point I would like to make about littlefinger's grasp on the vale

Starkfaithful85

people say that LF's buying of debt makes it easy for the vale lords to dispose of him by simply killing him. I would like to bring up some points about this

1 LF is known to be from bravvos and due to his borrowing from the IB i would be that he has a good working relationship with them

2 I think that when LF bought the debt, assuming he bought it from the iron bank, he must have seen how much easier it would be for a debtee to off him and be rid of the payment I think LF has the IB backing his collection of the debt, making the idea that the lords declarant can just kill him to wipe the slate clean not plausible

1) Littlefinger's great-grandfather was from Braavos. I believe Littlefinger was born on the Fingers in Westeros.

2) Why would the Iron Bank want to kill Littlefinger to collect the debt? According to Tycho Nestoris, the person on the throne needs to pay it (or their small council) and Littlefinger is no longer Master of Coin.

Littlefinger plans to pay off Lady Waynwood's debt. It's how he got her to approve a marriage between Sansa (Alayne) and Harrold Hardyng, the heir to the seat of Arryn. Littlefinger has no intention of paying off the Iron Throne's debt. Embezzling it was probably how he became rich in the first place.

I'm not sure how or when Littlefinger pays Waynwood's debt, but I'm inclined to believe it's non-revocable because it works with the theories I'm crafting that Littlefinger is walking into a trap.

I don't have a complete theory on it yet, but Jeyne Poole and Tycho Nestoris were in the same spot at the end of ADWD, and of course Sansa is currently in the Vale with LF. Unfortunately, the Theon spoiler chapter didn't shed any further light on whether or not any of the Northerns recognized who Jeyne really was and/or if the beans got spilled on her real identity.

I agree with Red Wedding Cake that LF may be walking into a trap, and largely of his own making, and someone may start connecting the dots from him being Master of Coin. We don't know how sophisticated forensic accounting is in the series tho.

Littlefinger plans to pay off Lady Waynwood's debt. It's how he got her to approve a marriage between Sansa (Alayne) and Harrold Hardyng, the heir to the seat of Arryn. Littlefinger has no intention of paying off the Iron Throne's debt. Embezzling it was probably how he became rich in the first place.

Although, if Stannis fails and the Bank needs another horse in that race, LF could volunteer King Harry and Queen Sansa. He could even offer to pay part of Robert's debt as a sign of trust, and then he'd be paying the Bank with their own coin, which is deliciously perverse.

But then again, the Bank might mistrust him from the get-go just for being the previous Master of Coin. I'll keep my crackpot that the Bank will turn to Asha if Stannis falls

Littlefinger could have been working with the Iron Bank of Braavos to bankrupt the crown, for all we know. The interesting news from Braavos could be Stannis courting the Iron Bank. We'd have to re-examine timelines and the Banks intentions.

To back Starkfaithful85's skepticism that Lady Waynwood and company could kill Littlefinger off once he's paid off her debts, which assumably happen once Sansa catches Harry the Heir's heart; Littlefinger takes precaution with Lord Nestor Royce's gift position should Baelish meet an untimely end:

"The signature... you might have had Lord Robbert put his hand and seal to it, but instead..."

"I signed myself, as Lord Protector. Why?"

"So... if you are removed, or... or killed..."

"...Lord Nestor's claim to the gates will suddenly be called into question. I promise you, that is not lost on him."

It's plausible Nestor Royce isn't actually on Littlefinger's side. Nestor has basically ruled the Vale for the last decade or so, and even tried to marry Lysa after Jon Arryn's death. But Littlefinger is indeed planning around his possible demise in contracts, at least. Regardless of loyalties.

It's also possible Waynwood doesn't actually care about Petyr paying her family's debts. She may be onto Sansa's true identity, and wants to get closer to Sansa to collect the reward from Varys. It's rather suspicious that she has the next heir to Arryn as a ward, and not a chapter or two earlier she was about to oust Littlefinger with the other Lord's Declarant.

Archived