The Vanishing Guardsmen in the Red Keep

Tyrus Martell

Varys would not need to lurk about in these tunnels for so long. We already knw that he can enter and leave the Red Keep via these tunnels as and when he pleases.

Yeah, he's probably chillin' in Pentos when he doesn't have Lannisters to kill/spy on/drive insane with paranoia.

Yeah, he's probably chillin' in Pentos when he doesn't have Lannisters to kill/spy on/drive insane with paranoia.

Would it be easy and timely for Varys to travel between Pentos and King's Landing undetected while all the political shit which went down in AFFC was happening?

There seems to be a somewhat open system of tunnels connected to the sewer system, and also secret tunnels accessed by cleverly hidden and activated doors. Arya was able to escape the Red Keep without finding any secret doors; she simply left the dragon skull storeroom and found herself in a tunnel that led outside. Varys and Illyrio, however, use a secret tunnel that closed behind them so completely as to be undetectable.

My assumption is that the two unfortunate guardsmen stumbled upon a secret door, accidentally activated it, entered the secret tunnel, and foolishly let the door close behind them. They were then unable to open the door again, and were cut off from the rest of the tunnel system. Oopsie.

Varys was a mummer, and very adept at using disguises. We're even given a couple of examples of him changing his voice a bit when it suits him. The vanishing guardsmen could have stumbled upon his hiding place, forcing him to dispatch them quickly. Then after that, he might have heard the searchers so he just imitated their voices a bit to make the searchers think they were still alive while he dragged the bodies off into another passage.

I forgot about this. If it wasn't Varys it's pretty creepy that two guys just straight up disappeared under the castle.

If it was just caving and Cersei and Jaime just let them to their fate, it's fairly cruel - even for them. And surely in her paranoid state, it was a mistake of Cersei to just let this thought float away - especially when she and everyone else in court still don't know where Varys is (the only man who really knows the Red Keeps' secret passages inside and out).

I suppose so. Still, the search in my opinion shouldn't have been halted, or they should have persisted in discovering how the Master of Whisperers was able to so effectively learn all of the Red Keep's intricacies. Varys had to learn of the Red Keep's secret passages somehow - he is an Essosi after-all.

• 2 weeks later...

If it wasn't Varys it's pretty creepy that two guys just straight up disappeared under the castle.

I think that's the whole idea tbh. I.e. it's supposed to be creepy that the place is so vast and mysterious that people can literally disappear without a trace!

Archived