Thoughts on Gregor

Ser Vallon Snow

In a GoT Gregor loses to Loras in the turney of the Hand through some clever if underhanded tactics. This loss causes Gregor to first kill his horse and then attempt to kill Loras. So what would have happened to Gregor if Sandor hadn't jumped to Loras rescue? Would he have killed Loras? Would Loras have killed Gregor? Would Robert have had Tywin's favorite lap dogs head on a spike or would he have done nothing? Would we have seen Obi Marty come to duel Gregor far earlier?

Loras definitely would have been chopped in half--isn't the exchange described as Ser Loras calling for his sword as the Mountain was swinging for his head? I don't know how many people it would have taken to take the Mountain down but if I were King Robert I'd call for his head there on the field. You can't risk stockading the Mountain only to have him kill the host of guards that come to take him to his trial/execution.

Gregor would have killed Loras and Tywin would have no choice but to take the head of his mad dog. Loras might be a third son, but he is Mace's favorite. Unless Robert wants two wardens warring against each other he would have to call for Gregor's head as well.

Jaime and Barristan were right there.

Maybe both at once could take out Gregor, but maybe not, too. Gregor is a straight up monster, inhumanly strong, gigantic and quick for his size. He feels no pain (save for his headaches) because he drinks milk of the poppy everyday. He wears the thickest armour in Westeros and wields a greatsword with one hand. I think the Selmy and the Kingslayer would have their work cut out for them. It would be the much wiser course, if one was set on killing Gregor then and there, to use ranged attacks. Melee combat plays into The Mountain's strengths.

Whats a bigger deal: raping the Riverlands or killing Loras? Cause Robert was pissed that Ned called for Gregors head even after the Riverland. Robert really wanted Tywin on his side.

Killing Loras, hands down. Raiding some villages is not even close to the same level, politically, as killing the son of a Great House.

Maybe both at once could take out Gregor, but maybe not, too. Gregor is a straight up monster, inhumanly strong, gigantic and quick for his size. He feels no pain (save for his headaches) because he drinks milk of the poppy everyday. He wears the thickest armour in Westeros and wields a greatsword with one hand. I think the Selmy and the Kingslayer would have their work cut out for them. It would be the much wiser course, if one was set on killing Gregor then and there, to use ranged attacks. Melee combat plays into The Mountain's strengths.
Gregor was so screwed. I just checked and he was sorrounded by all the kingsgaurd plus a dozen other knights. I dont care how badass he is; that ass was grass if Robert gave the order (obviously Anguy shooting him in the face would be the best choice though).

Killing Loras, hands down. Raiding some villages is not even close to the same level, politically, as killing the son of a Great House.
they both result in a great lord being incredibly pissed off. The Riverlands has the edge of enraging numerous powerful lords.

Jaime would run and Barristan would be dead......

But Robert being Robert could have tried to take him on himself.

I agree about Robert, what would happen then? Would the Mountain try to fight the King or just back down?

Also, I don't think Jaime would run or refuse if commanded. He might be a self involved prick before losing his hand, but I don't think he's craven.

Jaime would runand Barristan would be dead...... But Robert being Robert could have tried to take him on himself.
Even Oberyn could put Gregor on his back. A legend like Barristan would whoop his ass.

Archived