George RR Martin is the greatest teacher of empathy in our age.

I found, as i was reading the ASOIAF novels, that I was beginning to build up great amounts of empathy for other people in my life. I particularly noticed this after reading Jaime's ASOS arch, where we discover that the public opinion on Jaime (both within the story and among readers) was completely undeserving. The intricate structure of the character POV's, with each character having different opinions on any subject, has obviously revealed to me that it works the same way in the real world, but even more complex.

Have any of you had the same effect from reading GRRM's novels?

I found, as i was reading the ASOIAF novels, that I was beginning to build up great amounts of empathy for other people in my life. I particularly noticed this after reading Jaime's ASOS arch, where we discover that the public opinion on Jaime (both within the story and among readers) was completely undeserving. The intricate structure of the character POV's, with each character having different opinions on any subject, has obviously revealed to me that it works the same way in the real world, but even more complex.

Have any of you had the same effect from reading GRRM's novels?

LOL, maybe a little, but I think it's more so more the years of my own life, my age, and my experiences that add up to me trying to view things from a variety of POVs,, in the Real World, I mean.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't particularly agree. The way a person is in real life shapes them and their emotions and attitudes towards other people and situations far more than any work of fiction does.

ETA: And seriously, are you really saying GRRM is more influential and important in building empathy and understanding than someone like Martin Luther King Jr???

Partially.

But what I like most of it is how GRRM through this empathy misleads the reader. That's especially prevalent in Jaime: The public opinion you mentioned is completely deserved, though for different reasons. Through some unfair accusations cleared up and three sympathethic PoVs, he is basically cleared of all the rotten shit he has done.

Archived