Fantasy books or series with the best prose?

Shinrei

Ursula Le Guinn with The Earthsea series.

The island of Gont, a single mountain that lifts its peak a mile above the storm-racked Northeast Sea, is a land famous for wizards. From the towns in its high valleys and the ports on its dark narrow bays many a Gontishman has gone forth to serve the Lords of the Archipelago in their cities as wizard or mage, or looking for adventure, to wander working magic from isle to isle of all Earthsea.

My mom is a big fan of Wizard of Earthsea and she's not really into fantasy (or reading in general). So far, it's the only "famous" LeGuin novel I haven't read. I've read Lathe of Heaven, Left Hand of Darkness, and The Dispossessed, but none of the Earthsea novels. I need to get started on that ASAP.

• 2 weeks later...

Robin Hobb.

Yep! I think I've fallen in love with her books. Although I have to admit, apart from Tolkein back in the 70s (3 months of my life I will never get back), I hadn't read any Fantasy until I read George a couple of years ago. From him I went on to Robin Hobb. I don't know if it's a woman thing, but I actually prefer her to George (sacrilege, I know).

Archived