Attack on Titan by Hajime Isayama (Japanese comic)

gedo

"Attack on Titan" is a very successful Japanese comic book (and now adopted to Anime). I think it has quite few things common with aSoIaF.

It's a dark and twisted fantasy (SciFi?) that often does not follow typical heroic story clichés. There are the great walls that held off mysterious enemy called Titans for 100 years. There is a military group like the NW that guards the wall and explore outside the wall. Ill not spoil further, but there are many more similarities I can list.

One difference is that one of the walls was breached already in the very beginning, while we seem to expect that to happen in the next book of aSoIaF for last 10 years.

Have anyone here read the comic?

read the English scanlations of it and loved it. Want to buy a few of them someday. haven't seen the anime but it's on my list.

One other difference I noticed is that you get a clear cut 3 main characters fairly early on. But it really is the asoiaf of anime and manga.

Side characters are very well done and get very good back story and depth.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about halfway through the anime. It started off really strong, with a really interesting concept and some really good, shocking, twisty moments.

I really thought they had killed off Eren and thought that was a really, really bold move. They build him up as the main character and then he gets eaten! What they did with him was still interesting and one the one hand, I was relieved that he wasn't dead, but on the other hand, I'm still a little disappointed that they didn't stick with the death and transition the story to another main character.

Then it kind of started feeling more like a standard anime, with some scenes and plots that weren't quite up to the quality of the beginning. Still good and I'm excited to see where it ends up, though.

I'll have to read the manga next!

I really loved the anime and am caught up on the manga now but a small problem with the manga for me is that it's poorly drawn.

The anime looks so awesome and the fights are perfectly animated but the drawing isn't very top notch. What is bothering me even more is that they release a chapter only once a month and if every second chapter ends with a cliffhanger the wait is cruel.

• 1 month later...

Archived