How we know for sure Others will overrun King's Landing

Freypeat!

Um, what did begin at the Trident if I may ask?

Why does everyone seem to think that the Others invasion will consist of the Others and wights marching down the King's road in a one big bunch, waiting for a final showdown at some certain place (WF, Trident, KL)? Their ways seem to be way more subtle to me and some final battle of the armies looks just pathetic.

The Robert's Reign all but in name.

And I don't assume they're marching down the King's Road, but I think they'll march South. I think they'll get through the Neck effortlessly since all the swamps will be frozen over and making them completely passable. The Others need to leave the North, or else no one else will care.

The Robert's Reign all but in name.

And I don't assume they're marching down the King's Road, but I think they'll march South. I think they'll get through the Neck effortlessly since all the swamps will be frozen over and making them completely passable. The Others need to leave the North, or else no one else will care.

If they manage to pass the Neck, it would probably mean that all the Northern population is dead. Sure, some army might survive, but look what happened with the wildlings. 3-4000 made it south of the wall.... they were hundreds of thousands in the summer.

Anyway, sure, Robert's reign began on the Trident, so what?? that has absolutely nothing to do with the Others. ASOIAF began north of the wall, why not end it there??? Or somewhere connected to the prince that was promised..... Summerhall? or Harrenhal/the Inn at the Crossroads where Rhaegar kidnapped Lyanna??

If they manage to pass the Neck, it would probably mean that all the Northern population is dead. Sure, some army might survive, but look what happened with the wildlings. 3-4000 made it south of the wall.... they were hundreds of thousands in the summer.

Anyway, sure, Robert's reign began on the Trident, so what?? that has absolutely nothing to do with the Others. ASOIAF began north of the wall, why not end it there??? Or somewhere connected to the prince that was promised..... Summerhall? or Harrenhal/the Inn at the Crossroads where Rhaegar kidnapped Lyanna??

Not true. The Others were forced to fool around with the wildlings because they did not have access to richer hunting grounds further south. With the Wall gone, they can immediately access the densely populated South, where wight armies can number in the hundreds of thousands, and where cities like King's Landing alone can be transformed into a wight army of 500,000.

Why mess around in the thinly populated North with its wide open expanses when the ripe pickings of the South are wide open to them the moment the Wall comes down?

Not true. The Others were forced to fool around with the wildlings because they did not have access to richer hunting grounds further south. With the Wall gone, they can immediately access the densely populated South, where wight armies can number in the hundreds of thousands, and where cities like King's Landing alone can be transformed into a wight army of 500,000.

Why mess around in the thinly populated North with its wide open expanses when the ripe pickings of the South are wide open to them the moment the Wall comes down?

Because the Northerners can always fortify Moat Cailin and trap you in the South... Why go immediately South? when you could first gather 1 million zombie Northerns as an army?? They don't need to kill the entire population, but the population of the North is 10-20 times larger then the wildlings... to the White Walkers it would seem like a ripe hunting ground. Do they even know what awaits them down in the South?

Because the Northerners can always fortify Moat Cailin and trap you in the South... Why go immediately South? when you could first gather 1 million zombie Northerns as an army?? They don't need to kill the entire population, but the population of the North is 10-20 times larger then the wildlings... to the White Walkers it would seem like a ripe hunting ground. Do they even know what awaits them down in the South?

How can the North trap them in the South? That's nonsense. The Others have access to the North from the North, whenever they wish it, now that the Wall is gone.

How can the North trap them in the South? That's nonsense. The Others have access to the North from the North, whenever they wish it, now that the Wall is gone.

The same way Robb Stark had forces in the North, he took some of them South and then was trapped there. Any Other army that goes South, could be blocked in the Neck. Sure, they might still have some forces in the North, but that doesn't mean the troops from the South wouldn't be vulnerable. Until now, the Others have been extremely cautious, why would that change??? And for now, it's not cold enough .... not even the Riverlands are covered by a snow blanket. They need to bide their time for the weather to get worse... plenty of time to eliminate a First Men threat.

The same way Robb Stark had forces in the North, he took some of them South and then was trapped there. Any Other army that goes South, could be blocked in the Neck. Sure, they might still have some forces in the North, but that doesn't mean the troops from the South wouldn't be vulnerable. Until now, the Others have been extremely cautious, why would that change??? And for now, it's not cold enough .... not even the Riverlands are covered by a snow blanket. They need to bide their time for the weather to get worse... plenty of time to eliminate a First Men threat.

Let me repeat. The Others will attack the North and the South simultaneously. And by attack, I mean sending a few dozen Others through the Neck to start raising undead armies all over the place. They don't care if these undead armies get stuck south of Moat Cailin, because they can just send more Others from Otherland in the Far North, to deal with the North at their leisure.

The southern Others will be used to conquer the South, while the Others will deal with the North from the north. Undead armies won't be marching up and down the Causeway. Nor will undead armies be marching from the Riverlands to the West or to the Stormlands.

There is no need. Each region's own dead will be used to conquer it. If a region proves particularly difficult to conquer, THEN a mass of lumbering undead can be marched from one land to the next. But before that becomes necessary, they will just raise their armies right where they need them.

Let me repeat. The Others will attack the North and the South simultaneously. And by attack, I mean sending a few dozen Others through the Neck to start raising undead armies all over the place. They don't care if these undead armies get stuck south of Moat Cailin, because they can just send more Others from Otherland in the Far North, to deal with the North at their leisure.

The southern Others will be used to conquer the South, while the Others will deal with the North from the north. Undead armies won't be marching up and down the Causeway. Nor will undead armies be marching from the Riverlands to the West or to the Stormlands.

There is no need. Each region's own dead will be used to conquer it. If a region proves particularly difficult to conquer, THEN a mass of lumbering undead can be marched from one land to the next. But before that becomes necessary, they will just raise their armies right where they need them.

Are you serious? or being sarcastic?

Odds of an undead invasion of Westeros? Slim at best.

There is just not enough time to tell that story. The glacial pace of these novels will limit what can happen.

Are you serious? or being sarcastic?

Odds of an undead invasion of Westeros? Slim at best.

There is just not enough time to tell that story. The glacial pace of these novels will limit what can happen.

Are you serious? The undead invasion of Westeros is what the novels are about. The rest has just been filler and background to get to that point.

Are you serious? The undead invasion of Westeros is what the novels are about. The rest has just been filler and background to get to that point.

I disagree.

If you think several thousand pages are merely a setup for a zombie romp through Westeros, then i would reread the books and listen to GRRM.

First, the fantasy aspects of the story have always been downplayed in favor of the political and dynastic drama. There is no way the final battles are dragons vs undead like some bad D&D vs Walking Dead RPG.

Second, there is not enough time for an invasion and battle on the scale you are talking about.

Third, there are other story lines that will have nothing to do with, nor will they ever have anything to do with, the Others and the Wights. GRRM is not going to neatly bring together every PoV into the final battle as if everyone in the story's ultimate purpose was to do battle against the Others. This is how LotR ends, it will not be how ASoIaF ends.

This is all not to say there won't be major battles and that for some PoV characters The Others and the threat they present will be the climax.

To be clear: I'm disagreeing with you on the scale, that's all.

• 2 years later...

The Blue flower thing is interesting. Perhaps the Great other does sit the throne, and has to marry Margaery, just to keep up tradition, but freezes her, being so cold, hence the blue rose.

seems more likely than the sansa and aegon thing coming off to me anyway.

If the Great Other marry Margaery then he doomed himself.

Archived