How do you rate Jorah as a fighter?

Wooooo! Eddard was a fantastic warrior. He took care of those Lannister Guardsmen and went toe to toe with a healthy and arrogant Ser Jaime Lannister.

That is show Ned not book Ned.

Personally i consider him on the Garlan, Sandor level. I.e. one of the best fighters right now. Prior to his exile he was already a great fighter having fought so well at Pyke that Robert himself knighted him. Then he goes to Essos and has been making his living as a mercenary. Considering the Dothraki value strength above all and Khal Drogo seemed to have respect for him i'd say he's pretty good and he did kill one of his bloodriders. So where would you put him against the best in Westeros?

I think you're grossly overestimating Jorah's abilities.

I think he's well above average, but nowhere close to Garlan and Sandor.

Had either one of them had the same penchant for fame like Loras, they'd be considered the best of their generation. Loras himself is widely considered incredible, and we know that Garlan and Sandor are better.

He won a tourney against some pretty dangerous fellows, but while it can also be considered a one-off, he did win.

Jousting doesn't equal fighting though.

the fact is, jorah killed a bloodrider and bloodriders are like the kingsguard in the dothraki. plus, he was a kingsguard for one of the greatest khal ever. so yea.

The Bloodrider has almost certainly never faced a knight as heavily armoured as Jorah, and is weilding a weapon that is not designied to pierce armour. And yet he still manages to cut through the mail and into Jorahs hip, if it hadn't been for the blade lodging there, Jorah would have been killed. He was extremely lucky to survive that fight.

Wooooo! Eddard was a fantastic warrior. He took care of those Lannister Guardsmen and went toe to toe with a healthy and arrogant Ser Jaime Lannister.

Balon Greyjoy and Roose Bolton didn't get gully until after Eddard and Robert were gone.

http://youtu.be/7L8ByreRfUo

Ser Jorah is above average but Daario, and others could have easily slain him.

Lol and what has Daario done exactly? I'm so keen to see Jorah kill Daario. Vic can kill Hizdahr but Jorah killing Daario would be hilarious

• 11 months later...

I'd consider him to be one of the better fighters in the books. He's spoken honestly about his fighting prowess in the past and believes he can hang in with most any knight not on horseback. He's not a Barristan Selmy by any means, but I think it's a safe assessment he's in the same league as The Hound. Minus the character defects.

Show Jorah is a different animal. He's top tier all the way. Jorah, Two handed Jaime and The Viper have all wrecked face.

I've always assumed that Jorah was a bit above average when it came to his swordsmanship , but well above average when it came to endurance. He's not the best, but when his toughness and experience are combined it turns him into a pretty lethal knight.

martin himself has said that its impossible to determine the best fighter because the top tier are all very close in skill. his quote was something like 'what the two fighters ate for breakfast could be the determining factor.' what im getting at with this is jorah isnt in that top tier class though. jorah is no slouch but garlan is one of the best swordsman and sandor is seen as one of the top fighters despite always being drunk or hungover.

the 'jorah won a jousting tournament!' argument isnt really valid here either. off the top of my head im not sure about garlans history in tournaments but sandor has had some success too. if it wasnt for thoros' flaming sword, sandor wouldve won a couple melees. not to mention he was named the winner of the joust at neds tourney by beating renly, jaime and fighting off the mountain when its implied that sandor couldve killed him.

i dont agree with the people labeling jorah as an average knight but im definitely not going to put him in the elite class.

Pretty good, in addition to the childhood trainng, there are years of experience fighting for Robert Baratheon plus the years in Essos sellswording would make him something fierce.

At the moment I'd give him a fair shot against Selmy, being that Selmy is super old and a Jorah is probably only slightly past his prime

Archived