Littlefinger in aGoT

Fightbringer

Something which has got me thinking is that, given that it turned out to be Lysa and LF who killed Jon Arryn, not the lannisters, how can we explain a lot of Littlefingers action in the first book. Its obvious that his plan, after killing Jon Arryn and then getting Lysa to write to Catelyn say it was the Lannisters, was to generally increased the amount of chaos and put the realm on the path to war to create circumstances where he could gain more power, mainly through antagonising the Starks against the Lannisters.

When you think through his activities in aGoT with this in mind, a number of questions come to mind, namely

- Did he have anything to do with what happened to Ser Hugh of the Vale? Seems incredibly coincidental that someone so close to Jon Arryn happens to be fighting in a tournament at that time, and happens to get drawn against the mountain, who happens to be both the knight most likely to kill another knight in the tourney, and a man who is renowned for doing dirty jobs for the Lannisters. Makes me wonder if LF played any role in the draw, or bribed the Mountain to kill Ser Hugh in order to make Ned suspect the Lannisters further.

- Did he know Jaime intended to attack Ned beforehand, and so deliberately made sure Ned came with him to the brothel?

- Was he just incredibly lucky? As well as the possible coincidence of these last two things, there was also the entire bran being pushed out the window and then almost assassinated. A lot of it seems very convenient.

- To what extent did he actually plan to betray Ned? Obviously he is partly deceiving Ned by making him believe the Lannisters killed Jon Arryn, but he still helps him find out about the twincest, obviously this was for his own gain, but would he have prefered to be on the same side as Ned, since he tried to warn him against siding with stannis (who would probably not be good for his ambitions) and keeping Joffrey on the throne. Was he just making this proposal in order to elevate himself to share power with Ned, something he would never get by siding with the Lannisters

Sorry if I went on a bit, what do people think?

Getting rid of Ned also opened LF's path to Sansa, whom it seems he'd already substituted in his obsession with Cat.

Ser Hugh's death was probably coincidence but Jaime's attack seemed too coincidental not to have been plotted in advance.

Ooh did we ever get any solid answers about Ser Hugh? Sandor's comments made me think that it was definitely an intentional kill by Gregor. I could definitely imagine him killing someone in a tourney just for lolz, but it's just a little too convenient that the victim was so important to the story. Since the Lannisters only had a little bit of a hand in Jon Arryn's death, Littlefinger seems a much more likely culprit now.

I dont think LF had anything to do with the attempt on Bran's life. He was in KL and throwing Bran out of the window was no plan either. It just happened. So yes, LF was lucky.

Additionally, he was lucky with his opponent Varys who also wanted a war, although Varys tried to delay it by convincing Ned to take the black in the end, but LF has won this plot by making Joffrey kill Ned.

Archived