Horn of Winter = The horn Victorian has.

Davos' fingertip

As far as I remember, Dany did seem to have some blisters due to being torched by Drogon and not just her hair burning away (unless that was from scrambling around on rocks, but I doubt it) so not completely immune to fire - if Targaryens were immune to all things hot, Vicerys wouldn't have died - but she does have a strange resistance to fire that gives her slight injuries (although blisters can be extremely painful at times).

Seeing as the series is almost coming to a close, it is quite possible that Victarion does have the horn that binds dragons, otherwise it's another wild goose chase. It's also possible that Sam has the Horn of Joramun, and yet I'm still slightly dubious simply because it's broken so if it is, it's quite useless. Not only that, to bring down the Wall, it's going to have to be pretty bloody big.

Which is why - and this is quite fanciful - I'm open to the theory of the horn Victarion has not being the Horn of Joramun, but possessing the ability of bringing down the Wall. Heat melts ice, does it not?

Someone suggested that Sam will make a big blunder and accidentally blow the Horn of Joramun to announce the coming of the Others and brings down the Wall instead. What if, after she's set foot in Westeros, her dragons get a bit careless and bring down the Wall themselves? There she goes, hoping to conquer the Seven Kingdoms and be loved by all, only to destroy the one thing that's kept the Others mostly at bay and brings them crashing down on them all. Again, fanciful, but I wouldn't put it past Dany to screw up in spectacular fashion.

Dany knows that the Valyrians used horns to control the dragons, which allowed flying on them. She hopped on the back of Drogon already, but found it.. quite hard to control it. Why? Because she did not have a Valyrian horn. The one Victarion has with him is known to burn the insides of the men who blow it. Daenerys on the other hand can not be hurt by fire.. It's quite clear and I do not think it has anything to do with the Horn of Joramun. Some secret plot forged between Euron and the Others seems to be out of the question, so I am sticking with the obvious theory.

another person that knows nothing about daenerys and fire!! fire CAN kill her!! the egg hatching was a once off

If Targaryens were immune to all things hot, Vicerys wouldn't have died - but she does have a strange resistance to fire that gives her slight injuries.

Do you remember what Daenerys said after Viserys died? Dragons can not be hurt by fire, so Viserys wasn't a ''dragon.'' It's said that Rhaegar was the last of the dragons, even though he wasn't the last Targaryen alive. ''Madness and greatness were two sides of the same coin and every time a new Targaryen was born, the gods would toss the coin in the air and the world would hold its breath to see how it would land'', said King Jaeharys II. I think it's the same with immunity to heat. But you are 100% correct about the blisters.. yet I think the dragonfire would do more damage if it was someone else. It's said she had blisters in her hands, even though it was her hair that burned. So her scalp was undamaged by the flames? Just another fact that points to the direction that Dany is resistant to heat more or less.

another person that knows nothing about daenerys and fire!! fire CAN kill her!! the egg hatching was a once off

I am all ears in case you will present some information that I do not know.

To the people claiming that Dany is not immune to fire because of GRRM's interview...that interview is from 1999, for starters. Dany would have been burned to death by Drogon in ADWD were she not somewhat immune, and blisters do not equate to burns.

And, perhaps most importantly: The show is going all out that Dany is indeed fire-proof. So, while all Targaryens are not fire-proof, it has been made quite clear that Dany is indeed fire-proof to some (large) extent in the books and 100% fire-proof in the show.

Dany knows that the Valyrians used horns to control the dragons, which allowed flying on them. She hopped on the back of Drogon already, but found it.. quite hard to control it. Why? Because she did not have a Valyrian horn. The one Victarion has with him is known to burn the insides of the men who blow it. Daenerys on the other hand can not be hurt by fire.. It's quite clear and I do not think it has anything to do with the Horn of Joramun. Some secret plot forged between Euron and the Others seems to be out of the question, so I am sticking with the obvious theory.

I'm sold on this! I think Dany will use the horn at some point...by magic....And not be hurt. Another blood sacrifice or something. And I believe Sam has the Horn of Winter

The horn was already blown at the Kingsmoot. If it was the Horn of Winter it would have brought down the wall already. I think Sam has the Horn of Joramun with him in Oldtown. It is the one that Ghost found beyond the Wall with all of the obsidian daggers and arrowheads.

yeah but by that logic the Dragons should have come to Euron already, if it was the dragon horn.

yeah but by that logic the Dragons should have come to Euron already, if it was the dragon horn.

It has to be within the Dragons Earshot, I think. But for it to take down the Wall, all the way in Meereen, would be ridiculous, if it didn't take it down at the Iron Islands.

ETA: Also I think it has to be blown three times anyway. It was only blown once at the Kingsmoot iirc. So Vic has to blow it three times for the Dragons to come flocking to him.

Also, it has Valyrian writing on it. Why would the Horn of Joramun have Valyrian writing? Horn of Joramun would most likely have Old Tongue, or something older than that.

The horn was already blown at the Kingsmoot. If it was the Horn of Winter it would have brought down the wall already. I think Sam has the Horn of Joramun with him in Oldtown. It is the one that Ghost found beyond the Wall with all of the obsidian daggers and arrowheads.

I agree to this logic because i thought the same when i was reading a feast for crows.

It was blown three times i just read in the book.

It was blown three times i just read in the book.

Then it has to be within the Dragons earshot for the Dragons to go all, "I'm going home!" towards Vic or Euron. Also why I think GRRM had Drogo(n)(I forget who's the dragon and who's the person sometimes) isn't in Meereen, so Dany gets to keep one Dragon while the others take a journey to find their masters.

P.S., isn't it interesting that Dany has a Black Dragon, while Jon has a White Direwolf? They're opposites! (sorry, i got excited lol)

'Euron's gifts are poisoned' GRRM keeps mentioning this. Now Euron gave Victorian the horn, but we can't be sure its the same horn he blew at the Kingsmoot, even if it is, it could be a lie that it binds dragons. Victorian has already figured out that blowing the horn kills the person who blows it, and i don't think Euron is stupid enough to believe Victorian wouldn't have figured that out, so why did he give Victorian the horn? It would be stupid to give that horn to his brother, if it did actually work. i think this 'poisonous' gift is that it is actually the Horn of Winter. Who knows, maybe Euron wants Westeros overrun with The Others because of some secret agenda? Or maybe he's waiting for everyone to die so he can claim the throne for himself?

I also think this is the case because we're on to the sixth book and all the horns that were supposed to be 'the horn of winter' have been actually fake, so IMO it would only make sense for a horn that isn't supposed to be the horn of winter, to turn out to be just that.

Wouldn't this have brought the wall down when Euron had it blown? Or did it have to be blown AT the wall for it to work? I don't remember the details of the Horn.

I do think the horn of jorumon and horn that binds the dragons are actually two different horns, because a lot of hints are given in the books like in SoS mance actually was searching in frost fags and all for this horn and in FFC euron tells that he found the dragon horn in valyaria.What i don't get is if euron knew this was the horn which will get the dragons and exactly knew where the dragons where why indeed then give this horn to his brother.Also i think the horn can only be blown by a targ for it to be effective on a dragon.

He said the Targaryens are not fireproof, but did not mention anything about Dany. The birth of her dragons was unique, yes, but it was not the only time fire could not hurt her(f.e the scene at the fighting pits).

Granny Do Targaryens become immune to fire once they "bond" to their dragons? George_RR_Martin Granny, thanks for asking that. It gives me a chance to clear up a common misconception. TARGARYENS ARE NOT IMMUNE TO FIRE! The birth of Dany's dragons was unique, magical, wonderous, a miracle. She is called The Unburnt because she walked into the flames and lived. But her brother sure as hell wasn't immune to that molten gold. Revanshe So she won't be able to do it again? George_RR_Martin Probably not.

Then it has to be within the Dragons earshot for the Dragons to go all, "I'm going home!" towards Vic or Euron. Also why I think GRRM had Drogo(n)(I forget who's the dragon and who's the person sometimes) isn't in Meereen, so Dany gets to keep one Dragon while the others take a journey to find their masters.

P.S., isn't it interesting that Dany has a Black Dragon, while Jon has a White Direwolf? They're opposites! (sorry, i got excited lol)

Which makes me think that somehow Jon will end up on the white dragon. Then again, I also think Ghost won't survive the next book.

Which makes me think that somehow Jon will end up on the white dragon. Then again, I also think Ghost won't survive the next book.

Yeah, I think if Jon does get a dragon, he'll have to sacrifice Ghost Nissa Nissa style. I just don't see him having both a Dragon AND and Direwolf. One or the other, one or the other.

Granny Do Targaryens become immune to fire once they "bond" to their dragons? George_RR_Martin Granny, thanks for asking that. It gives me a chance to clear up a common misconception. TARGARYENS ARE NOT IMMUNE TO FIRE! The birth of Dany's dragons was unique, magical, wonderous, a miracle. She is called The Unburnt because she walked into the flames and lived. But her brother sure as hell wasn't immune to that molten gold. Revanshe So she won't be able to do it again? George_RR_Martin Probably not.

I don't see it as total proof. I have the crazy dany the unburnt thread up. The answer never says dany is not resistent. And "probably not" is a vague answer. Especially with how old it is...things change. He killed the dragons by heat in the doom. So nothing is truly immune. But resistance is a possibility till I hear otherwise.. I could be wrong. But I keep it in mind while reading.

First post, if I do anything wrong feel free to let me know.

First of all, on the topic of the thread, I just don't see Vic or that specific horn ending up close enough to the Wall it to be revealed as Joramun's horn. I honestly don't believe he will survive long enough to make it to that point, and why would a man who is more comfortable at sea be doing at the Wall? Whether or not it actually works on the dragons remains to be seen. Moquorro says that the user must claim the horn, who's to say that Euron has not already done this? He seems to know a lot more than he has told Vic and would have a lot more experience in things related to Valyria. Wouldn't it be ironic if Vic uses the horn in order to claim the dragons for himself and take back the seastone chair, and they flew off to Euron. Its the only explaination i can think of as to why he would give his brother that valuable an item unless it was somehow cursed (or a fake which is also likely). The only thing about that is if that was the case, why wouldn't Euron send one of his own to blow it? Is it possible that there needs to be a connection between the one who blows the horn and the one who masters it? Either way, Euron has some kind of plan involving that horn and i doubt it's going to end well for Vic. I like the idea of Sam having Joramun's horn, it would make the finding of it that much more significant and Sam is guarenteed to end up back at the Wall at some point which would allow the horn's true purpose to be known. Does a magical item have to be fully intact for it to work?

Secondly to the people who are talking about Dany being fireproof, there is a great thread somewhere on this forum (unfortunately I don't have the link, but definately add it if you do) that covers all of the main arguments about it with GRRM interviews, quotes from the books and general science. To Hilinia, the blisters were from pulling out the spear and not from Drogon's breath, again read the thread, it should cover that. And to those who will still argue that her unburned scalp is proof: Go look up Mythbusters, Adam Savage burns off eyebrow on youtube. This is a real life event in which someone takes a blast of flame to the face which burns off their hair and leaves their skin unburnt. Who knows, maybe he is a Targ. The other thing people assume about the Pit event is that Drogon's flame was aimed directly at her. Do we have any book evidence to prove that? If Drogon had really wanted her dead she would never have been able to mount him about two seconds after. End of story.

If you want to continue arguing about Dany's fire resistance after reading the other thread then start a new one up with a link to the old, but please try to keep this thread on topic.

Archived