Dany's orders in Astapor (Not a hate thread)

Game Of Thrones

In Pentos slavery is forbidden as well. And whatever these people were, Dany was a pawn and a guest not a slaver. What I find so galling about this sort of thinking is that you keep talking of children killed intentionally when the book mentions none. There is no reason to question the loyalty of the unsullied and what they were ordered to kill were the Good Masters, the soldiers and the men who wear tokars or hold whips. This is what the text tells us and the rest, these hypothetical casualties of which you speak, are your personal canon.

You undermine your own point. It's exactly because the Unsullied will carry out their orders to the letter, that the easily-met criteria for warranting death as per Dany's orders are extra troubling. The book mentions these casualties just fine by giving us Dany's orders verbatim, and showing us Dany witnessing one of her own bloodriders shooting people, regardless of status (plain fringed tokars). As long as they meet one of the criteria set down by Dany - they die.

Pentos may have outlawed slavery, but Illyrio keeps de-facto slaves for all that, including sex-slaves, and Dany lives in his house and benefits from his generosity, including enslaved servants. Therefore, she is every bit as guilty as some of those she later targets with death. The same goes for her keeping slaves in the Khalasar, or convincing Khal Drogo to instigate his campaign to get her the Iron Throne, something that involves the mass murder and enslavement of the Lhazarene people. I've said time and again that yes, Dany doesn't wield absolute power in those situations, but neither does any but the highest echelons of Astapori society, and yet Dany targets everyone, including the 12-year olds.

You undermine your own point. It's exactly because the Unsullied will carry out their orders to the letter.

If they carry the orders to the letter and Dany did not ask them to kill everyone over twelve, then where do we stand?

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but I feel now inclined to believe that your hatred for Dany lies within the fact that her actions simply bore you. Otherwise I can't explain why we're having this conversation because taking precautions to ensure that children are not harmed is the last thing for which she deserves to be criticized.

Pentos may have outlawed slavery, but Illyrio keeps de-facto slaves for all that, including sex-slaves, and Dany lives in his house and benefits from his generosity, including enslaved servants. Therefore, she is every bit as guilty as some of those she later targets with death. The same goes for her keeping slaves in the Khalasar, or convincing Khal Drogo to instigate his campaign to get her the Iron Throne, something that involves the mass murder and enslavement of the Lhazarene people. I've said time and again that yes, Dany doesn't wield absolute power in those situations, but neither does any but the highest echelons of Astapori society, and yet Dany targets everyone, including the 12-year olds.

The people she targets for death are, as I mentioned before, Good Masters, soldiers, men (not children) with tokars/whips. This does not include everyone over twelve.

These slavers were raised by and alongside slavers. I'll save my tears for the slaves, thank you, not the ones who would grow up to enslave.

For me, her only real crime here is not killing all the slavers in the city. Might as well weed the whole rotten garden when getting your hands dirty.

So, according to your logic, Tommen and Myrcella would deserve death because they are raised by and alongside people like Cersei, Tywin and Joffrey who are responsible for a lot of death and suffering. According to your logic they would grow up to be the same and it would be no crime to kill them. Do you really advocate this? If the answer is "no" for Tommen and Myrcella, but "yes" for children of slavers, then your reasoning is inconsistent.

Archived