"Trinity" theory and new perspective n Ragnarök analogy

Rhodan

Once again I had kinda too much free time once in a while and I´ve had some new ideas, something about what will happen and generally how Martin writes.

I have thought about the famous Ragnarök theory (for reference - http://gameofthronesandnorsemythology.blogspot.com) and ´that it really might be not as literal as Doran the Historian thinks, but on the other hand it can´t be utterly dismissed. Anyway one of the reocurring things in the subtext of ASOIAF is that there are two faces of House Targaryan and these are going to clash in one final battle.

What caught my attention was name of Balerion the black dread."Bal" is the very famous mythological sound from semitic Baal trough norse Baldur to celtic Balor the Formosian. Unlike some proponents of Ragnarök theory I don´t think Joffrey represented Baldur at all. However, the motive is there, in fact first two times it´s in the name. Baelor the Blessed was king who might have been insane, but in his case, he was trying to be unnaturally good and pious person. They say he died by fasting, but it´s not sure. Baelor the Brakespear was probably the best Targeryen of his generation and died becouse he was saving Dunk. Now there was Rheagar, who was also described by everyone as the best person ever and (that´s stretched part) died becouse of woman, as danish version Baldur. Also, Lyanna loved blue winter roses, that connected ancient Stark daughter and Bael the Bard.

The reason I´m listing it is to show how Martin is recycling the motive of "goodness that exists seemingly for nothing". However this motive also is connected to resurrection gods (as Baldur is) and, in fact, Jon Snow might get exactly that and continue to be ASOIAF version of central hero, although we still can´t be sure how exactly that will look like.

The second trinity that Martin used to the point it almost seems amaturish, is the exact opposite, "sadistic madman" on or close to the throne. First chronologically was Aerion the Brightflame, second Aerys II Targaryen and third Joffrey Baratheon. They might be all Targaryens (if you believe certain theory) and Aerion´s death might have not been accident as people think. However I think that this too, is a case of certain "dragon has three heads" scenario and just like Rheagar is followed by more sophisticated Jon, there is still space for a strong villain who might resemble them. This in fact can be already represented Euron, but also possibly Daenerys (Martin recently commented how in TWOW, she is finally accepting words of her house ) or FAegon.It might sound cliché, but it really looks to me that these two faces of Targaryen house will finally fight directly in the future books.

I would also like to point out that Bran Stark might be also follower of his own set of predeccesors, in his case of those, who shared his family name. In their tradition he might be used to destroy the Wall, in fact.

Archived