How to storm each stronghold

"At the Twins, the Green Fork runs deep and swift."

I highly doubt any serious effect could come of trying to dam the river downstream. Perhaps getting into boats upstream and trying to take the bridge between the Twins would be a viable option.

You wouldn't have to dam it. You could move the main channel away from under the Twins. There are more than a couple of examples of this in the ME in the classical period, both the Tigris and Euphrates. Hammurabi and Larsa is one that comes to mind.

Except for defense purposes, is Riverrun dependent on the river itself in any capacity?

Like wouldn't just put a lot of corpses, shit and what not into the upstream river affect the Castle negatively?

They might have a well though IIRC, so they could the drinking water at least from somewhere else at least.

Except for defense purposes, is Riverrun dependent on the river itself in any capacity?

Like wouldn't just put a lot of corpses, shit and what not into the upstream river affect the Castle negatively?

They might have a well though IIRC, so they could the drinking water at least from somewhere else at least.

There is a water wheel in one of the towers, which implies they are using it for something (ie grinding grain into flour). I think it's mostly defense though. The sluice gate allows them to make it an island in conjunction with the two forks.

You wouldn't have to dam it. You could move the main channel away from under the Twins. There are more than a couple of examples of this in the ME in the classical period, both the Tigris and Euphrates. Hammurabi and Larsa is one that comes to mind.

Could you be more specific with the example? I looked for Hammurabi and Larsa and couldn't find anything. I never thought there were examples or such engineering on major rivers from so long ago and I'm curious as to how they did it.

Could you be more specific with the example? I looked for Hammurabi and Larsa and couldn't find anything. I never thought there were examples or such engineering on major rivers from so long ago and I'm curious as to how they did it.

Never really knew about about the specifics: Larsa siege. It doesn't seem like anyone else does either.

Here's the one I was looking for initially but couldn't remember who did it:

By the year 540 BCE, Cyrus captured Elam and its capital, Susa. Cyrus moved into Babylonia and fought the Battle of Opis in or near the strategic riverside city of Opis on the Tigris, north of Babylon. The Babylonian army was routed, and Cyrus conquered Babylon without any significant resistance. Herodotus explains that to accomplish this feat, the Persians diverted the Euphrates river into a canal so that the water level dropped "to the height of the middle of a man's thigh", which allowed the invading forces to march directly through the river bed to enter at night.

http://www.ancient.eu.com/Cyrus_II/

I know we have quotes about how unassailable Moat Cailin is from the South but do you really think its harder than any other stronghold? It seems to me that if you're willing to lose scores of men you could batter down the gate on the walkway and then once you're in the fort is yours.

moat calin is three towers strategically posistions on a narrow causeway surrounded by impenetrable swamps if your lucky you'll be able to match your men 3 abreast more likely 2 and they'll simply be picked off before they even got to the gate

Archived