How do you rate Jorah as a fighter?

I think he's pretty underrated by a lot of folks on the boards. He's fought in two rebellions, fought against Braavos, rode/fought with Dothraki and led armies for Dany. The last book showed just how tough the old bear seemed to be as well. He took a legendary beating/branding from these slavers and shrugged it off like it was nothing. Don't you think comparing him to your average knight is a bit of an insult? He's clearly in the upper echelon of fighters and I personally put him in league with folks around The Hound's skillset.

TV Jorah is a bit of a different animal. Iain Glen must have taken extensive lessons as he looks incredibly dangerous with a blade in his hand.

I did read somewhere he has some knowledge presumably a private hobbie/interest of swordfighting and fencing. A bit like Sean Bean on how he got his Sharpe role years ago. Still Iain is a badass with a sword in the show, by far the best and most natural.

You think Jorah is Beric? Beric was a walking pin cushion. Guy died all the time.

LOL!!

To be fair, maybe by around the 3rd or 4th death Beric was just going through the motions with battle thinking "no big deal, Thoros will bring me back"

Plus I think Beric in the books isn't far out of childhood, much younger and less experienced than the middle aged HBO Beric

Or Beric could have been fighting balls out just trying kamikaze moves in battle

LOL!!

To be fair, maybe by around the 3rd or 4th death Beric was just going through the motions with battle thinking "no big deal, Thoros will bring me back"

Plus I think Beric in the books isn't far out of childhood, much younger and less experienced than the middle aged HBO Beric

Or Beric could have been fighting balls out just trying kamikaze moves in battle

I'm not debating on Beric's skillset, but saying that he and Jorah are equal is a bit silly IMO.

I'm not debating on Beric's skillset, but saying that he and Jorah are equal is a bit silly IMO.

Oh I agree, Jorah on resume alone clearly has to be regarded as above average. I think it's implied in the books that he's earned a highly respected reputation as a fighter among people in Essos without nobility, and he fought in those Westeros battles and earned some fame there. A soldier on 2 different continents, he's no average Joe

bugger the Ifs and could have and shouldve

the fact is, jorah killed a bloodrider and bloodriders are like the kingsguard in the dothraki. plus, he was a kingsguard for one of the greatest khal ever. so yea.

:agree: Lots of people here are very dismissive of that fight. Just a Dothraki, what do they know? Well they know a lifetime dedicated to fighting everyone including each other, and Qotho has not only survived but has risen to the very top in an army of a hundred thousand warriors by being one of the most fearsome bad-asses of them all. Sure, Jorah was armoured and Qotho was not, but I think we know from Bronn that skilled fighters can indeed overcome a well-armoured but inferior opponent.

Jorah was a skilled Westerosi knight, and can add to that a lot of hard-earned experience fighting a very wide range of opponents in his long career as a mercenary. He's a solid fighter with an enormous amount of experience and very considerable battle-wiles. He'd come as a very nasty shock to any Westerosi opponent who'd mistake him for the same man who left Westeros.

He's not the best of the best, but he's damn good -- good enough that even the best of the best would have to be on their game to beat him.

As far as overall ability goes, at least above average. However, he's more battle-hardened than most due to all his years of fighting, which gives him a leg up on those in his comparable skill level. He hasn't slowed down too much due to age yet, though that's probably due to come in a few short years.

*side note* Why are so many ranking the Hound so low? The guy is a 7 foot tall killing machine. He only got hurt in one fight that we see where he was drunk as a skunk and fighting outnumbered.

Archived