McGuffin

JonathanTheBold

Interesting question. If I understand the trope correctly, the MacGuffin drives the plot through being desperately sought after / defended by both sides (for a living example, Helen of Troy seems a perfect fit). That applies to Ned from his imprisonment to his execution, and through the desire for revenge it also somehow applies to him a bit all the way until the Red Wedding. After that, new plot lines take over, for which he isn't a MacGuffin anymore, but simply dead history.

It seems that Tyrion plays a very similar role from his arrest to his reunion with Tywin.

If I understand the trope correctly, the MacGuffin drives the plot through being desperately sought after / defended by both sides (for a living example, Helen of Troy seems a perfect fit).

The critical element you forgot to include is that a MacGuffin is functionally worthless: it doesn't seem to actually do anything; it's only important because everyone wants it.

Therefore Ned doesn't qualify as a MacGuffin. He's important either because of who he is or what he knows. Martin has done a decent job of avoiding any real instances of a MacGuffin in the series (so far?), which is a good thing, as MacGuffins are typically nothing more than plot coupons to move the story forward.

Wouldn't the major McGuffin in the series be the Iron Throne?

I was just think that too but the north doesn't want the throne they wanted Ned/Revenge. Also what about Jon Arrny he has no direct impact on the story other than his death is the mystery that sends Ned on his journey but ultimately has no impact on the story later on

Wouldn't the major McGuffin in the series be the Iron Throne?

No, because people don't want the chair itself. No one is trying to steal the IT from KL in the dead of night and whisk it away to the Free Cities for their personal collection of valuable novelties.

People are fighting over the monarchy, and the power that comes with it. That's not a MacGuffin by any stretch of the imagination.

People don't have to want the McGuffin just for itself. When the KGB try to get a microfilm from James Bond it is not so they can stick it in their microfilm collection it is because it is useful to them but it is still the McGuffin. The fact that the Iron Throne is just a chair which can easily be replaced with another throne without changing it's part in the plot makes it more of a McGuffin not less.

When the KGB try to get a microfilm from James Bond it is not so they can stick it in their microfilm collection it is because it is useful to them but it is still the McGuffin.

What's on the microfilm?

That's the important question, because if the audience is aware of what the microfilm is going to be used for, then it isn't a MacGuffin.

If, on the other hand, we have no idea why the microfilm is important or what it's going to be used for, then it's a MacGuffin.

The Iron Throne is not important except in what it represents.

The fact that the Iron Throne is just a chair which can easily be replaced with another throne without changing it's part in the plot makes it more of a McGuffin not less.

Exactly the opposite, actually. The Iron Throne would be a MacGuffin if it was the throne itself that everyone was fighting over. Imagine if Stannis, Renly, Cersei, Euron, etc were all to say "I don't care who rules the 7 Kingdoms; but that big ugly chair is mine!!!"

That would make it a MacGuffin.

I am actually not familiar with this funny sounding term, McGuffin. But judging by your definition given to us, I'd say Ned isn't whereas Jon Arryn is. After Ned's death there are still some mysteries to be solved by the characters in which Ned has a direct role. Well mainly R+L=J.

I am actually not familiar with this funny sounding term, McGuffin. But judging by your definition given to us, I'd say Ned isn't whereas Jon Arryn is. After Ned's death there are still some mysteries to be solved by the characters in which Ned has a direct role. Well mainly R+L=J.

It's a term coined by Alfred Hitchcock and its a device used in to plot to propel the story but is insignificant to the story it's self other than being the thing sought after by the characters in the story and was considered unimportant by him.

Then there's the George Lukas school of thought which follows the same principle but he considers it to be the most important part of the story which explain the Star Wars prequels and the kingdom of the crystal skull

From my understanding, a McGuffin is usually a prop, not an active character, particularly a POV like Ned. Classical examples are the holy grail in several stories, excalibur, the one ring, etc.

In ASOIAF, as already mentioned, the Iron Throne is a major McGuffin, and I think the wall iself as well. Minor ones could be Robb Stark's crown, Ice (the valyrian sword), Needle, the dragon's eggs in aGOT, etc.

From my understanding, a McGuffin is usually a prop, not an active character, particularly a POV like Ned. Classical examples are the holy grail in several stories, excalibur, the one ring, etc.

In ASOIAF, as already mentioned, the Iron Throne is a major McGuffin, and I think the wall iself as well. Minor ones could be Robb Stark's crown, Ice (the valyrian sword), Needle, the dragon's eggs in aGOT, etc.

A McGuffin can be a person hell it can even be something abstract like an idea it doesn't always have to be an item

Archived