Is Arya a realistic character?

Tessarion

First of all, I don't see Arya fulfilling any of her revenge wishes, and she would have to mount a big dragon and be a one-girl army to kill all Freys, Lannisters & Boltons. That's just crackpot.

It's a minority opinion of the fandom who thinks that revenge is going to take a backseat in her story. Most think that her FM story arc will be finished and she only use what she learned to kill Stark enemies.

Most kills have motives, and some have really really good ones. The only morally questionable ones I see are the 2 in Braavos (even if she had sensible reasons).

The first morally questionable one was the Bolton guard which is as early as book 2. It was calculated. He did not do anything to her. She didn't know anything about him as a person. Her friends were horrified at her actions and Hot Pie was afraid of her. Yes, she had a reason to want to kill him-he was an obstacle to her goal of escaping but having a motive doesn't make the act not morally questionable. This is the first time where she's acted on the feelings of killing someone for being in the way of something she wants.

You say it was due to circumstances she didn't act on her thoughts to kill: I say it was due to circumstances she even thinks about it. I don't really see the validity of holding Arya responsible for senseless killings she doesn't actually commit. It's not like the KM or any one else tackled her to the ground just before she plunged neddle into someone. And if she really had as strong of a desire to kill as you suggest, then she would have gladly put Sandor out of his misery.

No one is saying that she is a mass murderer who is out of control but that she is someone who has had to be stopped from killing more and that she does have desires to kill a large amount of people over the span of the series because she wants them dead and not all of them are for justifiable reasons.

As far as she knew Sandor was dying anyways. She had no way of knowing that he would survive and not have a slow painful death. She did regret not putting a knife in his heart in AFFC.

I think that too little is made of the actual training she recieved from the First Sword of Braavos. This was a person of very advanced skill and ability, a few weeks of training with him goes a long ways. We need to keep in mind that this is a small child and even with a bit of skill is going to have little chance against a fully armored knight or swordsman. However, a strong foundation in the Waterdance has been imparted.

She is smart, agile, has warg abilities and her FM training continues. By the time we reach the last book in the series, she will be a force to be reckoned with.

She's a lot less badass and a lot more vulnerable than most Arya fangirls/fanboys make her out to be. Truth be told, I don't think any of the characters are "realistic" per se, raw in aspects of emotions yes, but not as a full package when you transfer them to the real world.

She reminds me of a young Carrie Mathison from Homeland, crazy and obsessive in her anger and motivations. I think it's very internalized as well, as opposed to the BAMF everyone pictures her to be

Carrie was mentally unstable. She repeatedly would screw up missions and she was willing to risk everything for a man who was a traitor to her people. I don't think they are alike.

In personality, you'd be crazy to think Arya isn't consumed by an obsessive revenge like Carrie. I think she's internally batshit crazy, she'd have to be. You can't compare CIA missions to Westeros :P

In personality, you'd be crazy to think Arya isn't consumed by an obsessive revenge like Carrie. I think she's internally batshit crazy, she'd have to be. You can't compare CIA missions to Westeros :P

Arya has focus on revenge but not to the point where she loses sense of reality and she can barely function or focus. Carrie was one track minded and was crying and screaming at inappropriate times and got herself hospitalized. Carrie would never align herself with the FM because they couldn't get her revenge. Carrie was also concerned more about her love life/being with a married man who had already betrayed her once than the safety of her country. Even revenge took a backseat to that. In the end her biggest concern was not revenge but Brody. This is very unlike Arya.

And yet, Arya is still a child for all that.

AFAIK, there are no such 10 year old girls in our world which is why she seems unrealistic. That doesn't make her any less fun character though.

I'm not an expert on this but I know there is a enormous gender difference when it comes to juvenile homicide offenders IRL. No one truly knows why this is (there are many theories) but young girls very rarely kill by themselves; and even if they do, their victims are usually family members or children of the same or younger age. For a girl of Arya's age to commit murder such as Harrenhall guard killing for example is practically unheard of IRL.

Arya has focus on revenge but not to the point where she loses sense of reality and she can barely function or focus. Carrie was one track minded and was crying and screaming at inappropriate times and got herself hospitalized. Carrie would never align herself with the FM because they couldn't get her revenge. Carrie was also concerned more about her love life/being with a married man who had already betrayed her once than the safety of her country. Even revenge took a backseat to that. In the end her biggest concern was not revenge but Brody. This is very unlike Arya.

She joined FM for the purpose of one day getting revenge -- that is her ultimate goal and she focuses solely because of that drive. She is consumed by it, and her soft spot for justice in Westeros is well displayed in how she killed Dareon out of misplaced anger. So yeah, she is extremely one track minded.

Again, I have said before, Arya's mental turmoils are very internalized, which is where her and Carrie differ. Do hospitals have any relevance in Westeros? And Carrie does make the ultimate sacrifice for her country, getting Brody in to Iran and literally pushing him into the operation.

I agree largely with others have said. Arya's emotional responses and personality aren't unrealistic. In fact, it's not even that extraordinarily remarkable as children have been noted to be survivors by nature, much better than adults even, and will adapt to even the most grim circumstances to survive and it's easier for them because they're so young and can easily rewire their selves on a subconscious level to best survive their ordeal. Arya is just one example of a kid doing what they have to do to try and survive (other example can be found in media like Carl from the Walking Dead, and real life examples can be found in kids in third world countries or kids in abusive households).

Her story line does have a lot to do with dumb luck in most situations, but really, most main POV characters in the story have a lot of dumb luck if they're younger than 20 it seems. Especially the Stark kids, and another example is Tyrion with all his miraculous near-death experiences. But dumb luck really doesn't diminish Arya--I have a ridiculous amount of dumb luck myself but I see it more as a blessing than anything--and we should all just be thankful that she has it in the first place, otherwise by now she would be dead in a ditch, imprisoned, or worse.

All in all, Arya isn't all that unrealistic.

I agree largely with others have said. Arya's emotional responses and personality aren't unrealistic. In fact, it's not even that extraordinarily remarkable as children have been noted to be survivors by nature, much better than adults even, and will adapt to even the most grim circumstances to survive and it's easier for them because they're so young and can easily rewire their selves on a subconscious level to best survive their ordeal. Arya is just one example of a kid doing what they have to do to try and survive (other example can be found in media like Carl from the Walking Dead, and real life examples can be found in kids in third world countries or kids in abusive households).

Her story line does have a lot to do with dumb luck in most situations, but really, most main POV characters in the story have a lot of dumb luck if they're younger than 20 it seems. Especially the Stark kids, and another example is Tyrion with all his miraculous near-death experiences. But dumb luck really doesn't diminish Arya--I have a ridiculous amount of dumb luck myself but I see it more as a blessing than anything--and we should all just be thankful that she has it in the first place, otherwise by now she would be dead in a ditch, imprisoned, or worse.

All in all, Arya isn't all that unrealistic.

Where is the like button when you need it.

She joined FM for the purpose of one day getting revenge -- that is her ultimate goal and she focuses solely because of that drive. She is consumed by it, and her soft spot for justice in Westeros is well displayed in how she killed Dareon out of misplaced anger. So yeah, she is extremely one track minded.

No she didn't. She went to the FM because she had no where else to go and she didn't want to be powerless anymore. Revenge and the FM are incompatible. The KM has told her this several times. She will never get close to those she hates through the FM.

Dareon was not justice. It was murder.

Again, I have said before, Arya's mental turmoils are very internalized, which is where her and Carrie differ. Do hospitals have any relevance in Westeros? And Carrie does make the ultimate sacrifice for her country, getting Brody in to Iran and literally pushing him into the operation.

Carrie didn't want Brody there and tried to get Brody out of there even if it meant not getting rid of an enemy. She did not want Brody to die and she thinks that terrorist is on par with real heroes. A terrorist was more important to her than America.

Anyways, Arya is not unstable like Carrie. Carrie at least is bipolar.

It's a minority opinion of the fandom who thinks that revenge is going to take a backseat in her story. Most think that her FM story arc will be finished and she only use what she learned to kill Stark enemies.

I also believe her FM story arc will be finished & she will aide (somehow) in regaining Stark power. I just don't see revenge being her motive. Her nightly prayer is coping skill, simple as that. If it were more then she would have been pleased to cross Sandor off the list by her own hand.

The first morally questionable one was the Bolton guard which is as early as book 2. It was calculated. He did not do anything to her. She didn't know anything about him as a person. Her friends were horrified at her actions and Hot Pie was afraid of her. Yes, she had a reason to want to kill him-he was an obstacle to her goal of escaping but having a motive doesn't make the act not morally questionable. This is the first time where she's acted on the feelings of killing someone for being in the way of something she wants.

I strongly disagree with this. She didn't want a slice of Lemon cake here. She asked Bolton to take her with him because The Bloody Mummers were taking over the castle. He refused. It is reasonable for Arya to believe their lives would be in danger if they didn't escape. We saw how Pretty Pia ended up didn't we? There was no way she could have overpowered the guard enough to get him out of the way w/o killing him. Therefore, that was an act self protection & protection of Gendry & Hot Pie. Her motive was escaping almost certain death. That's an arguable defense for killing a man in 2014.

No one is saying that she is a mass murderer who is out of control but that she is someone who has had to be stopped from killing more and that she does have desires to kill a large amount of people over the span of the series because she wants them dead and not all of them are for justifiable reasons.

I simply don't see any valid reason to claim she is someone who has to be stopped from a fulfilling a desire to kill a large amount of people.

No she didn't. She went to the FM because she had no where else to go and she didn't want to be powerless anymore. Revenge and the FM are incompatible. The KM has told her this several times. She will never get close to those she hates through the FM.

Carrie didn't want Brody there and tried to get Brody out of there even if it meant not getting rid of an enemy. She did not want Brody to die and she thinks that terrorist is on par with real heroes. A terrorist was more important to her than America.

Dareon was justice in her mind, whatever else it might be outside of her perspective. You really don't think she's going to leave the FM so she can put the skills to use for what she actually wants? Yes, getting trained means she is "no one" as she is getting trained. But she won't stay that way, I think you agree with me there, reading your first post in the page.

Except you're painting a show that was as multifaceted in their characters as "terrorist" on one side and "America" on the other. Arya also had a soft spot for the Hound at a time (a man she has very good reason to hate), until revenge and the anger took hold of her again.

Revenge and the FM are incompatible. The KM has told her this several times. She will never get close to those she hates through the FM.

Not necessarily. Of course, they don't want her going on a revenge killing spree but Arya isn't one who's been known to follow the rules.

Agreed on Dareon.

I strongly disagree with this. She didn't want a slice of Lemon cake here. She asked Bolton to take her with him because The Bloody Mummers were taking over the castle. He refused. It is reasonable for Arya to believe their lives would be in danger if they didn't escape. We saw how Pretty Pia ended up didn't we? There was no way she could have overpowered the guard enough to get him out of the way w/o killing him. Therefore, that was an act self protection & protection of Gendry & Hot Pie. Her motive was escaping almost certain death. That's an arguable defense for killing a man in 2014.

That still isn't self defense. He did not do anything to her. Just because someone has a motive that doesn't mean they are not guilty. Her reaction to it was also very cold. The rain will just wash the blood off and it doesn't matter.

I simply don't see any valid reason to claim she is someone who has to be stopped from a fulfilling a desire to kill a large amount of people.

I said she is someone who has to be stopped from killing people and I was talking about the guards. She also had to be disciplined on Dareon but she ignored the KM's lesson. She didn't care. She is also someone who has to be taught to let go of revenge. She still has not done this.

Dareon was justice in her mind, whatever else it might be outside of her perspective. You really don't think she's going to leave the FM so she can put the skills to use for what she actually wants? Yes, getting trained means she is "no one" as she is getting trained. But she won't stay that way, I think you agree with me there, reading your first post in the page.

Except you're painting a show that was as multifaceted in their characters as "terrorist" on one side and "America" on the other. Arya also had a soft spot for the Hound at a time (a man she has very good reason to hate), until revenge and the anger took hold of her again.

No it wasn't. The KM told her she wasn't justified and she said she didn't care. She did not like him and she was mad that he couldn't take her to the Wall. She did not have the authority to do it but didn't care. That's why it's murder not justice.

Point blank at the end of the day that's what Brody was. Carrie was the only one in his corner in the end. Carrie cared more about clearing his name than finding out who was behind the attacks. She only wanted to prove that Brody wasn't responsible so that's another example of revenge taking a backseat. Really the whole 3 seasons is about her Brody obsession with a mix Nazir. She just changes from trying to get Brody on charges to trying to get with him and save him. She's entirely delusional. Arya is not unstable like this and she cares more about the North. That's like her falling for one of the Lannisters and being like I don't care what they did to the Starks. Absolutely not.

This will sound a bit touched, but this kill on paper looks morally questionable. However if you read that chapter again she first has the scene with the godswife who says she is going to be raped and killed once Tywin comes back., you will also notice that Roose is actively betraying Robb ATM and killing wolves, and the Freys are all afraid of Tywin coming. She asks to go with Roose but he says she will stay with Vargo. then they get the Letter from Lord Walder about the betrayal. Now at this moment she goes to the Godswood and asks what she should do, she hears what she thinks is her father talking about the lone wolf dies and the pack survives. Then she hears Nymeria calling to her.

Her spirit bond with Nymeria is at its strongest right now because her pack is just outside the castle. The wolfsblood is in her and she even says she is a dire wolf. She was in a bad situation with most of the castle thinking about doing Robb harm even though she does not truly know it. Nymeria senses this though and calls to Arya. She gets up right then and begins her preparations, When she see the guard she has to adjust her plan, because he is a Flayed Man. She felt she could have tricked anyone but a Dreadfort man. Then she does the deed and Nymeria howls.

In the next Arya POV, Nymeria and her pack save her from her pursuers.

It is pretty powerful stuff here, but unlike Robb in a few more chapters, she listens to her wolf and lives. Nymeria knew she was in grave danger and Nymeria wills Arya out of that castle by any means necessary. IMHO

So what exactly do you think was going to happen to Dareon if another member of the NW found him?

Or any Northern Lord or Lady?

Another member did find him -- Sam.

As for Northern Lords or Ladies, absolutely nothing, as long as they were in Braavos.

Archived