How do you rate Jorah as a fighter?

Speaking of Jorah, why didn't he just join the Nights Watch when he was disgraced by selling off slaves. His dad's already there? Certainly he could have been the next Lord Commander, instead he slinks across the globe and becomes a sellsword? Seems ... weird.

Speaking of Jorah, why didn't he just join the Nights Watch when he was disgraced by selling off slaves. His dad's already there? Certainly he could have been the next Lord Commander, instead he slinks across the globe and becomes a sellsword? Seems ... weird.

He would have lost his wife, and the whole reason he sold the slaves was to get money to make her happy.

He ended up losing her anyway but Jorah sucks at relationships

He would have lost his wife, and the whole reason he sold the slaves was to get money to make her happy.

He ended up losing her anyway but Jorah sucks at relationships

Well once he got 'caught' i mean. Stark found out and wanted his head for selling slaves right? Well he could have just taken the black at that point, he had already lost his wife by the time he was 'caught' did he not?

Well once he got 'caught' i mean. Stark found out and wanted his head for selling slaves right? Well he could have just taken the black at that point, he had already lost his wife by the time he was 'caught' did he not?

Nah, he took his wife to Essos with him.

He ended up losing her to another lover over there

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Tourney_at_Lannisport

Both the Freys aren't no pushovers despite their surname plus Jason Mallister, Bronze Yohn, The Strongboar and finally the Kingslayer (Who is credited as one of the best jousters ever) I know it's a tourney but come on guys you don't beat all them in the same tourney with luck alone.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Tourney_at_Lannisport

Both the Freys aren't no pushovers despite their surname plus Jason Mallister, Bronze Yohn, The Strongboar and finally the Kingslayer (Who is credited as one of the best jousters ever) I know it's a tourney but come on guys you don't beat all them in the same tourney with luck alone.

It wasn't luck. He wanted it more than anyone else there.

And yeah, Jorah is definitely a very good fighter, but the fact he never distinguished himself at any other tourney points to the fact that he's only an average tourney knight, as he himself attests.

It wasn't luck. He wanted it more than anyone else there.

And yeah, Jorah is definitely a very good fighter, but the fact he never distinguished himself at any other tourney points to the fact that he's only an average tourney knight, as he himself attests.

Is it recorded that he actually entered any other tourneys? Not arguing I just don't know. On a different note Khal Drogo respected him, granted he saved Dany's life but Drogo seemed like the sort of chap to only respect strength and martial prowess.

Seasoned and battle-hardened are the terms I would use. Along with that comes a great body, big, insanly strong and durable. His swordskill as such is not prodigious, but seeing that he distinguished himself in battle more often than not has to account for talent. Seems to be a threat on horseback, considering that he is a renowned tourney knight. Held commanding positions with the Second Sons, Dany and probably in Westeros, e.g. a capable leader and battle commander.

I think describing him as average is not fair, if you look at this attractive overall package. Being a good knight (=fighter) is no thing measured by one type of skill, but by a combination of all the above. We are talking about knights in real battle here, nbot tourney knights that need only two skills (jousting/swordfighting). Most of the knights described as super badass in this thread have not shown such a broad skillset (for example Garlan was seen sparring with a sowrd once, describing him as the best knight out there is a bit far-fetched, though I would not deny the possibility).

If we want to rate Jorah in comparison to other fighters, comparisons to side characters are not helping, we should only take into account characters that had a larger impact in the series. For example, in a one-on-one, I am certain the Hound would have an edge due to his ferocity and high overall skill, but Jorah is certainly a better commander and more reliable in battle (is not afraid of fire). I would rate him below Barristan and Randyll Tarly by an overall comparison, but easily above all side characters mentioned thrice in the series that are perceived as super badass just because they have fine sword skills.

Seasoned and battle-hardened are the terms I would use. Along with that comes a great body, big, insanly strong and durable. His swordskill as such is not prodigious, but seeing that he distinguished himself in battle more often than not has to account for talent. Seems to be a threat on horseback, considering that he is a renowned tourney knight. Held commanding positions with the Second Sons, Dany and probably in Westeros, e.g. a capable leader and battle commander.

I think describing him as average is not fair, if you look at this attractive overall package. Being a good knight (=fighter) is no thing measured by one type of skill, but by a combination of all the above. We are talking about knights in real battle here, nbot tourney knights that need only two skills (jousting/swordfighting). Most of the knights described as super badass in this thread have not shown such a broad skillset (for example Garlan was seen sparring with a sowrd once, describing him as the best knight out there is a bit far-fetched, though I would not deny the possibility).

If we want to rate Jorah in comparison to other fighters, comparisons to side characters are not helping, we should only take into account characters that had a larger impact in the series. For example, in a one-on-one, I am certain the Hound would have an edge due to his ferocity and high overall skill, but Jorah is certainly a better commander and more reliable in battle (is not afraid of fire). I would rate him below Barristan and Randyll Tarly by an overall comparison, but easily above all side characters mentioned thrice in the series that are perceived as super badass just because they have fine sword skills.

Hear, Hear!!! Jorah as an overall package is a must have for any House in Westeros. I mean I agree with jousting malarky, it doesn't make a great fighter but it is one decent trait. Jorah the one vs one combatant = very skilled and deadly. I'd say in the top ten of known fighters in Westeros maybe similar in skill to Garlan, Halfhand, most of the Kingsguard (post Aerys) but obviously not nere Jamie, Selmy, Hound, Mountain.

However Jorah the overall package Warrior, Adviser, General, Administrator etc is perhaps not far off Tywin. I mean he's certainly intelligent enough to see Tywins ploy in his banishment and granted he is advising a child to begin with but this is taking place over the continent of Essos encountering many different cultures and dangers not just the 'normal' people of westeros.. I think he has done pretty damn well as a overall Leader/General/Advisior.

I'd say he's on the Jon-level, and I kind of mentally connect his fighting style/skill with Mance, although he's probably not as good.
Based on the circumstances, I think he would stand a chance against both of them.
Him and Brienne are probably pretty evenly matched, but again it depends on the setting.
The Hound and Garlan would eat him alive though.

Is it recorded that he actually entered any other tourneys? Not arguing I just don't know. On a different note Khal Drogo respected him, granted he saved Dany's life but Drogo seemed like the sort of chap to only respect strength and martial prowess.

Yes, in the same story about that tourney he tells Daenerys that he tried to recreate "the magic" with his former wife by entering a lot of other tourneys, and that this was one of the big ways he bankrupted his house (in westeros, when you lose in a tourney you have to give your opponent your horse and armor, or ransom/trade to get them back - for more info see The Hedge Knight).

And yeah, that's true about Drogo. Jorah is obviously a very good fighter, seasoned, brutally strong and quite skilled (though not elite). He says to Dany that he "fights as well as any man" but I think based on how we see him in ADWD that is some false modesty.

Yes, in the same story about that tourney he tells Daenerys that he tried to recreate "the magic" with his former wife by entering a lot of other tourneys, and that this was one of the big ways he bankrupted his house (in westeros, when you lose in a tourney you have to give your opponent your horse and armor, or ransom/trade to get them back - for more info see The Hedge Knight).

And yeah, that's true about Drogo. Jorah is obviously a very good fighter, seasoned, brutally strong and quite skilled (though not elite). He says to Dany that he "fights as well as any man" but I think based on how we see him in ADWD that is some false modesty.

Many thanks for that. I have read the books a few years back and just could not remember. Shame I still think he's a beast and like you said he is physically strong and powerfully built I mean he's the old Bears only Son. Looking forward to how his character will progress in TWOW and season 5.

Many thanks for that. I have read the books a few years back and just could not remember. Shame I still think he's a beast and like you said he is physically strong and powerfully built I mean he's the old Bears only Son. Looking forward to how his character will progress in TWOW and season 5.

Me too. He's one of my faves, and he HAS to get back to Dany. Ultimately I hope he gets to the wall with her and Tyrion, but we'll see.

As for the show I cannot wait for any and all scenes with Tyrion and Jorah, those two actors are wonderful!

Me too. He's one of my faves, and he HAS to get back to Dany. Ultimately I hope he gets to the wall with her and Tyrion, but we'll see.

As for the show I cannot wait for any and all scenes with Tyrion and Jorah, those two actors are wonderful!

Agree 100% Peter and Iain are gems for GOT I kind of think that if Jorah somehow survives it all he'll end up as the LC of the NW, at least in the show. The trailers don't seem to show them together though which is one of the things I loved most from the books, pity. Although at least we get more Varys, him and tyrion are just as amazing.

Agree 100% Peter and Iain are gems for GOT I kind of think that if Jorah somehow survives it all he'll end up as the LC of the NW, at least in the show. The trailers don't seem to show them together though which is one of the things I loved most from the books, pity. Although at least we get more Varys, him and tyrion are just as amazing.

I am 100% sure hey will be traveling together in the show. They don't want to spoil them meeting in the trailer. Don't worry - it will probably be around ep 3 I bet. The showrunners love Tyrion and Jorah no way they aren't using them to the fullest.

I have always hoped he'd be the final LC as well but I don't see him taking the black unless Dany is dead. :(

I am 100% sure hey will be traveling together in the show. They don't want to spoil them meeting in the trailer. Don't worry - it will probably be around ep 3 I bet. The showrunners love Tyrion and Jorah no way they aren't using them to the fullest.

I have always hoped he'd be the final LC as well but I don't see him taking the black unless Dany is dead. :(

Good point! didn't think of it from that angle. I'm kind of hoping Dany dies. Don't get me wrong I love Emilia I think she is absolutely amazing and hopefully she'll be a star forever but her character is just a bitch.

On a different note do you see Bronns demise this season. In the spirit of Arys Oakhart indirectly?

I don't know how good a fighter he is in comparison with others, but he is pretty damn good at keeping himself and those who he cares about alive. Jorah is a character which fighting skills and intelligence are too often underestimated by many book readers, and I don't understand why.

Apparently in the tv show this season he is going to do a lot of fighting so I wouldn't be surprised if at the end of it, TV watchers rated him as one of the very best of the series.

I think he's pretty underrated by a lot of folks on the boards. He's fought in two rebellions, fought against Braavos, rode/fought with Dothraki and led armies for Dany. The last book showed just how tough the old bear seemed to be as well. He took a legendary beating/branding from these slavers and shrugged it off like it was nothing. Don't you think comparing him to your average knight is a bit of an insult? He's clearly in the upper echelon of fighters and I personally put him in league with folks around The Hound's skillset.

TV Jorah is a bit of a different animal. Iain Glen must have taken extensive lessons as he looks incredibly dangerous with a blade in his hand.

Archived