Speculation about Jon Snow's future(Spoilers from ADWD)

Meraxes of House Stark

Ok so in order for you to continue reading you must follow the hypothesis: Jon Snow actually died after being stabbed a million times, but Melisandre brought him back to life.

So now that we are all on the same page lets continue.

Moments before his tragic demise Jon Snow announced to the Night's Watch as well as to the Queen's Men and the Wildlings that he was going south to lend aid to Stannis to free Winterfell and the North from Ramsey Snow/Bolton, who he believe wrote the Pink letter. And this was one of the immediate causes of his stabbing. I think that we all agree that Jon was going to break his oath by going south. Now that he has been brought back to life would he be oath breaking if he went south? In my opinion no he won't, reason... lets look at the Oath of the Nights Watch:

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

The Night's Watch oath

Yes, there is a loop hole in the oath. Technically since Jon died he is no longer a brother of the Nights Watch when he is brought back to life. And this brings us to the main topic question: How does this impact the story? Since he is now free from his oath Jon can re establish the Stark's in Winterfell(ie Rickon), become the prince that was promised, become Azor Ahai (although he could have done that in any case) and most importantly he could be the True Heir to the Throne (if you believe in R+L=J).

Truth be told this is only speculation and none of this could come to pass but I do enjoy thinking about different scenarios. Even if Jon is free from his oath, who knows, maybe he will want to say the words again. Please let me know what you think and feel free to poke holes in the theory.

P.S: i was unable to find any other thread similar to this but if there is one i apologize. I promise that i did not steal the idea from some one else, it just came to me while i was re-reading the books XD Also this is my first time posting so...Hello Forum XD

I think it is inevitable that Jon leaves the Wall, because I think he's done everything he can possibly do as LC of the Night's Watch. I think Jon has to leave in order to find out what he needs to find out. I don't know if he will get out of his oath because of the loop hole or because there will no longer be a NW (or a Wall) or whether he just simply says "Fuck this, I'm gone". All I know is that his story seems to be point to Jon dealing with a big change in circumstances.

Jon didn't say he was doing any of what you said, Jon said he was going to ambush Ramsay on his way to Castle Black because Castle Black has no southern defenses, unlike in the show.

Actually, Jon doesn't say that, either.

“The Night’s Watch takes no part in the wars of the Seven Kingdoms,” Jon reminded them when some semblance of quiet had returned. “It is not for us to oppose the Bastard of Bolton, to avenge Stannis Baratheon, to defend his widow and his daughter. This creature who makes cloaks from the skins of women has sworn to cut my heart out, and I mean to make him answer for those words ... but I will not ask my brothers to forswear their vows.

“The Night’s Watch will make for Hardhome. I ride to Winterfell alone, unless ...” Jon paused. “... is there any man here who will come stand with me?”

Basically, we have absolutely no idea what Jon's actual plan was. We know that he was going to go alone at first, and then recruited a small group of Wildlings to help him. But whatever his plan is, it would have to work if he were just alone, because he had no way of knowing if anyone would come with him.

^ Well your right, but I prefer to talk in terms of most likely scenarios, I find it much more likely that Jon intended to fight an open battle then storm Winterfell with wildlings.

Actually, I find it very UNLIKELY that Jon was planning on fighting at all. There are other ways to make Ramsay 'pay', and Jon knows Winterfell better than anyone (except Theon and any living Starks). He thinks that his sister is on the run from Winterfell, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if he planned on doing something AT Winterfell.

In any case, it's pretty much a moot point, as he will never get to execute his plan on account of being executed XD

Just as a reminder although the letter sent to Jon was allegedly signed by Ramsey, it was most likely someone else that actually wrote it. I say this because of the language used in the letter (go to Preston Jacobs channel and watch his video on The Pink Letter). This means that even if Jon set out to ambush Ramsey he would have either found no one to ambush or the person who wrote the letter( who i believe to be Mance Rayder)

Actually, I find it very UNLIKELY that Jon was planning on fighting at all. There are other ways to make Ramsay 'pay', and Jon knows Winterfell better than anyone (except Theon and any living Starks). He thinks that his sister is on the run from Winterfell, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if he planned on doing something AT Winterfell.

In any case, it's pretty much a moot point, as he will never get to execute his plan on account of being executed XD

Irony, you're doing it right.

As for the OP: I believe Jon is inside Ghost at the moment and it will take some powerful magic to get him back to his body, which will be kept in Ice Cells of the Wall. I think Jon has to leave the Wall. The rest of Westeros is pretty ignorant about what is coming and as the LC, it's up to him to inform people. He's been north of the Wall, not it's time to head south, trying to convince the Lords and smallfolk and eventually whoever is on the Iron Throne that the Others and the Long Night are coming. I don't think he'll ever reach KL because it will be burnt to the ground before he can.

The way he gets released from his vows is because he manipulates the way the vow was worded? Doubt it.

He'll be released from his vows when the white walkers inevitably bring down the wall. If there is no wall there is no nights watch.

I agree that the Wall is coming down, but I don't know if the WW will be responsible for it. If they had that power, they'd do it already. They need the horn of Joruman and I think it might be with Sam in Oldtown...and will likely be blown (probably out of curiosity or something) at some point in Winds.

Just as a reminder although the letter sent to Jon was allegedly signed by Ramsey, it was most likely someone else that actually wrote it. I say this because of the language used in the letter (go to Preston Jacobs channel and watch his video on The Pink Letter). This means that even if Jon set out to ambush Ramsey he would have either found no one to ambush or the person who wrote the letter( who i believe to be Mance Rayder)

Oh lord, those Preston Jacob videos are convoluted messes. Take that particular 'theory', in which he says "How would Tormund know what ink is if he doesn't know how to read or write?!" The logic gets stretched beyond belief, especially when he attempts to somehow connect the pink letter to the GNC.

I agree that the Wall is coming down, but I don't know if the WW will be responsible for it. If they had that power, they'd do it already. They need the horn of Joruman and I think it might be with Sam in Oldtown...and will likely be blown (probably out of curiosity or something) at some point in Winds.

Didn't Old Nan say "Beyond the Wall the monsters live, the giants and the ghouls, the stalking shadows and the dead that walk, she would say, tucking him in beneath his scratchy woolen blanket, but they cannot pass so long as the Wall stands strong and the men of the Night’s Watch are true."

I would say that the NW is no longer 'true'.

Oh lord, those Preston Jacob videos are convoluted messes. Take that particular 'theory', in which he says "How would Tormund know what ink is if he doesn't know how to read or write?!" The logic gets stretched beyond belief, especially when he attempts to somehow connect the pink letter to the GNC.

True but you cant deny that there is truth in some of the theories, like Mance being the author of the letter

True but you cant deny that there is truth in some of the theories, like Mance being the author of the letter

I don't think that we can assume that. If Ramsay really has Mance, he could easily find out all of those things- plus I don't understand why Mance would write that letter in the first place.

Didn't Old Nan say "Beyond the Wall the monsters live, the giants and the ghouls, the stalking shadows and the dead that walk, she would say, tucking him in beneath his scratchy woolen blanket, but they cannot pass so long as the Wall stands strong and the men of the Night’s Watch are true."

I would say that the NW is no longer 'true'.

Agreed. Also, irony: Marsh and his gang think that they are doing it "for the Watch" but they inadvertently cause the Wall to fall.

As i said the language used in the letter sounds like the writer is angry about the way the wildlings were treated and most importantly if Ramsey had Mance he would have sent a piece of skin (or something else) with the letter. All in all i don't think that the letter fits Ramsey's style.

I just don't see what the point would be for Mance or anyone else but Ramsay to write that letter. I doubt it is completely truthful (I seriously doubt that Stannis was killed, for example), but I don't see why anyone but Ramsay would write that kind of letter.

I agree that Stannis is not dead, but I think Mance has a lot of reason to write the letter, although truth be told he probably does not have the means to send the letter. I dont think he has been truthful with his people and there was actually another reason for going south, what that reason is i dont know... its all speculation and we wont know for sure until TWoW.

Heyo all,

First real post on the boards. Quick shout out to the starter of the post fellow member of House Stark Meraxes. I always believed the Wall was not Jon's final destination and I believe that his death will change his role in the story. However, I had not previously considered Jon being released from his oath upon his death as a possibility. Personally, I was a fan of him just saying f this and leaving (bad theory I know but I could not think of a neat way to get Jon off the Wall). I think we can all safely assume given all the info and time spend describing warging, Mel's magic, and Beric being able to return to life, that Jon is in some capacity alive. That being said, I believe that his resurrection will release him from his oath and Sam will be the one to realize this and somehow inform Jon (meeting up again, or finding out about the situation and sending a raven). From there, I believe Jon has some "vision" while dead where he learns something about his past and purpose and ultimately realizes he must leave the Wall.

Sidebar: if R+L=J holds true, is it possible Ned steered Jon towards a life in the NW to be near his only remaining kin, Aemon, in hopes he will eventually learn his identity. Thoughts on that.

Heyo all,

First real post on the boards. Quick shout out to the starter of the post fellow member of House Stark Meraxes. I always believed the Wall was not Jon's final destination and I believe that his death will change his role in the story. However, I had not previously considered Jon being released from his oath upon his death as a possibility. Personally, I was a fan of him just saying f this and leaving (bad theory I know but I could not think of a neat way to get Jon off the Wall). I think we can all safely assume given all the info and time spend describing warging, Mel's magic, and Beric being able to return to life, that Jon is in some capacity alive. That being said, I believe that his resurrection will release him from his oath and Sam will be the one to realize this and somehow inform Jon (meeting up again, or finding out about the situation and sending a raven). From there, I believe Jon has some "vision" while dead where he learns something about his past and purpose and ultimately realizes he must leave the Wall.

Sidebar: if R+L=J holds true, is it possible Ned steered Jon towards a life in the NW to be near his only remaining kin, Aemon, in hopes he will eventually learn his identity. Thoughts on that.

Welcome to the boards :)

My personal thoughts are that Jon isn't actually dead. However, if he does die, I think that his form of 'resurrection' will not be anything like we have seen already. What we have already seen leaves people partial, not whole. They are no longer the people they were. That won't work with Jon Snow- he still has to be himself. I don't think it will be Melisandre ressurecting him, I think that, if Jon is truly AAR/TPTWP, then he will have some sort of one-time magic like Dany had when she walked into the pyre. I think if Melisandre has to revive him, then it would defeat the purpose of him being AAR.

So, there are my thoughts. I think it will simply be cleaner for Jon to stay living and the NW to end up disbanded for one reason or another.

Archived