Is the Iron Throne actually the Valyrian Steel Throne ?

Gneisenau

The swords on the IT were heated with fire from a dragon called Balerion. VS is also made with dragonfire. So could it be possible that Iron Throne is actually the Valyrian Steel Throne. Valyrian Steel doesn't rust or loose it edge, so that explains why people 300 years later still get cut from it and how there is no rust on the Iron Throne.

Interesting theory though that in binding the swords into the throne, Balerion might have changed them to the equivalent of Valyrian steel. I also think there were spells using in Hotene forging of the throne, spells to prevent any future monarch from sitting too comfortably on it. I suppose I'm liking the iron throne to the Wall, in that the Wall protects itself, and it can be seen that the Iron throne does - constantly cutting King Aerys, cutting Joffrey and Cersei dreaming of being cut up on the iron throne... Might get back with the quotes for those points later... So I kind of do think that essentially the iron throne may be equal to Valyrian steel in the use of dragon fire to forge it and the ( possible spells used to bind it.)

Would be interesting if it was melted down and reforged and the resulting swords were used in the fight against the others...

Interesting theory though that in binding the swords into the throne, Balerion might have changed them to the equivalent of Valyrian steel. I also think there were spells using in Hotene forging of the throne, spells to prevent any future monarch from sitting too comfortably on it. I suppose I'm liking the iron throne to the Wall, in that the Wall protects itself, and it can be seen that the Iron throne does - constantly cutting King Aerys, cutting Joffrey and Cersei dreaming of being cut up on the iron throne... Might get back with the quotes for those points later... So I kind of do think that essentially the iron throne may be equal to Valyrian steel in the use of dragon fire to forge it and the ( possible spells used to bind it.)

Would be interesting if it was melted down and reforged and the resulting swords were used in the fight against the others...

I read a theory at one point that claimed to think that "Dragon steel" was like Valyrian steel but forged with an ice dragon instead of a standard fire dragon. I think that concept is absolutely ludicrous, but what you just said makes me think that the wall could have been created by an Ice dragon. This of course would imply that the Starks, or at least Brandon the Builder, had ice dragons of their own back in the day.

I'm sure that concept is also insane, but I have always believed that there was some magical aspect of the origin of the wall, and dragons are certainly magical.

Archived