The Gold Company - Best Fighting Unit in the World?

Dark Rider

The Gold Company are widely held as the best private military outfit in Essos. Constantly engaged in combat for hundreds of years. Comprised of some hardcore individual who are the best of the best (Summer Islander Archers, top notch Elephant handlers, Knights in spades). They're basically the medieval "Blackwater."

How would you rate them? Better than the Second Sons and other PMCs?

I'm personally hoping to see them do some serious damage.

The Unsullied are great infantry, but the Gold Company is so well rounded I think they could take them any day of the week in a fight. GC is rolling heavy cavalry with their knights, elephants, the world's best archers..no way an infantry like the unsullied can stand-up to that.

Even if Daenarys' unsullied remain intact after the coming battle in Mereen and she is able to win over Khal Jaquo's Khalasar, the Golden Company has elephants and archers with much more range than any Dothraki. The Golden Company is only decisively screwed if Daenary's has Drogon to turn the tide.

I don't think Stannis would want to hire them if they weren't at least among the best. They certainly have a sterling reputation in Essos, and what little we've seen of them in action in Westeros (granted, it was against castles that were lightly fortified) indicates that they know what they're doing. I'm really looking forward to seeing them in action in TWOW.

Even if Daenarys' unsullied remain intact after the coming battle in Mereen and she is able to win over Khal Jaquo's Khalasar, the Golden Company has elephants and archers with much more range than any Dothraki. The Golden Company is only decisively screwed if Daenary's has Drogon to turn the tide.

The Dothraki do have dragonbone bows.

"It is strong as steel, yet lighter and far more flexible, and of course utterly impervious to fire. Dragonbone bows are greatly prized by the Dothraki, and small wonder. An archer so armed can outrange any wooden bow."

If they took Storm's End like Arianne's first chapter from tWoW seems to indicate with 10,000 men, when Mace Tyrell couldn't do that with at least twice that number, they have got to be one of the best fighting units in the world.

The fact alone that Stannis wanted to hire them speaks volumes to their skill. They have the top spot, as far as sellswords go, and Aegon is going to win the Iron Throne with them. He'll keep it warm for Stannis.

The Dothraki do have dragonbone bows.

"It is strong as steel, yet lighter and far more flexible, and of course utterly impervious to fire. Dragonbone bows are greatly prized by the Dothraki, and small wonder. An archer so armed can outrange any wooden bow."

Yeah, but only some of them. It is not standard issue.

If they took Storm's End like Arianne's first chapter from tWoW seems to indicate with 10,000 men, when Mace Tyrell couldn't do that with at least twice that number, they have got to be one of the best fighting units in the world.

The fact alone that Stannis wanted to hire them speaks volumes to their skill. They have the top spot, as far as sellswords go, and Aegon is going to win the Iron Throne with them. He'll keep it warm for Stannis.

What makes you think the Golden company took Storm's End by storm? For all we know, Jon Connington could've used deception as Ramsay Bolton did to Theon in Winterfell.

I dont know about Best Fighting Unit. They do have the best reputation when it comes to sellswords and seem to be worth their price. But when it comes to Best Fighting Unit i think that titles goes to the Unsullied. They have all the attributes to be the perfect fighting force. Under the right commanders they are simply the best

I dont know about Best Fighting Unit. They do have the best reputation when it comes to sellswords and seem to be worth their price. But when it comes to Best Fighting Unit i think that titles goes to the Unsullied. They have all the attributes to be the perfect fighting force. Under the right commanders they are simply the best

I'll take thinking warriors any day over robotic soldiers. The true strength of Dany's Unsullied will be their growing independence and ability to think on their own.

Many a battle in history has turned on the action of an NCO taking command and exploiting an enemy weakness in the heat of battle. I think the true strength of Western militaries has always been not the Generals, but the non-commissioned officers and young officers. At the end of the day a great plan is only great until the first shot is fired. Adapt and overcome.

A few or even a few dozen Dothraki with Dragon Bone bows may be able to meet or exceed the range of the Summer Islanders, but all the Summer Islanders have excellent range and can mass their fire in a more deadly concentration of steel rain.

I respectfully disagree. A Dothraki archer with a dragonbone bow will outrange any Summer Islander archer. It is known.

Considering the type of opponents they have to fight in Essos I don't think their combat experience is really a huge mark in their favor since I don't think any of the Essos armies (including Dothraki) would stand a mummers fart of a chance against a proper medieval army like would be found in Westeros. Once I see them fight against an army like the ones Tywin and Robb had then I might change my opinion of them, but until then they are just average by Westerosi standards in my book.

Archived