Religions of Westeros--parallel to real world religions

Torrence Jayne

I see the Old Gods taking inspiration from Animisn. (Paganism is too varied a term and encompasses many religions that do not resemble the old gods in the slightest, for example the religion of the ancient Romans)

The Seven and R'hllor drawing mainly from various aspects of Christianity.

I try real hard not to get into comparisons like this when reading. It's a fictional world, so it has its own rules.

However, the whole Rh'llor thing is apparently some kind of Dualism.

The Sept of the Seven is some kind of Panentheism.

Old Gods...I don't know. Shamanism, with some RPG magic mixed in.

The Drowned God and the Storm God are just assholes.

Old Gods= pagan religions in Europe before Europe became Christian

Faith of the Seven= Catholicism. Septas Septons are the equivalents of monks and nuns, the High Septon and his roles and influence is similar to the Pope's role and influence in Medieval Europe.

R'hillor- The fire worshipping aspect is similar to Zoroastrianism

Drowned God- based upon Viking religion and Norse myths before they converted to Christianity

Pretty much this. But I am not sure where the Great Other and Him of the Many faces would fit.

Him of the many faces could be Plouton-Hades-Aidoneus

Honestly, the 'religions' in this series are pretty goofy.

The Northmen don't even have a rite. They just sit in front of trees and meditate. How is that a religion?

Then there's the Ironborn...I know Victarion is just a simple reaver and all, but cutting someone's throat and dumping him into the sea has to be the laziest sacrifice ever.

And the Faceless Men are pretty much just assassins.

Any religion can seem odd from the outside. Christianity's Communion ceremony, for starters, involves drinking "blood" and eating the "body" of Jesus.

No, what I mean is, there really isn't a whole lot of depth to the religions in the books. I'm pretty sure I've played video games that had better thought out religions than ASOIAF.

But, I am okay with that.

Hey, posting first time ever :)

Just a thought on the older religions of Essos - The Mother Rohyne and the Rohynar seems slightly like the river/mother Goddesses in Hinduism. Also that it was a river valley culture and is now destroyed makes me think It could be inspired by The Indus / Ganga civilisations in India. Also about the great turtle in the Rohyne - Pre-Islamic South East Asia has a lot of world turtle myths.

Considering the Rohynar settled in Drone with Nymeriya and the current Dornish look Middle Eastern/South Asian and love hot spicy food - It would fit right ?

Archived