Joanna and Marla Prester

With the Lannister family tree coming out, we have learned interesting tidbits about the family including Marla Prester, Joanna's mother.We learn that she was considerably older than her husband. This made me think about something. Was the age of Joanna's mother in relation to her father an influence when she was arranging the Jaime/ Elia match with the Princess of Dorne. Many posters have commented on the fact that Elia the female was years older than Jaime, which usually isn't.that big of a deal the other way around. Maybe this wasn't something she dwelt on because of.her.mother. Any thoughts?

I don't think marrying older women is a huge deal in Westeros. Elia was even older than Rhaegar. I don't think anyone saw Joffrey/Margaery or Tommen/Margaery as abnormal.

But you could be right, an Elia/Jaime marriage would be a 9 year age difference. That might have been seen as a bit weird, and Joanna's parent's age difference, as well as her age difference with Tywin, might have made her more ok with it.

I'd just like to point out that Marla Prester is not necessarily Joanna's mother. She may have been the Stackspear girl. Obviously Marla would've raised her, and thus your point is still valid (unless she was raised by the Stackspears). But as has been said, age disparity between noble marriages doesn't seem to be that big of a deal in most cases.

The Stackspear girl died, yes, but the reading doesn't mention the fate of the daughter. I'd like to think she survived. She may have been raised at the Stackspear's keep if her grandparents accepted her. She may have been a reminder of (perhaps perceived) ill-treatment of their daughter and they didn't really want anything to do with her. Otherwise, yes, she'd be raised at CR with Marla as her mother figure.

If the Stackspear-Lannister daughter was Joanna, then I think it's probable she was raised at CR with Stafford (mentioned as her brother - if they grew up apart perhaps this relationship would be noted as more distant?) and in close proximity to Tywin. If she's just another random character and Joanna is Marla's biological daughter then these points are a given.

Archived