[NO SPOILERS] "Positive Nitpicking" - What you loved about the episode (READ THE OP)

shiola

Contrary to general comment I believe that Shireen's scene with Melisandre was the most important of the episode. Remember, GRRM wrote the script for The Lion and the Rose and he didn't include that scene has just filler. Shireen is after all the legit Crown Princess - I predict she is going to come up huge when all is said and done.

One thing I really enjoyed was the blocking at the purple wedding, as Joffrey went from asshole to flaming asshole to nuclear-powered asshole.

(Blocking is what actors are doing when they don't have any lines. Usually it's just a matter of not drawing attention to oneself or 'upstaging' the speaker. In this case it's the reactions of non-speakers to the actor 'in the spotlight.')

You of course expect characters like Tyrion or Sansa to show disgust with practically everything that Joffrey does, just as you expect others like Mace, Olenna and Margaery to show a bit of an undercurrent, but also show that they're trying to be polite for the sake of the occasion and hide most of it. That was VERY well done by all the actors IMO.

What I really enjoyed though were the looks exchanged between Tywin and Cersei. They start off being indulgent, but by the time Joff starts hacking at Tyrion's gift with his newly-named sword, you can see Tywin beginning to disapprove. Later, during the dwarf jousting farce, he's really seething, and casting daggers at Joff.

Best of all are the looks Tywin's giving Cersei, who is now getting spill-over from his disgust with Joffrey. He may as well be saying out loud, "OK, you had your chance, and you've proved yourself incapable of controlling your son. OK. I'm taking over starting now and I WILL rein him in, king or not."

Acting when you have lines to read is a piece of cake compared to acting with just gestures, glances and facial expressions. Charles Dance really shows his chops in this scene.

Back to Ramsay, his unexpectedly warm greeting to Fat Walda. But that's how Ramsay works. If anything should happen to Roose, Ramsay will eat Fat Walda alive.

Yeah. You can just see his wheels spinning. Good job by Iwan Rheon. He'll have that same smile on his face when he rips her throat out with his teeth.

Jelpy

One thing I really enjoyed was the blocking at the purple wedding, as Joffrey went from asshole to flaming asshole to nuclear-powered asshole.

(Blocking is what actors are doing when they don't have any lines. Usually it's just a matter of not drawing attention to oneself or 'upstaging' the speaker. In this case it's the reactions of non-speakers to the actor 'in the spotlight.')

You of course expect characters like Tyrion or Sansa to show disgust with practically everything that Joffrey does, just as you expect others like Mace, Olenna and Margaery to show a bit of an undercurrent, but also show that they're trying to be polite for the sake of the occasion and hide most of it. That was VERY well done by all the actors IMO.

What I really enjoyed though were the looks exchanged between Tywin and Cersei. They start off being indulgent, but by the time Joff starts hacking at Tyrion's gift with his newly-named sword, you can see Tywin beginning to disapprove. Later, during the dwarf jousting farce, he's really seething, and casting daggers at Joff.

Best of all are the looks Tywin's giving Cersei, who is now getting spill-over from his disgust with Joffrey. He may as well be saying out loud, "OK, you had your chance, and you've proved yourself incapable of controlling your son. OK. I'm taking over starting now and I WILL rein him in, king or not."

Acting when you have lines to read is a piece of cake compared to acting with just gestures, glances and facial expressions. Charles Dance really shows his chops in this scene.

Completely agree. I particularly like how Tommen and Sansa react when Joff pours wine on Tyrion.

• 3 weeks later...

I loved that Oberyn and Loras flirtation :leer: (crossing my fingers for more).

It's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment, but Oberyn does check out Loras at the Sept of Baelor ;) : https://www.facebook.com/RenlyBaratheonAndLorasTyrell/photos/a.312277892210602.62951.312222852216106/506108686160854/?type=1&relevant_count=1 Oberyn clearly thinks that the dashing young knight is more attractive than the gorgeous new Queen! (I'm assuming that it's a reference to the novels, where Loras is considered to be prettier than Margaery.)

This is probably not an important detail, but I've noticed that Michele Clapton has used the same pink floral print on Loras' sleeves and Oberyn's wrap around belt in this episode: https://www.facebook.com/RenlyBaratheonAndLorasTyrell/photos/a.312277892210602.62951.312222852216106/512029318902124/?type=1&relevant_count=1

It's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment, but Oberyn does check out Loras at the Sept of Baelor ;) : https://www.facebook.com/RenlyBaratheonAndLorasTyrell/photos/a.312277892210602.62951.312222852216106/506108686160854/?type=1&relevant_count=1 Oberyn clearly thinks that the dashing young knight is more attractive than the gorgeous new Queen! (I'm assuming that it's a reference to the novels, where Loras is considered to be prettier than Margaery.)

This is probably not an important detail, but I've noticed that Michele Clapton has used the same pink floral print on Loras' sleeves and Oberyn's wrap around belt in this episode: https://www.facebook.com/RenlyBaratheonAndLorasTyrell/photos/a.312277892210602.62951.312222852216106/512029318902124/?type=1&relevant_count=1

Whoa, good eyes! I love it.

Whoa, good eyes! I love it.

It just goes to show how infatuated I am with Loras and Oberyn :P , and I'm glad that a fellow shipper can appreciate the little easter eggs. :) (I am the administrator for the Facebook page that I've shared above, in case anyone might be wondering.)

Archived