Plans for PC game?

Hello Everyone,

I have been reading (and enjoying) the forum for a little over a year now and I thought it was about time I post something. As a big fan of the books and board games in general, I have an interest in buying the game, but I don't know anyone else who is a fan of the books. So...I was wondering if anyone had heard if there might be a PC game in the works?

George has said he's been approached by game makers before, but nothing has really come out of it. A lot of them want to use the property on speculation that it'll turn a profit, and are unwilling or unable to lay out any money up front.

I would wank multiple times over either

1) A strategy Total War game crossed with the Family trees of Crusader kings

2) A role-playing game in the vein of the Elder Scrolls mixed with Thief. Set in and around King's Landing with a complex plot and hundreds of npcs, a completely open world (the streets, keeps, roof-tops, tunnels, surrounding woods and fields and villages) and a dozen or so factions with a whole variety of sub-plots and decisions to take.

Personally I'm hoping for an MMORPG, but something like The Elder Scrolls would be excellent. I haven't played Thief so I can't comment on that. I'm not so much into RTSs, but were an ASoIaF one to come out I would be among the first to preorder it. Come to think of it though an ASoIaF House based RTS sounds awesome. Finally, the Daynes get to conquer Westeros :)

I'm hoping for a higher-level strategy game, something along the lines of Civilization.

I agree. I would want to research wildfire, build Baelor's sept and Dornish spearmen, and conduct diplomatic marriages.

I want Oblivion crossed with Mount and Blade and Sid Meier's Pirates. Family trees sound fun too. Start out as a lowly sellsword or hedgeknight in pre-Targaryen Westeros, and over generations become one of the greatest lords of the Seven Kingdoms.

The way I'm thinking, it pretty much needs to either be a Medieval 2: Total War type of game, but with more indepth diplomatic options.

Or else, I think an RPG game along the lines of Neverwinter Nights would be good also.

However, if they did make a Medieval 2 type of game, they could have an expansion pack that takes place during Robert's Rebellion.

If I had a video game company I would create an rpg styled game that focuses heavily on cinematic combat.

My idea?

Create a character, the son of some little lord, a hedge knight or something, and start off on your own adventure through the living breathing world of Westeros. You should be able to go to any of the major Lords and offer up your services... As you do more and more missions etc for your great Lord, you could be rewarded with your own castle, men, money, prestige, etc. You could pick different classes and that would coincide with the sort of missions you get. Stealthy characters might have to infiltrate positions, gather/steal documents, players that show they have a way with words might be sent on negotiating/diplomatic missions, etc.

As you progress through the game the game world shifts and changes to take into account the events of all of the books. Eventually you'd have to choose which King to follow, and then you'd have a role to play in the war of 3 kings. Skirmishes could be played out in a turn based real time fashion, where you can enter an overhead map and order your troops around, into formations, etc, then exit out and get into the action yourself. Depending on which side you'd choose, where you go at different times in the storyline, etc you could make friend's with Robb or even Jon Snow, find yourself clashing swords with Jaime Lannister at Whispering wood, etc.

Also, major characters could have a friendship/respect rating toward you...so depending on your actions, your words, etc, different characters would view and indeed interact with you differently. The roleyplaying aspects would come into play in terms of what kind of character you wanted to build. If you wanted to be more diplomatic, have more options in dialogue, etc, then you could go that rout and become buds with Tyrion. Or you could concentrate solely on swordsmanship, making you more appealing to people like Jaime, Loras, etc. But that is just a wish. Eventually, as you progressed through the game to the eventual conclusion you would be at a high enough prestige to field your own sizeable army, have your own sizeable territory and castle, etc. If it came to more fighting you could order your armies (under different officers/commanders) to make for/sieze different strategic objectives, etc. Obviously, larger scale battles would likely be impossible to handle and at the same time allow you to fight in them...

So a medieval 2 total war like mini game would have to be included for the larger battles... As for the armies under your other officers, any battles they engage in on their way to their destinations/whatever could simply be automatically resolved based on a number of factors...different generals could also have/develop different perks. One may be excellent at surprise attacks/ambushes but may be ineffective at holding a field in an open battle. It would be your job to strike a balance among your generals and give them the right units with which they can do the most damage.

Also, not allowing you to control all your armies directly in battle would adding a sense of realism. You may score a victory on your front while one of your general's army is shattered and he is killed in the battle. You can't be everywhere in real life and that is something I think a game should echo...

Of course, all this is a fantasy. In all reality, the series is too massive to make a game of this scale out of it. However, something like the seven Kingdom's just before during and just after Robert's Rebellion would be interesting. Your actions might impact the overall outcome of the war, you could participate in historical engagements, and even more importantly, it would be a great oppurtunity to provide a decent amount of backstory about what exactly went down, in greater specifics, in Robert's Rebellion. And of course, no matter what, there would have to be a sort of "free" mode where you could import a character from a finished campaign, take him into westeros, and play from the begining...except now you would be a main player, you could be the one calling the shots, slowly gaining power until you rival the great Lords, using a combination of subtelty, diplomacy, and military might to expand in this free mode of sorts and become the King yourself... Or whatever. This of course, is just my fantasy game... so yea, a game like that would make me cry tears of joy.

Although I will say that if the HBO series is popular I wouldn't rule out a video game.

If I had a video game company I would create an rpg styled game that focuses heavily on cinematic combat.

My idea?

Create a character, the son of some little lord, a hedge knight or something, and start off on your own adventure through the living breathing world of Westeros. You should be able to go to any of the major Lords and offer up your services... As you do more and more missions etc for your great Lord, you could be rewarded with your own castle, men, money, prestige, etc. You could pick different classes and that would coincide with the sort of missions you get. Stealthy characters might have to infiltrate positions, gather/steal documents, players that show they have a way with words might be sent on negotiating/diplomatic missions, etc.

As you progress through the game the game world shifts and changes to take into account the events of all of the books. Eventually you'd have to choose which King to follow, and then you'd have a role to play in the war of 3 kings. Skirmishes could be played out in a turn based real time fashion, where you can enter an overhead map and order your troops around, into formations, etc, then exit out and get into the action yourself. Depending on which side you'd choose, where you go at different times in the storyline, etc you could make friend's with Robb or even Jon Snow, find yourself clashing swords with Jaime Lannister at Whispering wood, etc.

Also, major characters could have a friendship/respect rating toward you...so depending on your actions, your words, etc, different characters would view and indeed interact with you differently. The roleyplaying aspects would come into play in terms of what kind of character you wanted to build. If you wanted to be more diplomatic, have more options in dialogue, etc, then you could go that rout and become buds with Tyrion. Or you could concentrate solely on swordsmanship, making you more appealing to people like Jaime, Loras, etc. But that is just a wish. Eventually, as you progressed through the game to the eventual conclusion you would be at a high enough prestige to field your own sizeable army, have your own sizeable territory and castle, etc. If it came to more fighting you could order your armies (under different officers/commanders) to make for/sieze different strategic objectives, etc. Obviously, larger scale battles would likely be impossible to handle and at the same time allow you to fight in them...

So a medieval 2 total war like mini game would have to be included for the larger battles... As for the armies under your other officers, any battles they engage in on their way to their destinations/whatever could simply be automatically resolved based on a number of factors...different generals could also have/develop different perks. One may be excellent at surprise attacks/ambushes but may be ineffective at holding a field in an open battle. It would be your job to strike a balance among your generals and give them the right units with which they can do the most damage.

Also, not allowing you to control all your armies directly in battle would adding a sense of realism. You may score a victory on your front while one of your general's army is shattered and he is killed in the battle. You can't be everywhere in real life and that is something I think a game should echo...

Of course, all this is a fantasy. In all reality, the series is too massive to make a game of this scale out of it. However, something like the seven Kingdom's just before during and just after Robert's Rebellion would be interesting. Your actions might impact the overall outcome of the war, you could participate in historical engagements, and even more importantly, it would be a great oppurtunity to provide a decent amount of backstory about what exactly went down, in greater specifics, in Robert's Rebellion. And of course, no matter what, there would have to be a sort of "free" mode where you could import a character from a finished campaign, take him into westeros, and play from the begining...except now you would be a main player, you could be the one calling the shots, slowly gaining power until you rival the great Lords, using a combination of subtelty, diplomacy, and military might to expand in this free mode of sorts and become the King yourself... Or whatever. This of course, is just my fantasy game... so yea, a game like that would make me cry tears of joy.

Although I will say that if the HBO series is popular I wouldn't rule out a video game.

Allthough that is an awesome idea, it would be hugely expensive to design, im afraid if there is a soiaf game it will disappoint many people. These kind of book adapted games often do

If it was done with sprites it'd be a hell of a lot cheaper and look great 5 years down the road. Look at Everquest versus something like super Mario. Sprites hold up so much better than polygons.

I'd like to play something like that ancient Night Watch mod for NWN1 that I never got to work properly. Only, of course, without gender restrictions and Westerous-specific class-selection. A CRPG set in a part of Westerous, but not during the time of the novels, ie more of a Hedge Knight type of a separate story-line, where you can meet characters that are connected to the books, but not quite them. But, then again, BioWARE swears that ASOIF is the source of inspiration for writing in DA, and that's good enough for me. Hopefully it will be a great game, that will plays like reading Martin, without being Martin.

• 1 month later...

I think the easiest PC game would be a port of the board game to the computer. It wouldn't be very hard to do, could include ip gaming or a server list, and option for saving games. An improved, faster, and more friendly way of playing it vs PBEM. Perhaps a computer AI to play against although that would take more work and is of questionable value. It wouldn't be a bestseller but it would be a small profit from a small investment, or a very appreciated freeware work.

I think the easiest PC game would be a port of the board game to the computer. It wouldn't be very hard to do, could include ip gaming or a server list, and option for saving games. An improved, faster, and more friendly way of playing it vs PBEM. Perhaps a computer AI to play against although that would take more work and is of questionable value. It wouldn't be a bestseller but it would be a small profit from a small investment, or a very appreciated freeware work.

Yes! this exactly what i would want simple but very effective.

I would definitely buy a PC version of A Game of Thrones: The Board Game, anything that allows me to "live the Westerosi dream" a little more. A Medieval 2 version of the game would also suit the setting fine. A computer RPG set in Westeros? Yes please. To be short, any PC title that used the A Song of Ice and Fire setting would be an essential purchase for House Slynt.

Personally I envision an online battle game (you know, like Battlefield 2, Counter-strike, Shadowrun...) but as a grand tournament for the knights of Westeros, with rankings etc. Would be awesome. I can already hear my spiked mace crush through an opponent's wooden shield, his carefully (in-game) painted House insignia smashed into smithereens, the mace following through into his mouth, cracking open his jaw as his teeth fly past. And on the dais, sexy court ladies approve.

• 2 weeks later...
I would definitely buy a PC version of A Game of Thrones: The Board Game, anything that allows me to "live the Westerosi dream" a little more. A Medieval 2 version of the game would also suit the setting fine. A computer RPG set in Westeros? Yes please. To be short, any PC title that used the A Song of Ice and Fire setting would be an essential purchase for House Slynt.

Personally I envision an online battle game (you know, like Battlefield 2, Counter-strike, Shadowrun...) but as a grand tournament for the knights of Westeros, with rankings etc. Would be awesome. I can already hear my spiked mace crush through an opponent's wooden shield, his carefully (in-game) painted House insignia smashed into smithereens, the mace following through into his mouth, cracking open his jaw as his teeth fly past. And on the dais, sexy court ladies approve.

The only problem, of course, is getting combat down right. People have proven time and again that it is difficult to do swordfighting properly in game. Especially if we're talking multiplayer, because that means that combat needs to be quicker, and more brutal. No three minute duels lol...

• 5 weeks later...

Why not? whats wrong with probing the waters, testing your foe's strength, then laughing as a sword erupts from his belly as your friends cackle behind him. Or seeing a foe that has worn you down for 5 minutes be pin-cushioned with 30 arrows from rooftop snipers. :fence: :whip::box:

Archived