Valyrian people

Aegon the Harpy

Hello! I'm new at this forum and I don't know wether this topic has been discussed yet.

So, we know that Valyrian people were beautiful, very beautiful. But wbat about ages? Valyria was maybe the realm with the best economy and technology. We also know that some Targaryens like Maester Aemon could pass the 100, and the Targaryens weren't even the most powerful dragonlords in old Valyria. So could it be possible, that some members of the very powefup dragonfamilies had lived for 110,120,or even 130 years?

What do you think?

Sorry for the bad english. I can't speak and write english very good. :-|

The Targs we know of seem to have died young more or less apart from Jaehaerys and Aemon.

But ASoIaF does follow the Magic extends life expectancy thing,So it's quite possible the Dragonlords who immersed themselves in the magical aspects lived longer.

I think the only reason Aemon lived so long at The Wall was because it preserved him there and exteded his life. And as soon as he left The Wall the magic that was helping him live stopped and that's when he started to die.

So I think that Valyrians lived a normal life.

But why did the othe members of the NW didnt live so long?

Probably a lot died before they could become like Aemon.

And I thinks it's mentioned somewhere in the books, maybe AFFC, where someone says that The Wall is preserving Aemon and if they take him away from it he'll die.

But why did the othe members of the NW didnt live so long?

Several of the maesters we see are pretty old. Aemon, Luwin, Pycelle, Cressen. Luwin, Pycelle and Cressen were killed. They may have had many more years left in them had that not happened. The other men at the Night's Watch have died in battle or similar circumstances.

We don't actually know of any Targs, apart from Jaehaerys and Aemon, who lived longer than usual. We also don't know of any other Valyrians who lived longer than usual simply because they were Valyrian. Life span for a noble -one who isn't taken down by sword or general illness - would tend to be longer than a commoner simply due to better resources. That's not to say that no Valyrian has ever dabbled in a sort of magic to extend their lives. But there are old people in Westeros who are unlikely to be of Valyrian descent who have had a long lifespan. See Old Walder Frey.

Valyrians are humans, plain and simple. They live no longer than anybody else under the same circumstances.

A possible reason why maesters grow so old is there cloistered life. Monks have a significantly longer life expectancy than mundane men and a maester's lifestyle resembles a monk's.

I agree that a much better explanation for Aemon's relatively long life is the fact he was a maester, rather than his Valyrian blood.

Not only are maesters relatively safe compared to most other men in Westeros in that they are never required to fight, they also are completely free from manual labor, a huge source of not only strain on one's body, but also a source for injuries and diseases which can kill you in a society with limited medicine. In addition, they are very much in the ruling class, and as such have access to not only a higher quality of food than most people, but also what limited medicines are available. All of these are factors that help prolong one's life, and living to 100 is within the scope of normal human life expectancy (if rather towards the upper limit).

Life span for a noble -one who isn't taken down by sword or general illness - would tend to be longer than a commoner simply due to better resources.

Also worth adding is that maesters only serve wealthy households and do no manual labor. Maesters arguably have easier lives even than the lords they serve--many of the lords are either knights, or are expected to perform martial duties.

TLDR: being a master rocks.

Archived