Long Term Travel on a Budget

Relic

Right on, man! Keep up the good work. Maybe one day I'll run into you again somewhere out there. :cheers:

i hope so man. Fondly recall the good times we had in Indonesia.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you decided where you will be going while in Europe? If you guys hit eastern Europe at all this round I'd be especially interested in reading some budgeting tips. I'm in the planning stages of something epic.

Just posted our Paris on a Budget article, have a few more things Paris coming up soon!

http://www.justapack.com/cost_of_backpacking_paris.html

John, will probably hit up Croatia, Prague, maybe Poland, and Germany. Might end up going to Finland as well, plans aren't very solid yet but it wouldn't be till september. Spending all of august in Tuscany. If we do spend any significant time in eastern europe we'll def do some articles on the places we go. What are you planning? When do you want to hit the road?

Yea, actually it was seeing the justapack Paris on a budget article on FB that made me come in here and post hoping you were planning to do some in Eastern Europe too.

One of my best friends and I are planning a motorcycle trip. We want to rent motorcycles in Germany and then do a loop from Munich to Prague and then down to Istanbul, Turkey. On the way back we'll cross northern Greece, come up the Adriatic coast, go into Northern Italy and go through the Alps returning to Munich. It will be a minimum of 21 days, and maybe a bit longer if we can both get the time off. The whole loop should take 11 five-hour days of riding, leaving us with 10 or more non-riding days for sight-seeing, side trips, or pub visits. That is the plan anyway. We are hoping to do it late next summer or fall, anywhere from 12-16 months from now. I'm starting the process of trying to sock away a couple hundred bucks/ month between then and now to pay for it.

That sounds like an awesome excursion! I'll probably be in a few of those places and will make sure to keep an eye out of budget options, even if we dont do a full article on them. How much are you trying to save up before you go?

That sounds like an awesome excursion! I'll probably be in a few of those places and will make sure to keep an eye out of budget options, even if we dont do a full article on them. How much are you trying to save up before you go?

I don't know, I think a conservative estimate is going to be something like 4 grand when you include airfare, cost of renting the bikes, gas, food, and lodging. The bikes are the most expensive part, even more than the plane ticket, but my friend and I have both agreed that its a worthwhile way to see any part of the world. The trip idea basically started as - 'lets do a long motorcycle road trip' and we built the rest around that. Might even look into borrowing a GoPro from someone for some of the cooler stretches along the way.

Anyway, I need to save a few hundred bucks a month between then and now to make it happen and that is hard to do. I think the biggest place for us to spare our budget would be in food and lodging since we can't really get around needing a round trip ticket to Germany or spending money on renting our mode of transportation for the month. I don't really give a crap where we stay and something like couch surfing might even add to the experience, but I have not tried it before. I was considering opening an account and maybe hosting some people in Austin between then and now to get some positive ratings.

John, definitely get your couch surfing up. Try to host people from Europe who also have hosting profiles. We are staying in a dope crib for two weeks in Barcelona thanks to Randi's couch surfing hosting in nyc. Which city are you flying into? Depending on where you enter your ticket prices can vary by a fair amount. FranceXL has some great deals on flights. We flew from NYC to Paris for like 300 one way.

Do you have a bank aaccount that refunds you at fees? If not try to open one. TD bank offers them, for instance, if you keep a min balance of 20. Carrying tons of cash on you in a bad idea and the fees add up, as you know.

Wow, the website looks incredible! So much better. Nicely done!

thanks! hope you aren't just blowing smoke up my ass tho AG. =P Glad you like it,

I'm very very open to criticism, and this place is usually full of it. I know literally nothing about web design (thank god for noob friendly web builders). Flying by the seat of our pants here.

• 3 weeks later...

We have a Barcelona photo gallery up and will have budget travel articles for Barcelona finished this week. Currently in southern Spain and loving it. Next stop is Sevilla (which is where parts of Dorne will be filmed for that show that so many of you love).

http://www.justapack.com/barcelona-photo-gallery.html

Some cool Shit to do in paris when you don't have all that much money:

http://www.justapack.com/paris.html

This is a good list, but I'd just like to add that there are a lot of free museums in Paris.

Yes the Louvre is relatively cheap compared to the quantity of things you can see there but there is literally a couple dozen very interesting museums that are entirely free and a lot of museums are free every 1st sunday of the month.

Just thought it was worth mentioning.

This is a good list, but I'd just like to add that there are a lot of free museums in Paris.

Yes the Louvre is relatively cheap compared to the quantity of things you can see there but there is literally a couple dozen very interesting museums that are entirely free and a lot of museums are free every 1st sunday of the month.

Just thought it was worth mentioning.

awesome, thank you! definitely worth mentioning and ill update the article soon to include that. much obliged.

Archived