Winds of Winter Manuscript Length

Uxomi

Honestly, it doesn't change anything that much. 2014 was always the very (read 'too') optimistic guess. I would personally compare this confirmation to being told by your parents Santa doesn't exist. It's sad, but you already had it figured out.

Just to add a bit of optimism (speaking of the witch) to this somewhat grim thread, I'd like to point out that by 'a quarter done' GRRM probably is including only the parts of the MS that are 100% complete. So as far as I'm concerned, he could have around half the draft completed by now. After all, back in october 2012 he had 200 completed pages out of 400 written. The ratio stays the same. This might have been already said, sorry if it was, but I thought it would be worth pointing out.

Just to add a bit of optimism (speaking of the witch) to this somewhat grim thread, I'd like to point out that by 'a quarter done' GRRM probably is including only the parts of the MS that are 100% complete. So as far as I'm concerned, he could have around half the draft completed by now. After all, back in october 2012 he had 200 completed pages out of 400 written. The ratio stays the same. This might have been already said, sorry if it was, but I thought it would be worth pointing out.

It's not the 2014 thing that concerns me. Her statement threatens a 2015 release date in my mind too. Maybe it's just the way she said it as if to imply "he's nowhere even close". I doubt he's even halfway done, frankly.

But I ws admittedly being opimistic about 2015 before. I don't want the show to spoil the books for me, as I regard the show as very much inferior to the books. I don't know if "ruin" is the right word, but it's certainly not going to be as fun for me to experience the not same level of fun or excitement with the next or final book. A lot of the fun is in the textual hints and buildups and that will effectively be gone.

But every little statement only solidifies that inevitability.

Archived