Does the Kindly Man Know Arya is Warging?

John Suburbs

I think the more we learn about the FM the less they seem like all knowing magic men. I mean, there is some magic involved, given all the literal face changing and what not, but these tricks can be learned.

I don't think Arya will ever actually become No One, but she will learned to lie well enough. If I'd have to guess I'd say they're all faking it. I mean, is it even possible to shed your identity? Anyone with a strong enough character to get through the training would have too, well, strong a character to do that.

I think the more we learn about the FM the less they seem like all knowing magic men. I mean, there is some magic involved, given all the literal face changing and what not, but these tricks can be learned.

I don't think Arya will ever actually become No One, but she will learned to lie well enough. If I'd have to guess I'd say they're all faking it. I mean, is it even possible to shed your identity? Anyone with a strong enough character to get through the training would have too, well, strong a character to do that.

We see that Jaqen remembers his dead father so clearly FM's dont entirely lose their identity. It may be that it's only necessary to be able to temporarily create an internal void so that an FM-in-training can answer the question "Who are you?" with an undetectable lie. If you can successfully lie in response to the most elemental question there is, then you can lie about anything.

He also knew she was lying about her name when she first walked into the house of black and white. I suppose he can read minds but this is too fantastic a skill for just one order.

The KM was probably using body language and voice stress analysis techniques to determine Arya was lying.

We see that Jaqen remembers his dead father so clearly FM's dont entirely lose their identity. It may be that it's only necessary to be able to temporarily create an internal void so that an FM-in-training can answer the question "Who are you?" with an undetectable lie. If you can successfully lie in response to the most elemental question there is, then you can lie about anything.

The KM was probably using body language and voice stress analysis techniques to determine Arya was lying.

Just out of interest, could someone provide a quote on this (Jaqen reminiscing about his dead father). It must have flown over my head on the first couple of rereads.

Jaqen H’ghar inclined his head. “A man has said.”

“Anyone?” she repeated. “A man, a woman, a little baby, or Lord Tywin, or the High Septon, or your father?”

“A man’s sire is long dead, but did he live, and did you know his name, he would die at your command.”

I tend to think that the KM knows that she's warging. I think actually him taking her eyes was his way of speeding up that particular skill.

Warging is speeds up when there has been some trauma. Bran after his fall. Jon and his trip beyond the wall and betraying his vows(more of mental trauma than physical).

Yeah taking her eyes serves as speeding up her training. Being able to use her other senses.

The Starks are an old house. Some of the Stark Men have been known to travel to Essos. Beron the wondering Wolf actually joined the Second Sons. Also in a world were magic runs wild, I'm sure there have been stories told about the wild north and it's lords that have direwolves running at their heels. So when Arya shows up at the house of black and white. Lying about her name and then he finds out that she's a Stark...Well he might have taken her eyes as a test. To see if she did have the warging gene. She growles and howls at night that have been heard all over the palace. So its not a stretch for the KM to want to test her.

Archived