes... Brienne, very well. Hodor, maybe. But please, not Cleganes!

That suits me fine. And more the better were there no more talk about the Cleganes... Brienne, very well. Hodor, maybe. But please, not Cleganes!

The Cleganes don't make any sense to me. Their lineage is pretty clearly defined. Dunk isnt' the only tall man in the history of westeros I would imagine. I do think Brienne and Hodor for sure. They also have Dunk's sense of honor and integrity. Hodor and Brienne would kill for the Starks. I do think Left and Right are possiblities but here is no real evidence. We have evidence for Brienne with the shield and we have evidence for Hodor with Bran's visions and the knowledge of the She-Wolves of Winterfell.

Why do people say Dunk was not knighted. I thought he was knighted before his master's death. Is it because know one saw this happen?

There's a fairly strong theory that Dunk fibbed about Ser Arlan knighting him before he died, but it has not been expressly stated. But Dunk is often evasive when directly asked about his knighting. He is extremely hesitant to knight the Fossoway fellow at the trial by combat (for if Dunk is not a true knight then anyone he knights is also false). There's a few other clues as well that I can't remember off-hand.

All in all, it also fits the character and the tale very well. Dunk, like Brienne (his likely descendent), is one of the best examples of shiny, chivalrous, do-gooding knightliness. But neither are actual knights...

for now.

Just so. He went all way to Dorne. So he was more in love than just lusty. Right?

From what we've seen so far, Dunk ain't "lusty." The dude is downright shy. But from the reactions of the female characters, I think we can say that Dunk is a bit of a hotty. Great build, overall kind demeanor, but with that dangerous edge (dude can and WILL kill people). If Dunk ever gets over his shyness (he got a bit bold with the Red Widow) he's gonna be a straight-up playa.

From what we've seen so far, Dunk ain't "lusty." The dude is downright shy. But from the reactions of the female characters, I think we can say that Dunk is a bit of a hotty. Great build, overall kind demeanor, but with that dangerous edge (dude can and WILL kill people). If Dunk ever gets over his shyness (he got a bit bold with the Red Widow) he's gonna be a straight-up playa.

Just throwin in some proof. :D
“You have large feet,” she observed. “Large hands as well. I think you must be large all over..."

Precisely. And were there any more chastity in a young knight it would be just worrisome. ;)

Archived