My thoughts about the first book and series in general

KingAlanI

George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

"So this is what high fantasy is supposed to be like"

I was intrigued by the mythos and wanted to read the books before watching the TV show, although I must say that the screenshots and clips look tantalizing now that I have become acquainted with the book.

I could say many great things about the details of this book, but I first and foremost appreciate the epic feel. I suppose this is exactly what high fantasy is supposed to be like. It reminds me of when I first heard Zeppelin, thinking that's exactly what rock'n'roll is supposed to be like. Martin creates a very adult work, and not just in the violence, sex and profanity, but also in the overall complexity of the story. This is a relief after my frustration at the limitations of 'young adult' (teenager) works.

I never could get into LOTR, because I couldn't stomach Tolkein's dense prose. I rather like Martin's writing style. The pages fly by, although there are so many of them. I like the occasional comic relief. Martin has a gift for quaint yet understandable phrasing, which adds to the medieval feel without getting in the way of the read. I appreciate the magical realism (not overdoing the fantastic elements); conflict between practical and holy figures perhaps addresses this in-character. There's so much detail in both setting and characters. Martin's narrative mode, switching between limited third person POV's, is intriguing and works very well. There's often a good cliffhanger feel when switching POV's. By contrast, sticking to one first person POV can be limited in what it reveals of the setting and secondary characters.

Despite some apparently clear heroes and villains, it isn't clear what side to take. Many bad things happen to good people. Some deaths were a senseless surprise. That seems both realistic and painful to read. Some writers make things go too easy for the heroes; Martin errs in the other direction at times. Robb was trained well, but that seems to include carrying over Ned's impractical honor. Ned had some serious work to do ruling in the King's place. I thought he showed some firm leadership there, but I was afraid the situation was going to blow up in his face anyway.

Jon Snow, Tyrion Lannister, Samwell Tarly and the Targaryens illustrate what's it's like to be sort of nobility but not really in a world where that's everything. No wonder Jon befriends Sam. I empathize with Sam as a nonmacho but otherwise valuable individual. However, I was amused by the guy talk in the males-only group that is the Night's Watch.

I figured the Arya-Sansa conflict was more than just a tomboy-girly girl personality clash, but I wasn't sure what. Perhaps disdain for Sansa's romantic naievete, in general or about Joffrey in particular? I wondered when she would lose her fantasies about Joffrey, and the eventual answer was obvious enough.

Arya disarming Joffrey was one of the amusing early parts, "tell about how you got disarmed by a nine year old girl with a broom handle" or somesuch being one of Martin's many great one-liners. Maybe liking that part was a sign of how much I already disliked Joffrey.

Many characters do adult things very young. Do they grow up fast? Does Martin's variety of human mature faster? The females being wedded and bedded young might be part of the environment's misogyny, but many male characters seem beyond their years as well. Incompetent boys in power might be a purposeful criticism of hereditary authority. Is the misogyny over the top on purpose, or simply part of the medieval setting?

Bran thinking Jaime and Cersei were wrestling with their clothes off is a classic line for a kid catching people in flagrante delicto.

Though I had sympathized with the Targaryens for being usurped, I was pleased with the eventual putdowns of Viserys for being hard hitting and appropriate.

Is Martin trying to say something about racial issues with the Dothraki as amongst the few dark-skinned peoples present? If so, what? Tactically, they reminded me of Mongols in particular. On Drogo and Daenerys' first night, he seemed surprisingly gentle for a barbarian warlord. At the end of that chapter, I wondered if they went all the way. Likely so, but Martin chose an artful way to handle it. Things did get weird in the middle of their relationship; "She was glad he took her from behind as was the Dothraki fashion so he wouldn't see her tears and the pillow would muffle some of her screams" has to be one of the sadder lines I've read.

I worried about Westerosi infighting with the Dothraki coming, but that doesn't seem to be an issue, at least not yet.

I hadn't figured out the wine was poison, but it makes sense.

It was obviously right to interrupt war rape. I didn't think it would appear to have a practical benefit, but even that blows up on Daenerys.

I liked the tactical description of the battles, particularly the one with Tywin's army (where Tyrion leads the left flank)

All of this copious sex seems to be heterosexual except for rumors about one knight totally uninterested in the intimate affairs of women.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived