Arya's aim

Once

In the books Arya shoots stuff. She hits Sansa with a fruit, and also Gendry when he interferes on her scene with Edric Dayne. She is not goot at archery in the books, but she is in the TV series. I'm perfectly aware that the books and the TV series are two different universes, so when I saw Arya's estabilishing moment in the TV series, I thought they used just for that, estabilishin Arya's character. But they brought it back in Season 3, as if to remind the viewer Arya has a good aim. On a reread, I thought her scence with Gendry was to remind the reader she has a good aim, so the books and Tv Series, while use different methods, remind the readers/viewers of this trait.

My question is, why are both GRRM and thr TV Series building this characteristic of Arya? What can she use her aim for?

PS: For fun http://imgur.com/gallery/IyHDk

It's cannon that she wanted to learn archery but in the show they make her be good at it since Season 1. It further links her to Artemis and past Targaryens such as Daena and Alysanne.

There was a theory that she was going to kill a dragon because of the Brandon Snow weirwood arrows thing and the fact that GRRM said that there hasn't yet been a contract on the dragons. I think Jaqen is more likely for that and I could see her using her poison lessons before I could see her doing that. Sarella might shoot one in the eye though since she has good aim.

I'm not sure if GRRM will make her good at archery in the books but the show does seem to play that up. It could be symbolic of her arc dealing with the hunter vs. the hunted.

Well, I think in the books Arya would be good at it, had she been inclined to try. The Faceless Men may yet continue her training at all sorts of fighting and weapons. They do not want her to emphasize overt fighting, because they are covert killers, but there is no reason why an operative would not be improved by being well-trained in how to kill with any weapon, or even their bare hands.

If they use poison darts then I could see why they would want her to work on her aim. Although she may have to go up to her target and take the dart out because having it there lets people know there was a murder and the FM don't want that.

If they use poison darts then I could see why they would want her to work on her aim. Although she may have to go up to her target and take the dart out because having it there lets people know there was a murder and the FM don't want that.

Didn't Jaqen use this on Armory Loch in the TV Series? Does that mean it's acceptable in extreme situations? I mean it was an emergency for Arya. On the other hand, the scene wasn't in the books, Jaqen's second kill was Weese and he used basilik blood in his food, explained to Arya in Braavos while training to be No One.

Thanks for all your replies

They show needed to flesh out Arya in a very short amount of time in the first episode where a lot had to be exposed to the audience. Shooting better than Bran was one of the fastest and most effective way to show it.

They show needed to flesh out Arya in a very short amount of time in the first episode where a lot had to be exposed to the audience. Shooting better than Bran was one of the fastest and most effective way to show it.

But why bring it back in the third season? I thought of that too. It's not about archery as much as it is about Arya's aim in general. Both universes aknowledge it but none has fleshed it out (yet?). I know Tyrion shows acrobatic skills in Jon's first POV, but it's never mentioned again, I accept it as GRRM changed his mind, and made him a more believable person. But he brings Arya's aim in later books. Why introduce a skill like this and never use it?

@King Joffrey's Revenge: Really? I thought Weese ate something the dog wanted so much it tore his throat. As soon as I get the books back, I'm gonna reread that.

But why bring it back in the third season? I thought of that too. It's not about archery as much as it is about Arya's aim in general. Both universes aknowledge it but none has fleshed it out (yet?). I know Tyrion shows acrobatic skills in Jon's first POV, but it's never mentioned again, I accept it as GRRM changed his mind, and made him a more believable person. But he brings Arya's aim in later books. Why introduce a skill like this and never use it?

@King Joffrey's Revenge: Really? I thought Weese ate something the dog wanted so much it tore his throat. As soon as I get the books back, I'm gonna reread that.

Tyrion tumbles on the ship for the crew headed to Meereen in Dance and he talks about walking on his hands down the high table at Casterly Rock and his dad getting mad so that's in there more than just in the first Jon chapter of AGoT.

As to Arya, I can see her acquiring a lot of new combat skills with the Faceless Men, but I don't really see how her "aim" will greatly affect the story in any way.

I love this, only the book "is canon", right :lol:

To clarify, Arya isn't good at archery in the show, Anguy tells her as much.

Anguy said that she's not as good as she thinks she is. In context I took that to mean that he was saying that she's a little girl and they're grown men. She thinks she can fight them but she can't. They could kill her easily.

Archived