Your Theory is Wrong

Sour Billy Tipton

How do you feel?

There are so many on this site. Do some of you get upset and think your idea was better? Do you shrug your shoulders and keep reading? Maybe you take solace in the fact that George knows best.

Maybe most on here are like myself. I started reading in the middle of season 1 and kept going. TWOW is the first book I've waited for, I now have time to come up with my own outcomes or agree/disagree with the rest of the fan base.

Also if your theory has proven correct in past books post about it.

I won't mind if GRRM utterly surprises us / me. Hell, I may prefer it.

This giant decryption machine called internet fandom is going to try every possible permutation that's out there. It's inevitable that as the new facts (in the text) are observed, a single course of events will take shape and the other possible versions instantly cease to be.

Being wrong is even more fun than being right.

I remember when I was at a Superbowl party for the Colts vs. Saints game. Colts led 10-6 after the half and would have possession to start the third.

Just before kickoff I said, "Watch for the onside kick, they could try it." Saints then successfully recovered an onside kick. Everyone looked at me like I had ESP while I was cursing at the tv (I'm a Colts fan).

Saints scored a TD after that, and had momentum the rest of the game and completed the upset.

Being wrong would have been more fun than being right that time.

How do you feel?

There are so many on this site. Do some of you get upset and think your idea was better? Do you shrug your shoulders and keep reading? Maybe you take solace in the fact that George knows best.

Maybe most on here are like myself. I started reading in the middle of season 1 and kept going. TWOW is the first book I've waited for, I now have time to come up with my own outcomes or agree/disagree with the rest of the fan base.

Also if you're theory has proven correct in past books post about it.

Well, it burns just a little.

I watched both seasons before I read the books, so this is my first wait, too. But in the months between the end of season 2 and the undertaking of 5000+ pages, I certainly knocked some ideas around. Really, no other show I'd ever seen made me think so much about what the hell was going to happen. Few books, either.

I remember theorizing that Talisa was a Lannister spy/saboteur planted by Tywin...and when I first found out that in the books Robb's girl was actually the daughter of a bannerman to Casterly Rock, I thought I was right. But the girl clearly loved Robb.

I thought Gendry was going to get to the wall and become Jon Snow's new best friend...and together, they would sweep across the realm dealing justice. Or was that second part just a dream?

Also before the books and all the way through them, I thought Jon might be the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna...so when I came here I was very gratified to find that so many others thought the same thing. Still waiting for genuine confirmation, of course.

Good thread man, even if it is tough to get people to admit that their theories were wrong haha. It's a hard assessment to make, since ADWD didn't really touch on a lot of the plotlines that AFFC covered--anything involving Sansa/The Eyrie would be an example; if you had a theory about that after AFFC you wouldn't be able to confirm or refute it [unless your theory was that nothing would happen there for a whole book].

Personally, I was sure that Bran's ADWD chapters would end with him staying, Jojen dying, and Meera receiving Dark Sister from Bloodraven before she and Hodor returned to the main plot arc. But Dance didn't get that far, so my theory's in limbo.

Well, it burns just a little.

I watched both seasons before I read the books, so this is my first wait, too. But in the months between the end of season 2 and the undertaking of 5000+ pages, I certainly knocked some ideas around. Really, no other show I'd ever seen made me think so much about what the hell was going to happen. Few books, either.

I remember thinking that Westeros would be in trouble when Dany, Drogo, and Rhaego came ashore. Then I started reading the books and found out how wrong I was before I saw it on HBO.

Also during the books I assumed Dany would be in Westeros by book 3 probably, and the Eyrie would come to the rescue for House Stark soon. Still think the latter will happen eventually but for Dany I feel George has to get her on a ship soon, but I'm not making any bets.

I'm usually wrong with any theories I make up myself (and need other people to enlighten me what's really going on) because I usually can't be bothered to pick out all the cryptic clues in the books. So I'm not disappointed when I turn out to be wrong, because the real thing is usually much better than I imagined.

I remember thinking that Westeros would be in trouble when Dany, Drogo, and Rhaego came ashore. Then I started reading the books and found out how wrong I was before I saw it on HBO.

Also during the books I assumed Dany would be in Westeros by book 3 probably, and the Eyrie would come to the rescue for House Stark soon. Still think the latter will happen eventually but for Dany I feel George has to get her on a ship soon, but I'm not making any bets.

Ah, forgot about Dany. You're right...the scene where Drogo vows to take the Iron Throne for Dany and their son in front of his Khalasar is easily one of the best on the show to date. It got me fearing for the life of every Stark...hell, I even pitied the white walker to get in Drogo's way. For a while, the show felt a lot emptier without him.

After an episode about half way through season 2, I turned to my brother and said, "This season will end with Dany on a boat to Westeros." And after I saw the finale, I thought my prophecy had been fulfilled. Little did I know...

I still think ned raped jons mother and benjen is at the wall for rape as well.

Any theories on the victims?

The app proved one of my theories wrong. Mostly. It was a bit of a burn. Not because it was a theory I cared about (had to do with Loras and Dragonstone) but because I couldn't figure out how it made sense. I've since updated my theory to fit with the confirmed info in the app. If any of the theories I support are proven wrong in future books or reveals, it might burn for a moment, but I'd pretty much get over it quickly and move along as I trust the author knows what he's doing.

I've been proven wrong dozens of times on these forums. I get frustrated in the debates at times, but I actually rather enjoy it. There's no better time to learn than when you are initially ignorant. Plus, no matter how frustrating discussion can be, it's always satisfying.

Archived