Syrio Forel v. Gregor Clegane

BondJamesBond

Rules:

Location: A large, but confined area. Let's say a tourney field.

Weapons: No arrows, but otherwise anything goes.

Armor: whatever they want

Horses: fair game, but the horses can be killed

Prize: Arya

How to win: to the death

Discuss.

(my theory is Syrio is a master of all weapons, not just swords)

Can Syrio cancel out his Shoryuken to throw a fireball, though?

Stop making fun of the guy! :-) Yes, he thinks too much of Syrio, but I have read lots of posts prior to posting one and I have to say that you are the other extreme. You really think too little of Syrio. Is it, because he is black? :-) (Ali G reference, sorry, could not help my self.)

Rules:

Location: A large, but confined area. Let's say a tourney field.

Weapons: No arrows, but otherwise anything goes.

Armor: whatever they want

Horses: fair game, but the horses can be killed

Prize: Arya

How to win: to the death

Discuss.

(my theory is Syrio is a master of all weapons, not just swords)

As someone, who respects Syrio's skills deeply, I have to say this: nobody can be a master of all weapons. Yes, he is probably very skillful with some others, besides bravo's blade. But all? Just an example: why would he be an expert with a lance?

Having said that, I believe that Syrio could take on the Mountain and win. Although the Mountain is incredibly strong, I just do not see him landing a hit on Syrio, while on the other hand I can see Syrio poking so many holes in him that he would look like Swiss cheese. :-)

Yeah, I don't think of the mountain as being a really fast fighter. Syrio could win. But, as I said, he could win; nothing could be certain since there is always a bit of luck involved in a battle with such a strong competitor. If Gregor would catch him, he would be lost in a moment, so he would better be fast.

Syrio's biggest problem is that Gregor is easily strong enough to cut Syrio in half, even if he parries with his own sword. It'll snap like a stick and Gregor is pretty fast too - especially as a shield can be used as a weapon too. Oberyn's plan was to use a weapon that had even greater range than the Mountain's two-handed greatsword, something that worked out pretty well until Gregor got within reach of him.

The Mountain's strength and range will just prove too much for Syrio.

Well, Syrio does not strike me as being the arrogant boaster that Oberyn was. Oberyn had the mountain beat, but he let his emotions get in the way. I would place Syrio at Oberyn's level skill wise. They are both very good with their hands, have lightning reflexes, tons of experience, and little to no fear. I believe it is a toss-up, Syrio could definitely kill Gregor, and vice versa. Gregor is insanely powerful, has experience, and is faster than any man his size should be. However, I think that Gregor lacks in the technical fighting area, something that Syrio has in abundance. On a tourney field, I believe Syrio would be triumphant. On a battle field, amidst all the combat, I might have to lean towards Gregor. Armor would not matter for Syrio, it would just weigh him down and restrict movement. Besides, if Syrio needs to absorb a blow from Gregor on his armor, that would not bode well for the First Sword of Braavos.

Stop making fun of the guy! :-) Yes, he thinks too much of Syrio, but I have read lots of posts prior to posting one and I have to say that you are the other extreme. You really think too little of Syrio. Is it, because he is black? :-) (Ali G reference, sorry, could not help my self.)
I don't know, he is black? I had no idea. Way to imply I'm racist, thanks, though.

Anyway, no, I'm not the other extreme, it's not extreme to say the guy is not superman and will not win when the situation is hopeless. It's not because you were olympic champion in one martial art when you were young that you will prevail against another champion from another style that totally negate your advantages, no matter how good you were in your discipline.

Also, I come with history in mind. Italian duellists, masters, great guys, wouldn't have fared well on the battlefield. There is a reason duel stuff was never used in war. And that was armour, before it was firearms.

Syrio isn't innately better than Oberyn, and doesn't have the reach given by the lance. Thinking on your feet only goes so far.

I would love to say that Syrio would win. But we're not even sure if a bravo's blade can deal with the average plate-and-mail (I suspect that it can, but that's another thread). The bottom line is, Gregor Clegane's armor is not the average fucking plate-and-mail. I don't imagine that Syrio's typical tactics could take the Mountain down.

But, all that aside, we're overlooking what is going to truly fuck Syrio. He spent nine years as the First Sword of Braavos - riding boats, not horses. There is no evidence whatsoever that Syrio would have anywhere near the experience or expertise as a rider that Clegane would be required to have, as an anointed knight.

As much as I hate to say it: if horses are in, the Mountain for the win.

I don't know, he is black? I had no idea. Way to imply I'm racist, thanks, though.

Anyway, no, I'm not the other extreme, it's not extreme to say the guy is not superman and will not win when the situation is hopeless. It's not because you were olympic champion in one martial art when you were young that you will prevail against another champion from another style that totally negate your advantages, no matter how good you were in your discipline.

Also, I come with history in mind. Italian duellists, masters, great guys, wouldn't have fared well on the battlefield. There is a reason duel stuff was never used in war. And that was armour, before it was firearms.

Syrio isn't innately better than Oberyn, and doesn't have the reach given by the lance. Thinking on your feet only goes so far.

Oh, for goodness sake!!! I explicitelly said it was only a joke. From Ali G. And you understood my post in the wrong way? Having read a lot of your previous posts, are you sure you are not just trying to pick a fight with someone, who appreciates Syrio more than you do?

No, the guy is not a Superman. I said the same thing to Bond.

Do not mention Italians and fighting in the same sentence, please. They are great guys, they have many talents, but fighting is not among them. Good for them, I suppose. :-)

Syrio is better than Oberyn. You have to think about time alocation. Syrio lives (or at least has lived for a large part of his life) for his fighting skills, while Oberyn is my kind of a person: lots of kinky sex, a considerable amount of good wine and spicy food... A day has only 24 hours. :-)

Oh, for goodness sake!!! I explicitelly said it was only a joke. From Ali G. And you understood my post in the wrong way?
No, but you stating it's a joke doesn't remove the implication of bias and racism (beside I have no idea what Ali G is). Your subsequent arguing that I only get annoyed because I'm biased against people holding another opinion than mine only serves to confirm that this bias implication is very real.

Do not mention Italians and fighting in the same sentence, please. They are great guys, they have many talents, but fighting is not among them. Good for them, I suppose.
If I said you were a prejudiced ignoramus at this point, can I pass it off as a joke if I put a smiley behind? Anyway, check some basic facts.

My money would definently be on Gregor. He is both strong and ferocious and armed to the teeth. Syrio is fast and skilled but he wouldnt fare well against anyone armed like the Mountain, remember his fight with Trant? Sure he only had a wooden stick but I doubt the kind of sword he normally uses would fare any better. Oberyn was trained in a similar way as Gregor while Syrio was not, regardless of who was better. If the Mountain was ahorse he would also have an advantage. I just cant see how Syrio would win, unless Gregor falls down as he did against Oberyn..

No, but you stating it's a joke doesn't remove the implication of bias and racism (beside I have no idea what Ali G is). Your subsequent arguing that I only get annoyed because I'm biased against people holding another opinion than mine only serves to confirm that this bias implication is very real.

Man, you really need to get laid or something. :-) Ali G is Borat. Ali G is Brunno. Ali G is Sacha Baron Cohen. Feel better now? Stop twisting my words. As I said, you are only trying to pick a fight with a person, who admires Syrio for his skills. That is all I said and I stand by my words.

If I said you were a prejudiced ignoramus at this point, can I pass it off as a joke if I put a smiley behind? Anyway, check some basic facts.

Yes, you can. :-) It is a common joke about Italians in their neighbouring countries. They are considered to be good lovers and good cooks, but not good fighters. It has to do with WWI and WWII, where they have lost even when they had an upper hand in technology and numbers.

But it is still a joke.

Relax, bro. I meant no disrespect. My saying that you do not like Syrio, because he is black, is pretty much the same as my saying, that they have killed Kenny. Again! :-)

Gregor has no equal in westeros.

Horses are allowed? It's not even known whether the Braavosi use horses or have cavalry, this isn't really a fair thread, it's a slaughter.

You're taking about a 300 lb 8ft man head to toe in thick armour wielding a greatword which has a larger size than the average height of this forum, with a thick oaken shield, the speed method has already been tried once using probabaly the ONLY weapon which could counter him, wielded by someone highly skilled by it.

Aside from the Armor advantage, and the horse advantage, and the reach advantage Ser Gregor has (wow that's a lot of advantages so far), Gregor is also described many times as not taking wounds like a normal man. When Dondarrion takes a lance through the eye, he needs the red priest to revive him. When Ser Gregor takes an arrow to the chest, he pulls it out and keeps fighting like nothing happened.

Even if Syrio could get close enough to Gregor, and somehow get past his armor, a small wound on the thigh or shoulder would literally tickle Gregor. At which point Gregor would grab Syrio, punch his face in, and admit to raping and killiing Syrio's sister and her baby.

Aside from the Armor advantage, and the horse advantage, and the reach advantage Ser Gregor has (wow that's a lot of advantages so far), Gregor is also described many times as not taking wounds like a normal man. When Dondarrion takes a lance through the eye, he needs the red priest to revive him. When Ser Gregor takes an arrow to the chest, he pulls it out and keeps fighting like nothing happened.

Even if Syrio could get close enough to Gregor, and somehow get past his armor, a small wound on the thigh or shoulder would literally tickle Gregor. At which point Gregor would grab Syrio, punch his face in, and admit to raping and killiing Syrio's sister and her baby.

Sorry, but this was ridiculous. The Mountain losing two litres of blood, because Syrio pierced him at the right places, would result in Mountain laughing? You are not even closely in touch with reality..

Sorry, but this was ridiculous. The Mountain losing two litres of blood, because Syrio pierced him at the right places, would result in Mountain laughing? You are not even closely in touch with reality..

This is a prime example of when fandom goes too far.

Archived